aaa Vocal Distortion - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Vocal Distortion

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             25-Apr-98  @  02:46 PM   -   Vocal Distortion

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

What should I use to apply distortion to my vocals. Do I need a special FX box?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             25-Apr-98  @  03:33 PM   -   RE: Vocal Distortion

David

You can overdrive the input on your mixer and distort the whole signal, or a more musical way to do it would be to add a distortion box to a send and blend some distorted vocal with clean signal so you could control the overall sound much better.

Message 3/7             25-Apr-98  @  04:18 PM   -   Vocal Distortion

What should I use to apply distortion to my vocals. Do I need a special FX box?

Message 4/7             26-Apr-98  @  02:37 AM   -   RE: Vocal Distortion

Sedusa

Link?:  Link

Pull the classic Industrial move.... Throw those vocals thru everything!! Try everything out.... I've always been partial to the vocal sound in Ministry's "Burning Inside".... I guess that there's a flanger or a phaser going on in there, the voice is distorted but also sounds fluid and kinda underwater...... I like to run vocal samples thru a pitch shifter, you get some really scary fx with the chromatic way people talk and the conflicting harmonies.... Try everything!!! The classic Beastie Boys "So Whatcha Want" vocal distortion on Check Your Head (And Ill Communication.... ) was a cheap plastic mike they bought from the kid's toys section of K Mart and it was so fucked up, they didn't use anyy distortion.... It was just the breakup on the shitty mike.... And different distortions sound different... Some allow your notes to get thru and some givew you that overloaded clipping out (A great example, the drums at the beginning of one of the NIN "closer" remixes, "closer to god")

Message 5/7             26-Apr-98  @  03:04 AM   -   RE: Vocal Distortion

Houseman

Great tips.

If you have a compressor, this can add some distortion too. Great for drum loops.

Message 6/7             27-Apr-98  @  02:03 PM   -   or even...

MrSkul

what are you recording to? if it's a sampler or hard disk you could try reducing the number of bits - that would give it a grungier sound.

i edit samples in Sound Forge, and it's got this 'gapper/snipper' effect that does some crazy shit. it's also got amplitude modulation, which can give you some cool ring-mod type of effects.

if i knew a bit more about your existing kit i might be able to come up with a few more ideas.

Message 7/7             27-Apr-98  @  02:36 PM   -   RE: Vocal Distortion

JohnDo

Goldwave (www.goldwave.com) has a dynamics effect that basically lets you compress/clip/distort waves. You get some very polished or noisy mad results. You can edit the dynamic curve.

I like putting vocals through a guitar amp best tho. Very loud. Very good. Valve amps like fender twins are great.

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)