aaa Live Kit - Live / PA / gigging forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

20-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Live / PA / gigging

Subject: Live Kit

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 30-Mar-02  @  11:35 PM     Edit: 30-Mar-02  |  11:37 PM   -   Live Kit

Mindspawn

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

M'kay, thought it might be a good idea for folks to list their actual kit that they gig, or plan to gig, with, down to the nuts and bolts so other folk can get an idea of what folk are using.

I'm gonna list two as I have been using the "505" setup for a few years, but now I've started using the RS7000 as the brain for a few shows... It's also worth mentioning that I DO NOT try to recreate studio tracks for live play...

505 setup:
MC505 as brain/sequencer, using all six outputs (synth sounds and FX on stereo out mains, Bass Drum on one out, Hats on one out, Snares on one out, and Toms and other percussion on the last output), Dark Star or AN1x for basses, Virus for other synth sounds, SP505 for samples, all ran into a Mackie CFX12. There's a Lexicon MPX100 for delays strapped across the FX send/returns of the Mackie. I run a Presonus ACP88 as insert compression on the BD, SD, Toms, Bass, and as a limiter on the Virus and on the sampler. I also use a BBE462 across my main inserts. Power is conditioned with a Furnam RR-15 (the Rackrider version).

The RS7000 setup:
RS7K as brain/sequencer/sounds/sampler. Using all eight multi-outs (Mains stereo outs get synth sounds, maybe some of the samples, 1 Out for the BD, 1 for the SD, 1 for the bass, stereo outs 3&4 for hats and some percussion, 1 out for certain samples or xtra percussion). All ran through the CFX12, Lexicon MPX100 for delays on the FX send/returns of the Mackie, ACP88 strapped across the inserts of all eight multi-outs from the RS7K either for compression or limiting. BBE462 on the main inserts, and the same Furnam power conditioner.... Ocassionally, I add the Virus to this setup, or sometimes I'll run the Dark Star.

For both setups I always carry a toolbox with general bits like fuses, screwdrivers, adapters, a soldering iron, a direct box, a mic or two, spare power cords, cables, multimeter, set of headphones, and other odds and ends that might be needed.

For monitoring, it depends on the venue. Sometimes monitors are provided, sometimes I use my Mackie SRM450s plus a SRS1500 Sub, sometimes I use the "in the ear" monitors from Shure. A lot depends on the room I'm working and the size of the space I get to set up in... I have used my SRM monitors as "house sound" for a couple of small gigs and some of the private parties I've played, so they can work as a "main PA" in a pinch.

How bout the rest of you lot...?

Peace

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/29             03-Apr-02  @  10:55 PM   -   RE: Live Kit

influx

Link?: Link

good point. Ive never really done setup/strike, so...

4 boxes and a stand aint so bad

Message 22/29             04-Apr-02  @  12:51 PM   -   RE: Live Kit

Pongoid

A buddy of mine uses a laptop with his Notron, and Reaktor live. It's hit or miss, but when it hits...look out!

Guys, we have it easy now. You don't even want to try to think about moving, setting up, and dialing in and mic'ing a bass rig, then loading out at the end of the night. Four boxes is really easy, especially stuff that stores it all for you. And what ever happened to playing in a group, like three four, five people at the same time, bustin it out? It's not hard, you just have to use your ears more, and ego less. it works. I've done it with fourteen at once before. It can be done. We have it easy. Enjoy the fact. Use this ease, and get out there. Stop worrying about the nitpicking stuff, and just make sure you have what you need, and the other little bits if something goes wrong.

Ape

Message 23/29             05-Apr-02  @  08:49 PM   -   RE: Live Kit

formant

influx, have you tried the multiband on the master outs of the RS? its quite punchy and should take the place of the RNC cuz the bass won't kill the rest of your volumes when it hits in like the RNC does...

sitar, you could do a whole live PA with the 6pack ensemble alone (reaktor)... sync sixpac to some external gear and you are set up nicely.

jamey

Message 24/29             05-Apr-02  @  10:36 PM   -   RE: Live Kit

99devils

Better late than never I guess...

I do things a little different because I am working with a full band, 1 guitar, 1 bass, 1 drummer, and a vocalist (although we just fired his ass). So here it is:

Yamaha RM1X for sequencing & the drummer's click.. Basically the brains of the operation, but I do a lot of actual playing these days. A Nord Lead I keyboard as master keys and about 1/2 of the synth sounds. Access Virus A for the rest of the synth sounds. Akai S6000 sampler for the rest. And a Sony FX processor.. I forget the model, but it's got 4 ins and outs and lets you configure them to run 1 stereo effect or 2 independent mono effects.

One pair of outs from the Virus and both of the Nord outs go to the Sony.. From there I can assign FX however I need them (a stereo effct for the virus and 2 indepentand effects for the Nord, usually). Another pair of outs from the Virus go straight to the mixer, as does the main stereo out of the S6000. The internal tone generator in the RM1X goes to a headphone amp which feeds a click to the drummer. The mixer is a 10-channel Behringer which is nice live because it's small and light, not too noisy. And cheap! And the rack kit was included too  

MIDI all gets routed through a MOTU Micro Express. This setup is nice because I can route signals at the channel level (nice for avoiding wierd notes coming from the wrong synth), and because I can take the whole rig home and simply plug it into the PC.

All this crap gets packed into 2 SKBs, plus a case for the Nord and the RM1X. Casparproject turned me on to these aluminum tool cases they sell at Home Depot for $20 to hold the RM. I cut a little foam to pack it in more solidly, but it fits nicely. One SKB is a 12-spacer, and it holds the Virus, mixer, MIDI interface, and the FX box. The other is a 6-space and it holds a power conditioner and the Akai.

I don't run the sequencer the entire time during a live set, just when I've got sequenced bits. About 2/3rds of the time I'm playing.

-Craig

Message 25/29             06-Apr-02  @  01:35 AM   -   RE: Live Kit

horizens

File?:  [image]

[image file]

where the hell is casparproject?

Message 26/29             06-Apr-02  @  05:10 AM   -   RE: Live Kit

sitar

Good question. He has an mp3 page with a zillion tracks on it. Plays live too. He checked in here about 3 or 4 months ago I think.

Message 27/29             06-Apr-02  @  10:34 AM   -   RE: Live Kit

Pongoid

He's probably wised up, and gotten on with the show rather than just talkin about it...dhoh!

Message 28/29             08-Apr-02  @  03:59 PM   -   RE: Live Kit

99devils

I figured I'd see him roll through Buffalo at some point but he has not..

He's also out of school and working now, maybe that explains it some.

-Craig

Message 29/29             08-Apr-02  @  08:19 PM   -   RE: Live Kit

influx

Formant..yeah..multiband, but..I kinda like the other master FX

plus..for a multiband compressor to work properly you would need to change the settings between (some) songs as they all dont really need the same effect

Im kindof a fan of the LoFi and distortion!
D

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 29 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)