aaa Best Producer Magazine - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

02-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Best Producer Magazine

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 04-Jul-07  @  08:54 PM   -   Best Producer Magazine

joegornall

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Hi,

Wasnt sure where to post this so I put it here.

Ive got a copy of Computer Music and FutureMusic with a view to subscription but I can't make up my mind which one to go for!

Anyone have any thoughts as to which is generally best for tips and tutorial type stuff?

If you regularly buy either, which do you think is most beneficial and why?

Thanks

Joe

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/30             17-Jul-07  @  04:35 AM   -   RE: Best Producer Magazine

casparproject

Link?: Link

Sound on Sound is by far the best IMHO, though I've been getting 'Electronic Musician' and 'Keyboard' lately, and have been pretty happy overall. SOS is just so damn pricey.

p

Message 12/30             17-Jul-07  @  06:52 PM   -   RE: Best Producer Magazine

joegornall

I've picked up a copy of each for June and July (FM, CM and SOS) just to check them out and I think they all seem to have their own advantages. For example this months DVD in FM featuring a couple of hrs of a studio session with D.Ramiriez was EXTREMELY beneficial to me, which you don't get in SOS however I didnt get too much from the magazine itself, as someone has mentioned its full of gear promo reviews etc. Mind you though so is SOS! I like SOS's articles and their online stuff is really good aswell. I think Im goin off CM a bit as the DVD's dont seem to be as good as FM's and inside they are very similar.

SOS is £48 for the year or £4.99 single. With the subscription you also get online SOS for a year or something.

CM and FM are both £5.99 each in the shops! Subs wise, their deal is £14.97 quarterly so £60 effectively for the year and you get 3 free issues. So you get 13 issues for the price of ten.

SOS seems the best value for money so Im probably gonna go with that, also given the numerous raving comments about it on this thread aswell, seems like its a winner.

Cheers,

Joe

Message 13/30             18-Jul-07  @  12:17 AM   -   RE: Best Producer Magazine

S1GNALRUNNERS - BLU

The D.Ramirez vids a winner. Its about 3 hours and full of good advice

Im not ashamed to admit buying FM, although id as happily just toss the mag in the bin , keeping the dvd and still feel like ive done well for a fiver.

Seeing other people working, even outside the field your involved/interested in is one of the most refreshing things you can do imo

Alan

Message 14/30             18-Jul-07  @  12:38 AM   -   RE: Best Producer Magazine

k

Link?:  Link

true

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 15/30             18-Jul-07  @  06:28 PM   -   RE: Best Producer Magazine

joegornall

Alan,

Perhaps you could help (or anyone else) with a novice question.

Do you know if all the things D.Ramirez was doing in logic are possible in Cubase 4 by any chance?

Im mainly talking about the ease of bouncing things to audio. He was using FXpansion GURU (which is ace I got the demo) and then he seemed to just effortlessly stick it on an audio track in logic. He just dragged it across I think, but aren't the loops midi controlled within GURU?

Also, when he was using his JP8080, he sidechained it. Again, this was midi controlled by logic and from what I understand you can only sidechain audio no? Im sure he didnt bounce his riff to audio 1st and then apply effects, otherwise he wouldnt have been able to record those little decay and cutoff movements, which again are all midi.

Anyway, I want to be able to use all those techniques that he was, but preferably in cubase as Im looking at a Carillon that comes with cubase 4. If you or anyone else can help, Id be very greatful.

Thanks very much,

Joe

Message 16/30             19-Jul-07  @  12:03 AM   -   RE: Best Producer Magazine

S1GNALRUNNERS - BLU

In Guru, in the options box, click Misc and then click the bottom box -

This lets you drag whats playing in the guru onto a midi track, which is what he was doing. You can then bounce it to audio if you like or keep it as midi. I cant remember if he kept it live or bounced it but he did the above  

You can sidechain/effect inputs and midi - it doesnt need to be audio, but as far as the video goes, I dont know logic, but in Cubase you can set up input offsets im sure to compensate. ive never fully looked into that so someone should be able to answer properly on logic vs cubase live fx whos done it in both!

Message 17/30             19-Jul-07  @  04:39 PM   -   RE: Best Producer Magazine

joegornall

I checked that in GURU nice one cheers, simple as then!

So when you put fx on a midi track is this called live fx processing? I didnt know this was possible. So you can record a midi track for example and then add whatever inserts eg compressor, reverb etc just like you would on an audio track? Fantastic!

Thanks for the info,

Joe

Message 18/30             19-Jul-07  @  05:24 PM   -   RE: Best Producer Magazine

k

Link?:  Link

yes, but bearing in mid you can add realtime midi fx too in s/w's like cubase

so in realtime you can add midi fx, which process either incoming midi data coming IN to a midi track

or you can process realtime midi data on the track already in a pattern/part

with audio you can add realtime processing fx either to incoming audio streams or to audio already on an audio track as recorded audio, or to audio outputting from a s/w instrument

you need a fast asio soundcard to add fx in realtime to audio because you want as little delay added as possible to incoming external audio streams.... with low enough latency setting you can even add thru type processing fx such as compression in realtime. ADDITIVE FX such as reverb and delay are even less fussy about low-latency times because by the nature of the effect there is a delay between the proginal signal and the delay or revern which follows it

anyways it's realtime use like that which allows you to use a realtime guitar fx s/w on a guitar you play IN to the sequencer for example

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 19/30             23-Jul-07  @  12:38 AM   -   RE: Best Producer Magazine

S1GNALRUNNERS - BLU

just to quickly update

I tried doing the add effects/sidechaining onto the input signal (I have a nordlead3 also) on the standard SX settings, and i couldn't get it without a tiny bit of latency.

Even tho small, this would be important enough to not be usable for me so i thought i should post and let you know encase your banking on working like this. I make the same sort of music as you are looking to make by the sounds of it, where timing has to be ultra tight , so Ill have a look into the delay offsetting in the next day or two.

I work by the same methods as video using direct monitoring of the external synths (same midi tweaking etc), but I then add sidechain / delay / comp etc etc once its recorded down as audio.

It may be worthwhile meanwhile to visit some Logic Audio / Motu (cuemix) and of course Cubase forums and users and ask some questions, or myspace one of the guys out the video....

Either way , let us know how you get on!

P.s - K, have i missed soemthing? Im 100% sure i used to use some form of midi or audio offsetting to match up live effects in days gone by.....

Message 20/30             23-Jul-07  @  06:02 PM   -   RE: Best Producer Magazine

joegornall

Thanks for the info, I'll let you know how I get on. I guess your asio soundcard is the bees knees aswell so no escaping the latency. Let me know if you manage anything with the delay offset. How do you like your Nord 3? I hear mixed views about it. Good for gritty sounds?

Joe

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 30 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)