aaa SoundDiver PC and E-Synth - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: SoundDiver PC and E-Synth

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             31-Mar-98  @  12:10 AM   -   SoundDiver PC and E-Synth

teepee

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

RE: SoundDiver PC and E-Synth problem

SoundDiver seems to work fine with my JV 2080 but none of the edit parameters have any effect on the E-Synth apart from the program change command. I know SoundDiver is a bit buggy but Emu are sending out a limited version of SoundDiver with the new units and Emu tech support have no problem with theirs. I've monitored the midi going out from SoundDiver which is reaching the target but I can't work out if it's the correct sysex message for the selected edit parameter - 'cos it ain't that easy
Anyway if anyone's got any ideas at all …………

Any ideas ?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             31-Mar-98  @  01:07 AM   -   RE: SoundDiver PC and E-Synth

Houseman

Lot of things could be the culprit here.

I suggest sending e-mail to Emagic's tech support.

There is a SoundDiver user list, and Emagic monitors this list on a regular basis. If you post this question to them, you will probably get a faster responce from the list than you would from Emagic's tech support. I don't know the address for the user list. Check Emagic's site, there might be a link.

http://www.emagic.de/english/

In the meantime, re-install the midi drivers on your PC and do the same to Soundiver. This might help.

Message 3/9             31-Mar-98  @  01:11 AM   -   RE: SoundDiver PC and E-Synth

Houseman

Also, is the E-Synth set up to recieve and transmit sysex messages? Is there a device ID that Soundiver needs to know about?

Message 4/9             31-Mar-98  @  11:35 AM   -   RE: SoundDiver PC and E-Synth

teepee

Thanks Houseman

Yeah - tried all that I'm afraid. I've had a message on the SoundDiver BBS for a month now with no response from Michael Haydn. It's also in Germany and I've just found out what my bill is for eagerly checking the board regularly ! I've been on to Emagic tech support which is provided by Sound Technology but they are baffled. They are going to E Mail Haydn direct to tell him to look at his BBS so fingers crossed. I'd just warn anybody thats looking for a universal editor/librarian to tread real carefully with SoundDiver 'cos it can be a long hard trail. Anyway thanks again for your ideas.

Message 5/9             02-Apr-98  @  01:27 AM   -   RE: SoundDiver PC and E-Synth

JiggyBoy

Any comments on the E-Synth?

jiggyboy

Message 6/9             02-Apr-98  @  09:36 AM   -   RE: SoundDiver PC and E-Synth

kilo

er........ well I called emu, and without knowing exactly your set-up, the only thing they could suggest was that possibly if you had a scsi lead plugged in, it may effect the E-synth's ability to recieve sysex properly, or in some way mess with the E-synth,,,,,

Message 7/9             02-Apr-98  @  05:09 PM   -   RE: SoundDiver PC and E-Synth

Tim

Kilo

Thanks for the reply and for the call to Emu - was it David you spoke to? Seems strange that scsi could be affecting the sysex transfer - the ports are on completely separate boards I believe. Besides surely everyone using the unit is going to have a scsi connection ? Sound Technology are trying to talk to Michael Haydn (prog. writer) direct as I'm encountering similar probs with comms to a Studio Quad.
Anyway ta very much - I'll post the solution here when I get to the bottom of it.

Jiggyboy

You wanted some comments on the E-Synth

So far I have to say most of my time has been spent troubleshooting new system problems but from my delvings so far it looks like it's gonna be a lotta fun. I don't know how much you know about it already but its got 16MB of onboard Rom (900 samples and 255 presets - the factory presets are not really that inspiring as usual but you can edit them and save them to flash), two effects processors programmable at master and preset level. If you're using it as a multi timbral unit bear in mind that you cannot have more than two effects running at one time although its got full resampling capabilities so you can whack on the effect, resample and free up the processor for other duties. Where the Emus really come into their own though is with the power of their synthesis and filtering. You have 18 "virtual" patchbays for each voice where you can route pretty much anything as a modulation source to pretty well any destination. Anyway all this stuff you can read in any of the mag reviews. I'll let you know more when I've had a chance to explore a little more. One thing though I definitely find the Akai interface more user friendly and the EOS manual can leave you feeling a bit like you do when you've been following road signs to some place and then get to a roundabout with six exits and… hey all of a sudden there's no sign to the place you want to get to.
Alright Jiggyboy if there's anything in particular you want to sound me out on you know where to find me.

Tim

Message 8/9             02-Apr-98  @  09:48 PM   -   RE: SoundDiver PC and E-Synth

dell.6

..okay,so the esynth is supposed to
be so shit hot...then why can't i find any reviews of it anywhere or get anybody that can tell me any more about it than it says on the e-mu web site...how's it sound?...what kind of market is it aimed at?...i want to get a workstation for doing heavier techno/industrial...is this gonna do it for me...i know the k2000s is the one everybody goes on about...but it's so old...how does the esynth compare to the k2000?...anyone,someone,please help!....trevor 

Message 9/9             03-Apr-98  @  03:27 AM   -   RE: SoundDiver PC and E-Synth

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

emu's are great, even the manual. Once you've gotten your head around the workings it gets very intuitive. I love my k2000, which offers more USEFUL processing than the emu's (a lot of the filters are a little silly and take time to process), and there's little initial difficulty of getting into it. In the end they're very close.

Personally, I like the way the Yamaha has the grid lain out on the front panel, so there's no damn soft buttons like with the other two, but all my friends that have them tell me they'd rather have my k2000. Go figure.

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)