aaa Live Kit - Live / PA / gigging forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

25-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Live / PA / gigging

Subject: Live Kit

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 30-Mar-02  @  11:35 PM     Edit: 30-Mar-02  |  11:37 PM   -   Live Kit

Mindspawn

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

M'kay, thought it might be a good idea for folks to list their actual kit that they gig, or plan to gig, with, down to the nuts and bolts so other folk can get an idea of what folk are using.

I'm gonna list two as I have been using the "505" setup for a few years, but now I've started using the RS7000 as the brain for a few shows... It's also worth mentioning that I DO NOT try to recreate studio tracks for live play...

505 setup:
MC505 as brain/sequencer, using all six outputs (synth sounds and FX on stereo out mains, Bass Drum on one out, Hats on one out, Snares on one out, and Toms and other percussion on the last output), Dark Star or AN1x for basses, Virus for other synth sounds, SP505 for samples, all ran into a Mackie CFX12. There's a Lexicon MPX100 for delays strapped across the FX send/returns of the Mackie. I run a Presonus ACP88 as insert compression on the BD, SD, Toms, Bass, and as a limiter on the Virus and on the sampler. I also use a BBE462 across my main inserts. Power is conditioned with a Furnam RR-15 (the Rackrider version).

The RS7000 setup:
RS7K as brain/sequencer/sounds/sampler. Using all eight multi-outs (Mains stereo outs get synth sounds, maybe some of the samples, 1 Out for the BD, 1 for the SD, 1 for the bass, stereo outs 3&4 for hats and some percussion, 1 out for certain samples or xtra percussion). All ran through the CFX12, Lexicon MPX100 for delays on the FX send/returns of the Mackie, ACP88 strapped across the inserts of all eight multi-outs from the RS7K either for compression or limiting. BBE462 on the main inserts, and the same Furnam power conditioner.... Ocassionally, I add the Virus to this setup, or sometimes I'll run the Dark Star.

For both setups I always carry a toolbox with general bits like fuses, screwdrivers, adapters, a soldering iron, a direct box, a mic or two, spare power cords, cables, multimeter, set of headphones, and other odds and ends that might be needed.

For monitoring, it depends on the venue. Sometimes monitors are provided, sometimes I use my Mackie SRM450s plus a SRS1500 Sub, sometimes I use the "in the ear" monitors from Shure. A lot depends on the room I'm working and the size of the space I get to set up in... I have used my SRM monitors as "house sound" for a couple of small gigs and some of the private parties I've played, so they can work as a "main PA" in a pinch.

How bout the rest of you lot...?

Peace

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/29             02-Apr-02  @  03:23 AM   -   RE: Live Kit

Defector Z

Link?: Link

Ape - no offense meant, if I were standing in front of you I would have winked.

I've seen a couple of postings over the years, but unfortunately I've a day job that doens't afford me the luxury of being able to go very far. If you are in the Boston neighborhood, throw me a shout and I'll do my best to make it. Might even bring some folks.

Regarding Cubase - I see where you're coming from. Making sense... but doesn't seem to flexible, though. I can see how you'd start from scratch from there.

Mindspawn - I'd like to see some more shows, and get involved. Jamming would be great - I'd like to do something small first - you know, get my feet wet first. But I'm starting to get that itch. You know, put up or shut up, I guess.

Message 12/29             02-Apr-02  @  07:05 PM   -   RE: Live Kit

Roshi

My band partner and I did a gig this weekend. As you guys know, we gig with twin ES-1s which allows us quite a bit of experimentation...if you get bored in the middle, you can always substitute weird samples quite fast and tweak to your heart's content.

Usually one of us has the 'main beat' on a sampler with lots of variations and the other is free to drop in whatever pattern he feels like, as long as there isn't a crash collision on stage...

One of us plays a bass line and the rest of the song is somewhat improvised on whatever synths we happen to be playing...we sort of do a jazz like basis with somewhat structured builds and breaks, but we can change it when we want to...

We've had lots of 'accidents' (wrong patterns, synths, etc.) that turn out quite brilliantly live...in fact playing live is the basis of everything we do recorded...a lot of the pain for us is sculpting our live material into recorded work.

If anyone is interested, we have a live365 station where I've put our gig, it's alternating with a schematic set and a house set from WMC this year.

http://www.live365.com/stations/256683

Message 13/29             03-Apr-02  @  06:10 AM   -   RE: Live Kit

Mindspawn

DefZ - I imagine I can point you toward people to get you what ever size party you might want to start with, from 50 people or so up to 1000+, a lot would depend on what style of stuff you want to do.

As an aside, I'm looking into getting a place to do a regular after hours, a hundred or so people at most, a couple times a month... if I get my shit sorted, and you get your stuff sorted, I'd be happy to let you have a go. That'd go for any DT folk who happen to be in the area.

Roshi - that's a nice, straight-forward setup. Sounds like y'all have a lot of fun doing your thing, and that's definitely one of the more important aspects of this stuff.

Peace

Message 14/29             03-Apr-02  @  12:41 PM   -   RE: Live Kit

Pongoid

Spawn, we need to talk gigs in the New England area. Email me ASAP, please.

Ape

Message 15/29             03-Apr-02  @  12:43 PM   -   RE: Live Kit

Mindspawn

Pongoid - I dunna have yer email... think I used to... hmmm... Just shoot me a note to spawn@mindspawn.com and I'll hit ya back...

Peace

Message 16/29             03-Apr-02  @  02:10 PM   -   RE: Live Kit

sitar

Link?:  Link

"shoot me a note" Ha! Noobody's first email to me was a scanned picture of a .xx caliber bullet. I sent it back with the word "ricochet". The beginning of a great friendship.

I'm not there yet. I know I'd have my SN in tow and my controller keyboard. My computer running Sonar. I don't know how that all works out with the puter though in terms of playing live. The ER-1 for now anyway but the knobs are small and rather unprecise. Good sounds out of it though. You can't mute individual drums when they're being triggered by midi data out of Sonar except by muting them in Sonar itself as far as I can see. I'd probably have the XL-1 coming into the set at times. Having just gotten Reaktor, I'm wondering if anything I write with it is going to be useful in a live situation unless I record it all beforehand as audio tracks. And then except for muting/unmuting the live thing becomes less and less live.

Message 17/29             03-Apr-02  @  06:52 PM   -   RE: Live Kit

marianimal

Link?:  No link

Hey, that radio station looks cool. I'll be psyched to listen once I get this sound card problem sorted out.

Message 18/29             03-Apr-02  @  07:08 PM   -   RE: Live Kit

damballah

man, I just dunno 'bout that hauling a computer around to gigs shit. I bought the wet one's Q-80 off him about a year ago, been holed up with that for a while and getting real close to firing some shit offa that lil bitch. gotta rack some stuff up so I'm not dragging it around loose though.

Message 19/29             03-Apr-02  @  09:03 PM   -   RE: Live Kit

influx

Hey D...shoulda put this in your racks thread but Im here now so...

have you looked at PELICAN cases? they have that foam that you can form fit by removing small pieces?

not too pricy either. Honestly I would work on slimming your rig down even more (you had mentioned a rack of compressors, etc, then FX, then the soundsources?)

dunno...me? one keyboard, sequencer, a mixer and an FX box. one compressor on the main buss...

anything else is too much to carry 

Message 20/29             03-Apr-02  @  09:20 PM   -   RE: Live Kit

damballah

talking a total of 4 boxes plus a keyboard stand. too much? I've done sound system work for a couple of decades now and this is nothing compared with setting up an outdoor rig, miking a 9 piece main act, moving their shit outta the way, settin up an opening act, mixing the opener, changing over, mixing and striking the whole mess. this'll be a piece o' cake. well, except the music part.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 29 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)