aaa seeking song critique - Music tracks & feedback forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music tracks & feedback

Subject: seeking song critique

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/17             01-Oct-04  @  11:45 PM     Edit: 01-Oct-04  |  11:47 PM   -   song critique exchange

e-effect

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

WILL BE HAPPY TO REVIEW YOUR TUNE AS WELL! Just email me or post it here

I could really use some constructive advice on my new song, Synthergy. I've put all of the production techniques I've learned thus far into this song, but am getting mixed reviews. Some really like it while others think it needs LOTS of work. I could use any advice you have including any advice on the following:

1. How is the production?

2. Do you like the way the track sounds overall? Do you like the sounds I've picked and/or do they work well together?

3. Compositionally, how does the song rate?

4. What genre do you think this fits with?

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR ADVICE. Let me know what song you would like me to review of yours!

e

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/17             02-Oct-04  @  12:32 AM     Edit: 02-Oct-04  |  12:33 AM   -   RE: seeking song critique

SignalRunners - BLU

Id agree it needs alot of work to be honest (not being a bastard but trying to help!)

Theres some cool elements, but its really lacking in alot of areas!

percussion work needs alot done to it, and id say change the bassline for starters

try gelling the sounds in together a litle bit more, just now theres some good ideas but they all stand out/fight against each other, careful use of reverb and delay can help, but you may want to go back again and go for different sounds mebbe? It sounds like its trying to be trance, but without the trancey type sounds

Id say currently, id class this in the cheesy eurodance genre

blu

Message 3/17             02-Oct-04  @  06:49 AM   -   RE: seeking song critique

urbicide

okay... its been a long week for me and I'm gonna critique...

It's a little cheesy 93.1 party dance music from '88. In my ears, I dont like the
sounds or chosen sounds. But I get what your trying to accomplish. Keep going
man! It'll work.

I got a tip: Try not to sound like everyone else. If ya do... pick a sound and go with
it... your all over the place with this one. Keep the vibe strong in only one area.
take care.

Message 4/17             02-Oct-04  @  07:09 AM   -   RE: seeking song critique

urbicide

oh, dont take my comments to personal... it's just an opinion. others have different
ears :-)

Message 5/17             02-Oct-04  @  04:25 PM     Edit: 02-Oct-04  |  04:44 PM   -   RE: seeking song critique

e-effect

Thank you guys for taking your time to review this track for me! This was exactly the help I was looking for. The comments you've left have been consistent with other comments I have received on my tunes. Looks like I still have a lot of work to do . I like a challenge though!

I'm going to repay the favor by listening to your tracks right now. If you have particular ones you'd like feedback on then let me know.

If anyone else has some comments to share, then I'll be happy to share mine on your trax.

e

Message 6/17             02-Oct-04  @  04:46 PM   -   RE: seeking song critique

e-effect

BLU

Thanx so much for taking your time out to review my track. I did more thanking on the forum post :-)

It was funny. I was reading your review and unknowingly downloading a track by SignalRunners - Andrew. I looked up at your info, and, of course, it said "SignalRunners"! Pretty funny, eh? I was downloading his track "Reform." It's a good track. Not quite as good as the recluse track I'm currently listening to, though! Holy crap you've got some great stuff here. I can see why you guys are signed trance artists.

After listening to recluse, I can see what you mean about making sounds fit. I have a love for synths sounds and variety. I love plugging as many different sounds into a track as possible. I guess this isn't always a good idea :-) In recluse, all of the sounds really fit together. They complimented each other so well. It was sweet.

I also noticed how consistent the melody was throughout the track. You had the same background rhythms and melodies playing almost the entire track and just kept adding synth anthems on top. The main synth lines, by the way, were fantastic.

Production quality was top notch. Kick was phat and thick. Synths were well eq'd. They sparkled real nice :-) I can see what you mean when you say my percussion needs some work. I will keep that in mind for my next track and when I redo Synthergy.

Overall, I really liked recluse. It showed me what you were talking about in your review. I'm going to take a listen to the rest of your tunes this week. See what I can learn ;-) Thanks again for your honest feedback!

e

Message 7/17             02-Oct-04  @  05:04 PM   -   RE: seeking song critique

SignalRunners - BLU

hey man, cool glad you liked some of the stuff u d'led ( the stuff on mine and andrews profiles here is either really old, or just rough sketeches of tracks, so i wouldnt take to much time downloading much of them   )

Glad you took the critism well, sometimes people get all defensive when someone tells them an opinion that doesnt match up to there thoughts- just keep trying diffrent things and youll get there in the end man

blu

Message 8/17             02-Oct-04  @  05:05 PM     Edit: 02-Oct-04  |  05:07 PM   -   RE: seeking song critique

e-effect

I'm gonna take all that advice, BLU. Hey, man, I wanna get better at this stuff. You can't have an ego when you're learning. I'm listening to your other tracks right now :-).

e

Message 9/17             02-Oct-04  @  05:08 PM   -   RE: seeking song critique

e-effect

URBICIDE

Really appreciate the honest feedback here, m8. I don't take this kind of stuff personally at all! If we cannot take criticism, then we'll never grow as artists.

Again, your review of my sonic selection was consistent with BLU and some others who reviewed this track. This was kind of an historical track for me. I actually wrote all the parts about...umm....I guess it's been about 5 or 6 years ago! I put this mix together actually trying to come across as more consistent because some of my other trax were reviewed as being too "all over the place." Looks like this one didn't quite do it either :-). That's okay, though, I'm gonna keep trying. I'll probably always write stuff that sounds a little all over the place, though. Like you said, we don't all want to sound like everyone else!

I thought, "Come On'," was a very powerful track. The guitar sounds, big bass climb, and the well-produced, jungle percussion contributed to this end. I liked the overall arrangement of the track as well. Like SignalRunners, "Recluse," this one had very consistent elements throughout the track. It really seemed what you guys do is make one main section and then put short breakdowns spaced throughout the track to keep it varied. My composing style is definitely different than this. I kind of look at the song as a progession through different motifs. I think I will try to write both ways from now on, though. Just so I can get some stuff out there that is more format-friendly :-)

Love how in the intro the squeelly sound is in the right can and the saw wave stabs are in the left. That was a really cool effect. I didn't like these two sounds the first time through, but they really grew on me the more I listened to it!

Thought the percussion production was top notch in this track. Went well with the funky bassline. Definitely had a hard house/breaks feel to me at times. Was this what you're going for?

Once again thanks for your comments, and thanks for the upload too. Let me know when you put new trax up! Both of ya!

e

Message 10/17             03-Oct-04  @  11:39 PM   -   RE: seeking song critique

horacio.larrechea

Link?:  No link

hola i have to tell you what i think i enjoyed your tracks a lot but i alwasy think trance music is something bizarre or chezzy but at the same time i love it. this year i started to think that trance will be the next big thing if someone make with trance what neptunes or timbaland did with R&b
cheers i'm not kiddin , maybe i'm crazy but it's just a feeling

Pages: 1 2

There are 17 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)