aaa Gear suggestions and input - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Gear suggestions and input

Viewing all 11 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/11             02-Apr-98  @  08:05 PM   -   Gear suggestions and input

chad_mitchell

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Greetings:

I'm looking for advice on my next piece of gear. My current setup contains an MC 303 a pc (pentium166)running Cubase VST, rebirth, Making waves, an AWE 64 Gold, Sound Forge, and every other piece of sound software I could find.

I've found that using Making waves has been the best utility so far, utilizing samples from my MC-303 and all the software we all know and love. I'm getting a little tired though of programming on a grid so lately I have been experimenting with using cubase and the awe 64 - triggering the samples with the mc 303.

Now I realize that I need a midi controller if I take this route- MC303 sucks for midi input with this method. As a next purchase I was considering a Yamaha cs1x because I've heard its good as a controller- even though controlling it seems like a nightmare. Additionaly I've heard that the knobs can be assigned via MIDI to software such as Cubase- and I'll also get the internal sounds to add to my sampling fodder.

So what do all of you think of my tentative next step in my setup? Is this solid or would any of you suggest a better MIDI controller for the money that is as versatile? Am I going about this all wrong?

Please post any helpful information here

Thanks,

-Chad-

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/11             02-Apr-98  @  08:38 PM   -   Gear suggestions and input

chad_mitchell

Greetings:

I'm looking for advice on my next piece of gear. My current setup contains an MC 303 a pc (pentium166)running Cubase VST, rebirth, Making waves, an AWE 64 Gold, Sound Forge, and every other piece of sound software I could find.

I've found that using Making waves has been the best utility so far, utilizing samples from my MC-303 and all the software we all know and love. I'm getting a little tired though of programming on a grid so lately I have been experimenting with using cubase and the awe 64 - triggering the samples with the mc 303.

Now I realize that I need a midi controller if I take this route- MC303 sucks for midi input with this method. As a next purchase I was considering a Yamaha cs1x because I've heard its good as a controller- even though controlling it seems like a nightmare. Additionaly I've heard that the knobs can be assigned via MIDI to software such as Cubase- and I'll also get the internal sounds to add to my sampling fodder.

So what do all of you think of my tentative next step in my setup? Is this solid or would any of you suggest a better MIDI controller for the money that is as versatile? Am I going about this all wrong?

Please post any helpful information here

Thanks,

-Chad-

Message 3/11             03-Apr-98  @  03:32 AM   -   RE: Gear suggestions and input

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

The cs1-x seems to do a lot good but nothing great, the same shortcoming of the mc-303 (that's not a jab, I love my mc-303), and it doesn't sound like you really need a helluva lot more sounds, polyphony, and all that anyway. Why not get a controller keyboard that's a pro like a Juno 106, the original BassStation, or a Prophecy?

You know that upgraded Making Waves receives midi input now, don't you?

Message 4/11             03-Apr-98  @  03:50 AM   -   RE: Gear suggestions and input

Houseman

Do not get the Juno-106 as a midi controller. The keyboard is not velocity sensitive. It transmits all note -on messages with a velocity of 64. You are better off with the BassStation or the Prophecy.

Message 5/11             03-Apr-98  @  05:04 AM   -   RE: Gear suggestions and input

self_osc

Yeah, donīt buy the 106, I have the Prophecy and itīs a
GREAT master keyboard if you donīt mind the size (3 octaves).
The Basstation keyboard is smaller than the Proph, and
you canīt assign the knobs to differents MIDI controllers
(as on the Prophecy), because they are factory fixed.
Also you got an exellent programable arpeggiator that
sends MIDI notes, a vel/press sensitive keyboard and,
2 assignable wheels (one spring loaded) and an assignable
log with a ribbon on the top.
And donīt forget you are getting a powerful synthesis
engine too, one of the most programmable, controllable
and terrific sounding synth!!!!!!

Dan

Message 6/11             03-Apr-98  @  02:25 PM   -   RE: Gear suggestions and input

kilo

hold up...... whay buy a fucking keyboard to do a half-baked job, with units like that excellent peavey controller unit..... it'll even work with pro-tools..... 16 faders and totally programmable.....and cheap !!.... and it'll also act as a fader unit for vst or whatever else........

Message 7/11             03-Apr-98  @  10:31 PM   -   RE: Gear suggestions and input

Blunted

Kilo...The guy is begging for a Prophecy...can't you tell?
I might be biased tho......I love mine......

Message 8/11             04-Apr-98  @  02:31 AM   -   RE: Gear suggestions and input

me:

I've had no luck in my search for a prophesy in the US. The only store that said they might be able to get one said it would be around $1,000 USD. The cs1x I found for $500 on sale. I greatly appreciate any further input.

Message 9/11             04-Apr-98  @  02:33 AM   -   RE: Gear suggestions and input

I forgot to add that I believe that the bassstation in not velocity sensitive, same as the Juno 106.

Message 10/11             04-Apr-98  @  06:17 AM   -   RE: Gear suggestions and input

RIJKAARD

if what you want is triggering and real-time control
you should consider E-MU's Launchpad, though i don't
know if its into your budget.
And... if can manage yourself with sliders instead of
knobs ( which i don't believe it's a serious drawback ).
Also you should look for some Roland Equipment, based
also on pads and sliders, like Studio M, and that sort
of gear, i think you'll find some really cheap and useful.
I agree with KILO: what you need is just a versatile
controller, so why pay for a whole synth engine???
Finally: as you're using a sequencer, you don't need to
have thousands of real time controls, all at once!!
( you should teach some part of your anatomy to push
some sliders )8 to 16 configurable knobs/sliders is all
you need!

Message 11/11             05-Apr-98  @  05:19 AM   -   RE: Gear suggestions and input

Peezahj

Link?:  Link

I know someone who'll give you a mint CS1-x for around $400.

Hilevelt

Viewing all 11 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)