aaa Roland S-550/330 - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Roland S-550/330

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             11-Apr-98  @  11:02 PM   -   Roland S-550/330

buggo

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

In the reviews of the S-550 and 330, it says something like they have a decent synthesis section. Does this mean they have filters? Or does it only mean they can just resample the note up and down the keyboard's range?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             12-Apr-98  @  07:07 AM   -   RE: Roland S-550/330

buggo

yep, it's me again. I also wanted to know: if I want to use this with a sequencer as my main drum machine, can it do stuff like assign one sample to cut off another (like a closed hihat cutting off an open one, etc.) And if I can do drums with it, could I also juse it as a synth simultaneously? (could I have it playing a drumbeat/bassline at the same time with individual sampled notes?) Or to do this would it need to receive multiple MIDI channels or what...umm...if I sound confused it's because I am...please help...

Message 3/8             13-Apr-98  @  11:49 PM   -   RE: Roland S-550/330

johnny

the 550 sucks if you don't have a mouse and a video monitor.

it's a bitch to work with. if it's free, get it.

cheers

Message 4/8             13-Apr-98  @  11:53 PM   -   RE: Roland S-550/330

johnny again

it does have filters and LFOs and a cool trigger setting (audio signal triggers the sample)

cheers

Message 5/8             14-Apr-98  @  06:32 AM   -   RE: Roland S-550/330

Hilevelt

Link?:  Link

Yeah, but if you've got the mouse and the monitor, it's probably the easiest-to-use sampler ever made. The sampler engine is the same as the W-30, and it really does have that "Prodigy" sound (no joke). I've got a -330 and like it, but I think the -550 has scsi, 4x as much ram, and 1/4" outputs (mine has RCA's).

Message 6/8             14-Apr-98  @  11:10 AM   -   RE: Roland S-550/330

kilo

it'll do all the stuff you asked........ as for the assign samples to cut another for hi-hat sounds... I dunno... probably, you could assign a velocity split for the closed and open hat maybe..... not sure if it allows grouping... i doubt it....

Message 7/8             15-Apr-98  @  11:00 AM   -   RE: Roland S-550/330

buggo

anyone know if these things would do well in a live set? i've only played live a few times and i've never used a sampler live...also anyone know how the Yammy QX5 compares to the Kawai Q80?

Message 8/8             15-Apr-98  @  07:52 PM   -   RE: Roland S-550/330

hilliard

I've used an S-50 and an S-550 live, and the only real problem is the small amount of memory for samples. You have to load alot, and when you do it takes 1 minute or more to do so......bummer. However, if you organize your setlist in a manner to avoid this, you can load-up while a "non-sampler used" song is being played.

The W-30 (as well as the S-550) could be better live if you have the SCSI option installed. At least you could then hit a CD-ROM drive or a Hard Drive for more samples.

BTW, they do sound REAL nice......eapecially for drum loops and for weird lo-fi vocal stuff......cool.

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)