aaa Are homecomputers dead?!? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Are homecomputers dead?!?

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             06-Apr-98  @  07:00 PM   -   Are homecomputers dead?!?

Unkn0wn

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'm searching for a machine that is stable enough to handle live performances but also has the benefit of much'o memory and a big harddrive so I don't have to change disks between songs =[ ... Also, I really want to know if there are actually gunna be new homecomputers that can handle midi or has their production really stopped?! The last Atari was the Atari Falcon right? How much RAM does that thingie have and does it have a Harddrive? And what about the latest Amigas; are Amigas still Midi-less? Anyone have any suggestions? And no, I don't wanna hear anything about Winblows machines and machines of the 'other' company (who actually benefit from Gates' monopoly by keeping their prices high)...

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             06-Apr-98  @  07:51 PM   -   RE: Are homecomputers dead?!?

KILO

GET AN OLD 1040........ add a small cheap s/h scsi drive...... and up it to 4mb ram....... STE is cheapest for the ram upgrade.....

Message 3/7             06-Apr-98  @  10:19 PM   -   RE: Are homecomputers dead?!?

ivan

The falcon has 4MB I think, but can be upgraded. It's not worth the money though, since you could use a 1040 like kilo says. Amigas don't have midi built in but can be bought fairly cheap.

What else? Acorn? There are at least two sequencers. I doubt their usefulness. Vince Clarke (I think) still uses his old BBC... but apart from that it's pretty thin on the ground. Ataris are the best choice for the reasons above, and it's stable...

Message 4/7             06-Apr-98  @  10:29 PM   -   RE: Are homecomputers dead?!?

daniel

what about a machine running BeOS? there are good sequencers?

Message 5/7             07-Apr-98  @  12:02 AM   -   RE: Are homecomputers dead?!?

Unkn0wn

Ok, thanks fer the info... But I still got some questions:

1. I guess the Atari ST doesn't have a different interface or something and I can just use a PC SCSI Harddrive? Or can I only use specific Atari ST Hardrives?

2. The same question actually, but for the RAM. What kind of RAM does actually fit in the Atari ST? I mean, for the PC there are loads of different RAM formats and sizes... (EDO, DIMM, X-Pins, Y-pins, Blah-Pins, SDRAM and what not)...

3. Well, IF the Atari ST uses different RAM, where the hell can I find it?

4. Is the Atari 512ST also RAM upgradable? I have a relative who has one but doesn't really use it (actually it used to be my fathers; I used to play games on it all day back then =] ...)

Message 6/7             07-Apr-98  @  06:55 PM   -   RE: Are homecomputers dead?!?

Unkn0wn

Kilo?... Anyone?...

Message 7/7             07-Apr-98  @  07:14 PM   -   RE: Are homecomputers dead?!?

kilo

try this:
http://www.ataricentral.com/dunno where you are tho.??...... but in the Uk try system-solutions in Dulwich

http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/town/avenue/abr73/
they also distribute Creamware in the Uk...... i must say tho... the site is kak... and they aint even registered.... anyway... contact details are there... and they are VERY knowledgable about Atari's

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)