aaa Anyone got some vintage Roland keys ?? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Anyone got some vintage Roland keys ??

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3             09-Apr-98  @  12:17 AM   -   Anyone got some vintage Roland keys ??

kilo

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I was bored today.... so i started to add lots of old synths....... I started with Roland..... didnt get time to add any spec's..... but i posted in the synth section the beginnings of an assortment of old analog stuff........ anyway... if any of you use the following:

juno-4 / juno-6 / jupiters / etc..... feel free to add some comments ..... better still.... i need some audio examples of these beasties doing a few sounds.... (preferably in isolation)...... ok....?

when the section is finished, it'll have folder for all the major manufacturers, from Arp to moog, oberheim and roland etc......... all i can do is add the specs...... and RA files if people send them..... (mind you... maybe a visit to the Synthesiser Museum with a dat is looming !!...... but anyway..... thought it might be useful to at least have the specs.... cos then you can check 'em out if you see one for sale.....

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/3             09-Apr-98  @  12:25 AM   -   RE: Anyone got some vintage Roland keys ??

KILO

WHOOPS..... IS THERE A JUNO-4 ??....... SORRY..... I FUCKED UP !!

Message 3/3             09-Apr-98  @  07:02 AM   -   RE: Anyone got some vintage Roland keys ??

self_osc

Well, I have a 106 but I suspect all us know it enought.
It's a very simple synth anyway:

1 DCO
-With saw and square waves, both can be generated simultaneously (the square wave have PWM from the unique LFO).
-3 octave range buttons.
-Pitch modulation from the LFO.

1 Sub Oscillator
-Square wave output.
-Fixed range at 1 octave below the main oscillator.
-Volume slider.

Noise generator
-White noise with volume slider.

You can switch off the DCO output by pressing the waveform select buttons until the activity led turn off, and then you can hear only the other sources at the each volume slider setting.
If the volumen slider of the sub and noise are setted to "0", then you can output a sine wave by setting the filter to self-oscillation.

HPF
-Non variant/non resonant hipass filter that can assume 4 differents values.
-In the lowest value the manual saids it boost the bass, so keep it in this position.

VCF
-The classic Roland resonant lowpass filter (24db/oct I think).
-It can self-oscillate at max resonance values.
-3 control sliders: EG control amount (with inverse EG switch)
LFO control ammount
Keyboard tracking

I found this last slider VERY important for the final sound, unlike the ones on my other analog synths (Polysix, CS20M, Teiscos). Until I was start to move it I think that the 106 has a very narrow sound palette, try change its values and hear what happens.

VCA
-With EG/GATE switch and amount slider.

EG
-the classic ADSR.

LFO
-Only sine (or triangle, I don't know) wave output.

Chorus
-Stereo (and noisy) BossPedal-type chorus with 2 modes ("chorus" and "more chorus")

All the parameters are programmables in a single patch.
There are 128 patch locations.
When you call a stored patch and make some slider movement, the parameter jump and match the slider actual position and a red led dot appears in the display
(a segment leds with 2 digits display).

All your slider movements and button pushings are sents out via MIDI as SysEx messages, so you can attach a MIDI sequencer thats record real-time SysEx and then playback they to the 106.
Also when you call a saved patch, the SysEx data of this patch is sent out, but not a program change message (altough the 106 can response to incomming program change messages)
This feature allows you to dump (1 per 1) your patches via MIDI to a external storage media (computer, etc.).

You have to poly modes but altought I can hear the difference I can't say exactly what each one do.
When you press both poly modes at the same time you stacks the whole 6 voices of the 106 in a monophonic voice. This sounds great in theory, but the extremely pressicion and stability of the DCOs make it useless for phattering the sound in the way a machine with fluctuants VCO will do (like the Polysix).

You can store the patch data to cassette, but its a very tedious task.

Left Hand Controls
-The classic Roland pitch/modulation lever thats can control both pitch and filter cutoff in left/right movements, and turns on the modulation when you move it forward.
-3 sliders thats controls the quantity of the lever effect over pitch, cutoff and LFO.
-A portamento ON/OFF switch and time knob.
-The general volume knob.

Because the synth sends the slider movements as SysEx messages, you got a hard time if you want to edit the data in your computer, but if you don't uses too much pitch bends (as me) you can turn the lever's pitch amount slider to "0", the cutoff slider to max and then use it to send pitch bend messages thats are more easy to edit grafically.
Also you can create pseudo-sample&hold modulations to the filter cutoff by drawing quantized steps (1/16, etc) in the pitch bend grid of your computer and then sends they to the 106 with the note data.
I use this technique programming an alleatory 1/16 pattern of pitch bends values and then cutting and pasting it as an audio loop along the track, so the azarous motif will repeat after a periodic lapse.
With the only exeption of the pitch bend/mod lever, the rest of the left hand controls don't output any kind of MIDI messages, but you can control the amount of the sequencer's piych bends routed to pitch and/or cutoff by alters the sliders in real time.

It is a very reliable synth and a great sounding one. Not the thing for create complex modulated patches but a lot of acid basses and warm pads.

Mine was one of my girlfriend's best gifts and I really love both (Daniela and the 106).

Dan Ieh
Montevideo - Uruguay

PS: as you can see my english is terrible, so excuse me and help me learn by tell me the errors.Thanks!

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)