aaa MIDI Sequencer for Live PA - Live / PA / gigging forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

24-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Live / PA / gigging

Subject: MIDI Sequencer for Live PA

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message 1/38             12-Sep-02  @  07:08 PM   -   MIDI Sequencer for Live PA

Scott Digweed

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I want a hardware MIDI sequencer to perform my material live. My first question is: what is the most reliable choice among these options?

- Yamaha RS7000
- E-mu Proteus 2500
- Roland MC-80
- Akai MPC2000XL

I currently have Logic Audio (PC) running the Virus, Nord, uQ, Machinedrum, and EXS-24.

My live PA configuration would hopefully be a hardware MIDI sequencer driving the synths, and MIDI sync'd to the Machinedrum.

FYI - I've used the RM1x for a few years and while it was OK, I had a big issue with it... when switching patterns ("Styles"), it never switched to the next Style cleanly - there always seemed to be a bit of a delay.

Please comment on my evaluation of these units below.

I checked out the Proteus 2500 and RS7000 at Guitar Center yesterday. The P2500 seemed to switch patterns (i.e. when I initiated the "next pattern" manually) quite cleanly, however, none of the demo sequences were 4/4 and were of different tempos, so I couldn't tell for sure if it was a seamless transition. I believe the P2500 OS on their display model was 1.17.

On the other hand, the display XL-7 had a very noticeable delay/stutter when switching patterns, even when they were of the same tempo. I found this rather disturbing. The XL-7 OS was 1.00, which I have heard was bug-riddled.

Then I tested the RS7000. like the RM1x, it switches from Section to Section flawlessly. But when you switch from Style to Style, there was still a noticeable sonic gap between the two Styles, albeit shorter than the RM1x. Note - I had the quantize pattern setting in Global set to 1 measure.

Now the MC-80. I've never played with an MC-80 and have no clue if it switches from pattern to pattern seamlessly or if it even has the facilities to switch patterns manually. Anyone here have the MC-80? The MC-80 is quite expensive, so it better have some razzle dazzle or I'm going to pass right over it.

And the MPC-2000XL. It has the "Next Sequence" button and everything. It would seem the MPC-2000XL is ready to do switch patterns (and perhaps entire Songs?) live. But I've never been able to try it out... Anyone?

Thanks,

Scott

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/38             12-Sep-02  @  08:31 PM   -   RE: MIDI Sequencer for Live PA

formant

Link?:  Link

"FYI - I've used the RM1x for a few years and while it was OK, I had a big issue with it... when switching patterns ("Styles"), it never switched to the next Style cleanly - there always seemed to be a bit of a delay. "

between styles you will have a gap... but if your midi gear is external you won't have a gap because the sequencer is locked in perfect time regardless... its the internal synth and sampler patch changes that cause the hiccup

jamey

Message 3/38             12-Sep-02  @  09:16 PM   -   RE: MIDI Sequencer for Live PA

Scott Digweed

Thanks jamey. I never tried using the RM1x to trigger external MIDI gear. I used it as a standalone sound source at the time, and clearly experienced the Style-switching delay on the internal synth engine. If possible, a little clarification / confirmation on the the "rs7000 beauty or beast?" thread would be great...

'Mindspawn' described the Sytle-switching delay, but didn't say if he experienced the delay while using it standalone, or while sequencing external gear, too?

I see that 'Maarten' was going to check into the MPC "next sequence" function but never posted his findings. I'd be very curious to know...

Just letting you guys know that I *did* use the Search engine but couldn't find all the answers in previous posts and that's why I'm asking.

Also on the Machinedrum, it has the most kick-ass live sequencer you've never seen before. The only problem, is that its MIDI Machines are rather limiting, making it an extremely minimal solution if used as the 'hub' of a live-sequenced show. FYI, I've got a question into Elektron regarding if they will upgrade the MIDI machines... I'll let you guys konw if/when they get back to me.

Scott

Message 4/38             13-Sep-02  @  12:02 AM   -   RE: MIDI Sequencer for Live PA

Scott Digweed

Ouch with a capital "O".

Elektron said that the MIDI Machines will never be able to record an external MIDI keyboard due to the Machinedrum's internal hardware architecture. Doh!

That means a bonafide hardware MIDI sequencer is a must-have for me.

bump?

Message 5/38             13-Sep-02  @  01:12 AM   -   RE: MIDI Sequencer for Live PA

influx

Link?:  Link

how complicated a sequencer do you need?

Message 6/38             13-Sep-02  @  02:35 AM   -   RE: MIDI Sequencer for Live PA

Scott Digweed

Hi influx,

The hardware sequencer doesn't have to be a cadillac, because I've got Logic for creating the MIDI sequences.

- It has to be Stable. Crashes are not acceptable... that's why I've dropped the idea of using a laptop. :-)

- It has to import SMF's or record all 16 channels at once.

- 32 MIDI channels (i.e. 2 MIDI outs) would be nice, but not necessary.

- The flexibility to set it to master or slave status or just use MIDI clock for sync.

- Track mutes are a must.

- Seamless pattern switching is very high on my want list, but not necessary.

- Hands-on tempo controls.

Those are the basics, aye.

Scott

Message 7/38             13-Sep-02  @  08:36 AM   -   RE: MIDI Sequencer for Live PA

Maarten

Link?: Link

Scott, I will check out the next sequence thingy but not before next week... I'm in the middle of new home improvement / move, which means new sound-proofed studio / lots of work etc = (yay!) + new equipment to complete my setup (finally get good monitors + mixer = yay!  

Well, due to the above I just might forget so don't hesitate to drop me an e-mail end of next week to remind me : transistor303@hotmail.com

Message 8/38             13-Sep-02  @  08:38 AM   -   RE: MIDI Sequencer for Live PA

Maarten

Oh, imo your previous post describes the MPC just fine... but then again : I havn't used much else.

Message 9/38             13-Sep-02  @  12:45 PM   -   RE: MIDI Sequencer for Live PA

Pongoid

two mmt8's for a FRACTION of the cost of an MPC.

Ape

Message 10/38             13-Sep-02  @  02:48 PM   -   RE: MIDI Sequencer for Live PA

Scott Digweed

Thanks Maarten, i'll send you a reminder next week if i haven't already jumped for something.

It sounds like you're going to have a very nice studio to turn out tracks. My "studio" setup is currently part of my living room... it's often too tempting to watch TV, play video games, or chill on my couch - unfortunately I don't get alot of good work done on tracks in my current setup. Maybe I need to move too. :-)

Pongoid, do you have MMT-8's? I've never tried an MMT-8, so I'd be curious to know more about it. All I know is 8 MIDI channels.

Thanks,

Scott

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 38 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)