aaa Getting A Dubby Sound - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Getting A Dubby Sound

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message                 Date: 13-Nov-02  @  03:13 PM   -   Getting A Dubby Sound

Steve Webster

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Any suggestions for getting a proper dubby sound. No, I haven't got a tape echo box.

Anyway, is spring reverb the way to go. Plus are offical dub delys really just 3/16th? (Is that triplets?).

Also, dubby baselines. Are they just simple sines with the 60-80hz whacked up on the desk?

And what exactly are triplets and how do they work? Everytime, I try and fit 3 notes, equally spaced, in between the kick and snare (ie 4 16ths, it sounds wrong). I thought triplets were fitting just 3 16ths into the spave of 4 16ths. Obviously not. Help much appreciated.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/60             14-Nov-02  @  04:18 AM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

psylichon

Link?: Link

ya know you can edit posts  

Lets not forget the importance of the infinite feedbacked, lowcut (hipassed) filtered rimshot. Or any noise for that matter. And yes, slightly behind the tempo is best for swaying.

psylichon

Message 12/60             14-Nov-02  @  07:01 AM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

JX3P0

Link?:  Link

only when you log on.And then for some
reason I have to post a file w/ every post.

H- the joy of a mac,oh boy!

Message 13/60             14-Nov-02  @  07:06 AM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

psylichon

yeah man, osx rocks

;)

psy

Message 14/60             14-Nov-02  @  10:00 AM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

Steve Webster

The tape delay in logic loses higher frequencies with each repeat, right?

Also, I am still confused about triplets. Fitting 3 16ths (equally spaced) in the space of 4 16th is right, yea?

Also, talking about triplets, if my drums and bass have a 16c (41 ticks) swing on them, do I do the same to the triplets? I know you guys talk alot about using your ears but I need to know the theory of triplets first. Thanks alot.

Message 15/60             14-Nov-02  @  12:05 PM     Edit: 14-Nov-02  |  12:05 PM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

bedwyr

File?:  [image]

[image file]

there's the logic delay initial preset but with the slider over to 75% and feedback at 54% for your classic dub delay

Message 16/60             14-Nov-02  @  12:12 PM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

Steve Webster

Cool. Thanks Bedwyr. Can you explain triplets as easy? :-)

Message 17/60             14-Nov-02  @  12:22 PM     Edit: 14-Nov-02  |  12:23 PM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

bedwyr

File?:  File

thriple.mp3

^ try counting 1 2 3 / 1 2 3 / 1 2 3 / 1 2 3 over the conga that comes in. that's 3 over 2. (that's the way i think of it) 3 hits over two beats (kick, clap) the shakers are three over 1 (123 123 123 123) and the delay on the last conga is the setting above which is something else, hard to count but you can feel it, it just stretches out over 3 bars (after which the pattern starts again, i think the first bar is 1001 / 0010 / 0100 / 1001 see?)

Message 18/60             14-Nov-02  @  12:40 PM     Edit: 14-Nov-02  |  12:41 PM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

bedwyr

File?:  [image]

[image file]

that's the shaker pattern with the grid set to 1/24 in logic, it's how you fit three hits in one beat.

and now i'm off to get a haircut! woohoo!

Message 19/60             14-Nov-02  @  12:49 PM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

milan

hehe. trippy listening, that last conga especially.

Message 20/60             14-Nov-02  @  01:18 PM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

Steve Webster

Thanks Bedwyr. I can't listen to files at the moment but your last post explains it to me in a simple but effective way. Are you a teacher by any chance?

So all I do is change the grid resolution to 1/24 and paint in a note in every other grid space. Than I will have triplets?

Now as foar as swing goes, which of the 3 notes would I move. Probably the 2nd note? And if I am using a swing of 16c on my standard 4x4 drums, should I apply the same swing to the triplet pattern?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 60 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)