aaa Hardware compressors - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

15-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Hardware compressors

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Original Message                 Date: 02-Dec-02  @  01:41 PM   -   Hardware compressors

Def Z

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I'm looking to add a h/w compressor to my studio. I have some good s/w ones, but I miss the ability to compress things realtime while I'm composing and arranging. I have a nice unit (Focusrite Tonefactory) that has some simple adjustments for recording acoustic things (voice included), but I'd like to add something that has all the features. I'm looking for a unit that has the following features...

1. Full control of Attack, Release, Threshold, Ratio

2. LOW LOW LOW noise

3. Dual Mono (for compressing a bassline and a kick drum simultaneously

4. $500 or less (US)

The units that have been recommended to me are the Presonus ACP-22 (I had a bluemax that was quite good and I am leaning towards them for product loyalty), a dbx160, the HHB Fat Man, a Summit box and a Joe Meek. Because I have a good mic-pre in the Tonefactory, this unit will only be used for instruments, and again, a LOW noise floor is very important. Thanks.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 60/69             16-Dec-02  @  07:11 AM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

Mindspawn

Link?: Link

Well analogs ain't for the meek. A lot of 'em don't have any way of "saving" a patch. You dial it in, use it, turn it off, and lose it.... That said, they do things a digital synth can't/won't due to active electronics, changes in power supply/temperature, etc. Also, some of the analogs are more stable than others. The Junos are fairly straight forward, most can save patches, and in cases like the Juno 106, you get built in MIDI.

If you're a patient sort, dunna worry too much about not being able to "play" one to test. As long as the machine is in good working order methinks you'll dig it. Pretty much everyone I've ever seen turned onto analogs really prefer them over digital, present company included. Mind you, for any kind of live play, I still favor the digital side of things, solely cos you have a lot less headaches when dragging them to shows and so on...

I've got a couple analogs over here at the studio if you want to see what they're like to muck about with... Did I introduce you to the Chroma Polaris the last time you were here?

Message 61/69             16-Dec-02  @  12:28 PM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

Def Z

Influx - yeah, things happened, change of heart. I'm not really this unstable. Ask my shrink... ;-)

Mindspawn - I don't think I saw your Polaris the last time I was over. I was mucking about with your Indigo. I'm not too worried about the ability to save - I haven't saved a THING on my Darkstar, and I kind of like it that way. Just dial up what you need. Fun. :-) I figure I have lots of digital in my place, and an analog would be a really addition. Plus, depending on what I spend, I may have enough to get a compressor (to stay on topic here.)

Give me a buzz when you're back in town. My in-laws will be around for the weekend after Christmas, and I'll DYING to get out of the house for an evening. How's your trip going, btw? Visiting your fam?

Message 62/69             16-Dec-02  @  12:34 PM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

Def Z

Mindspawn - thought you might be interested in this...^^^^

Message 63/69             16-Dec-02  @  02:10 PM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

Dr Doctor

Why don't you just use a big poo?

Message 64/69             17-Dec-02  @  03:42 PM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

Pongoid

Evolver

Message 65/69             17-Dec-02  @  08:13 PM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

influx

thats the one. thanks

Message 66/69             17-Dec-02  @  08:20 PM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

psylichon

ok, y'all are in the wrong forum now ... heheheh

Message 67/69             17-Dec-02  @  11:08 PM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

influx

what...we're sposed to move it when it goes from talking about compressors to synths?

Message 68/69             18-Dec-02  @  01:00 AM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

Def Z

Well, I'm really leaning in the direction of the Microcon II. I'll check out the evolver as well.

Message 69/69             12-Jan-03  @  03:20 AM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

Def Z

Local shop had an RNC for sale. Picked it up. I'm playing with it. Transparent so far...

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

There are 69 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)