aaa Lost,, with Yamaha CS1x + Cakewalk Pro 6 - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Lost,, with Yamaha CS1x + Cakewalk Pro 6

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             29-Mar-98  @  12:03 AM   -   Lost,, with Yamaha CS1x + Cakewalk Pro 6

whynot

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Okay, here's what I want to do:
Play a track in performance mode on my CS1x(this consists of up to 4 XG sounds at once).
Record the stuff I play.
Tweak it, with any available effects.
Then, I'd like to put it into Cakewalk as an audio
track. And tweak it some more there.
After that, I'd like to be able to play back what I've recorded while laying down another track in the above fashion.
This is because trying to figure out how to send stuff directly from the synth to my PC is making me insane. And because the CS1x won't let me use more than 1 performance voice at a time, which is annoying, cuz I bought the beastie for its cool performance voices, dammit!
So can I do this through a sampler? There are some that can take several minutes of input, depending on sampling rates, etc, right?
What would y'all recommend? Cheap is good, but I'll lay out cash for something that can handle this. I heard something about the E-mu Emax I... and the MC-303... all ideas would be greatly appreciated.
I am here: "whynot@gURLmail.com"

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             30-Mar-98  @  03:04 AM   -   RE: Lost,, with Yamaha CS1x + Cakewalk Pro 6

uh... me again

So... er... following up on my own post...
I found a used ES132(w/50+Meg)(is that possible?) for
$800, an Ensoniq ASRx for $1k, and some other stuff that really all sounds fabulous, but I'm gullible.
What the hell do I want? Talk to me, you knowledgeable bastards.
Oh, & by the way here's my gear setup, weak, but with potential I do believe--
PC Pentium 90, Cakewalk 6.0 Pro Audio (DELUXE, my dears), SoundBlaster AWE64 Gold, and Yamaha CS1x. Mmmm, I don't know if this is obvious but audio plays back through the soundcard and midi/XG through the synth.
With all apologies for my ignorance...

Message 3/9             30-Mar-98  @  10:21 AM   -   RE: Lost,, with Yamaha CS1x + Cakewalk Pro 6

kilo

blimey....... you're getting cake-6 to play on a P90 ?.....!!!..... er...... well, the system you describe should work.......what's the problem ?....... you dont say why it cant work ?.... by the way.... you can use more than one special voice......there is a way...... fucked if i know how tho..... but there is a way,,,,,,, er...... I think there is a button that assigns all layers to the same midi channel...... can't remember where i saw this now......
but playing stuff from the synth to the pc should be a doddle........ just send the synth to the soundcards inputs and record it....... the esi 32 is 23 mb max i think you'll find....... the asr is 32mb... the emax is 1mb.....no good for anything but small single bar lines..... you should stick with the pc playback for getting long times......

Message 4/9             31-Mar-98  @  06:35 AM   -   RE: Lost,, with Yamaha CS1x + Cakewalk Pro 6

whynot

Thanks for responding to my idiocy -- but transferring tracks and settings to the PC is anything but a doddle. It's a slow and painful hobble. So -- a sampler with about 32mb could be made to function this way? Any way to expand the memory in that Emax I? Is there another type of recording/transfer device that would be more suitable?
P.S. If you send me advice geared towards my severe dearth of knowledge, next time I'm hangin' with Jack Dangers I'll drop your name...and another thing--you can, technically speaking, get up to 4 Perf voices, but it's an evil method... gotta send each layer on a different channel to the same channel (which means you have to play up to 4 parts perfectly in time)... and that's not even addressing the complexity of just sending freakin settings for a layer... I don't want to talk about it. I'm bleeding from the eyes.

Message 5/9             31-Mar-98  @  03:17 PM   -   RE: Lost,, with Yamaha CS1x + Cakewalk Pro 6

Bozno

About the multiple performances on CS1x.... You have to patch change individual midi channels
to play the material voices etc... it's explained inthe blue book or on a CS1x faq... (type cs1x in
at yahoo to find them)
Anyway, point is, it's a pain, but then you still have to look at the individual tunings and transpositions of each layer... finally, the sound will probably sound completely different
then the original because you can't apply any effects to it... as on midi ch1 (main performance).

The material voices are pretty cool on their own though, if you tweak them right.

This doesn't help you at all, I know; but at least it puts this thread back at the top.

Message 6/9             31-Mar-98  @  06:35 PM   -   RE: Lost,, with Yamaha CS1x + Cakewalk Pro 6

kid303

Yeah,it's easier just to sample another performance.
But you can do a lot with those other material voices.

Message 7/9             03-Apr-98  @  04:29 AM   -   RE: Lost,, with Yamaha CS1x + Cakewalk Pro 6

whynot

Just to get this to the top once more...
Any advice on type of sampler? Amount of memory needed for 3+ minutes of sample time? Anything else more effective I could be using here (besides the brain case)?
........anyone?

Message 8/9             03-Apr-98  @  04:34 AM   -   RE: Lost,, with Yamaha CS1x + Cakewalk Pro 6

hey! you´re here right now?

Message 9/9             03-Apr-98  @  03:22 PM   -   RE: Lost,, with Yamaha CS1x + Cakewalk Pro 6

KILO

THE ASR-X IS MY CURRENT RAVE....... ADD 32 MB SIMMS AT ABOUT 25 QUID (PEANUTS).... AND YOU GET 3 MINS STEREO & 6 MINUTES MONO........ READ THE ASR-X PAGE.......(sampler section)

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)