aaa Hardware compressors - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Hardware compressors

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7

Original Message 1/69             02-Dec-02  @  01:41 PM   -   Hardware compressors

Def Z

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'm looking to add a h/w compressor to my studio. I have some good s/w ones, but I miss the ability to compress things realtime while I'm composing and arranging. I have a nice unit (Focusrite Tonefactory) that has some simple adjustments for recording acoustic things (voice included), but I'd like to add something that has all the features. I'm looking for a unit that has the following features...

1. Full control of Attack, Release, Threshold, Ratio

2. LOW LOW LOW noise

3. Dual Mono (for compressing a bassline and a kick drum simultaneously

4. $500 or less (US)

The units that have been recommended to me are the Presonus ACP-22 (I had a bluemax that was quite good and I am leaning towards them for product loyalty), a dbx160, the HHB Fat Man, a Summit box and a Joe Meek. Because I have a good mic-pre in the Tonefactory, this unit will only be used for instruments, and again, a LOW noise floor is very important. Thanks.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/69             02-Dec-02  @  02:23 PM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

Steve Webster

How about a Focusrite Compounder? They have a HUGE function that is designed to be used on kicks and bass. It also sounds transparent and PHATT!

Message 3/69             02-Dec-02  @  03:10 PM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

milan

Link?: Link

thats what i was thinking. btw, dbx160 although a kick ass compressor is only mono.

huge, eh? man, why dont more companies dont do that. imagine having buttons labeled "lovely", "sweet", "brathtaking" etc and they all worked as intended...

Message 4/69             02-Dec-02  @  04:25 PM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

Def Z

The Compounder looks interesting, but appears to be mono. Is that not the case?

Message 5/69             02-Dec-02  @  05:38 PM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

milan

nooo. stereo or double mono.

Message 6/69             02-Dec-02  @  07:43 PM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

Def Z

Shit, that looks nice then. Looks exactly like my Tonefactory. Same company? ;-)

Any opinions on the others I mentioned? I believe that there is a version of the dbx160 that is dual mono...the 1066 is dual mono.

I've always been under the impression that the dbx stuff was...cheap. In price and quality. Is that not true?

Message 7/69             02-Dec-02  @  08:12 PM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

milan

noooo! they do make budget boxes, but some of their stuff is pure classic. like 160 for example (dunno if 1066 has got anything to do with it though). its really world class for smooth transparent compression, super nice sound (mebbe not what you are looking for?). dbx also makes units for broadcast application etc etc... also some nice vintage boxes which are now sought after by some...

hey! how about RNC? for 500$ you coul get two and use them as two mono or two stereo comps. think about it.

but still, compounder is supposed to be really good too, and from a name company, and also it matches your tonefactory (wish i had one) etc etc... ;)

Message 8/69             02-Dec-02  @  09:12 PM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

k

how much is this 160?... it could be a bargain!

Message 9/69             02-Dec-02  @  11:18 PM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

influx

Link?:  Link

is it the plain 160 that is so dope? thought it was the 160x?

anyway...$225 or so..

and the 1066 has absolutely NOTHING to do with the "good" DBX stuff except the name

Darin..they make one called the 166A..Ive used it and its cool

you mentioned the HHB fatman..>NOT dual mono. The radius 30 is tho..and those are ok.

another kinda cool one is the bellari RP582 (282?)...2u rack, dual mono tube compressor

definitely not high end..but for $500 not much is gonna be...

RNCs are damn solid too, and theres the JoeMeek SC2.2...

if you SCORED you could find a joe meek SC2..the original..but theyre stereo, too...

Message 10/69             03-Dec-02  @  12:08 AM   -   RE: Hardware compressors

Def Z

Those RNC's look pretty cool. 2 for $400 ain't so bad either. Order out of state and no sales tax. :-) Love it. Interesting, nothing in the New England area. That sucks. Anyhow - anyone using these things? How fast an attack is a good fast attack? (in relation to the ability of unit to detect an incoming signal and act on it) The documentation says .2 miliseconds. Is that fast in compression terms?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7

There are 69 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)