aaa Best Producer Magazine - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

17-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Best Producer Magazine

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/30             04-Jul-07  @  08:54 PM   -   Best Producer Magazine

joegornall

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi,

Wasnt sure where to post this so I put it here.

Ive got a copy of Computer Music and FutureMusic with a view to subscription but I can't make up my mind which one to go for!

Anyone have any thoughts as to which is generally best for tips and tutorial type stuff?

If you regularly buy either, which do you think is most beneficial and why?

Thanks

Joe

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/30             06-Jul-07  @  01:57 PM   -   RE: Best Producer Magazine

k

Link?:  Link

well I suppose i'd choose FM of the two because it strays a bit from the soley PC music field. I think 'production' ideas and tips are more lilkely to be found on the www tho as mags have a remit to review and promote the sale of gear. FM does do 'How to do' type things tho I beleive for various s/w's

i dont buy any of 'em tho myself. You dont have an 'artist' account here for adding music I see... Do you want that switched?... then we could hear something you've done

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/30             06-Jul-07  @  03:26 PM   -   RE: Best Producer Magazine

joegornall

Cheers,

I guess my acocunt could be switched but not much point at the mo as I haven't even got my gear yet! Ive got some old stuff I did in my late teens on a laptop with a CS1X but nothing good production wise. I didnt even know what EQ was back then! Besides, my taste has changed a little, that was 5 or 6 years ago. Im still researching researching researching gear and trying to build up production knowledge then hopefully once I get my gear Ill be in a good position to have a good go.

It will be another few months at least before I might be able to put anything on.

Do I need to pay for an artist account? If so then I may aswell wait, if not then I may aswell switch now.

Thanks

Joe

Message 4/30             06-Jul-07  @  08:42 PM   -   RE: Best Producer Magazine

GrooveMonkey

Link?: Link

Don't buy either, they are both shite!

If you really do wanna get one, get Sound on Sound, much better vfm and it does do a faor few tips and technique type things.

G

Message 5/30             06-Jul-07  @  11:11 PM   -   RE: Best Producer Magazine

S1GNALRUNNERS - BLU

have to say i do like watching the dvd interviews etc from FM!

Message 6/30             07-Jul-07  @  07:36 AM   -   RE: Best Producer Magazine

rags .aka. welder

There are some quite good articles on this site too. What kind of gear you're looking into?

Message 7/30             07-Jul-07  @  12:55 PM   -   RE: Best Producer Magazine

joegornall

At the moment it looks like Im gonna go for a Carillon with 2 screens that comes with Cubase 4 and a load of other software including a soft sampler and battery 3, the Access Virus Ti keyboard to begin with, 1 or 2 BCF2000's and some monitors. Haven't got a clue about monitors yet, there's so many! Think Im just gonna have to see what a few sound like in the shop. Budget around 500 so looking at maybe KRK (V8's?), Yamaha HS80's or something similar, but to be honest I don't really know what to look for in them. Some boast about having a flat response but I don't really understand what that means?

Soundcard wise not sure, because I don't know how many ins and outs various ones have. I need one capable of taking the keyboard and routing back to the keyboard (so I can process audio with the ti's filters etc), a mic, and a record player with a bit of room for expansion. Do you think Id be better with a mixer? Or just route everything directly to the soundcard? The Carillon package comes standard with the EMU 0404 but I don't think think that would be enough. Maybe an EMU (0808?)

Message 8/30             08-Jul-07  @  04:59 PM   -   RE: Best Producer Magazine

rags .aka. welder

That Carillon setup sounds great (especially if you don't want to hassle with building one for yourself... ).

Don't know much about EMU soundcards, 1212M and 1616M are hyped a lot, but I have also heard some people had trouble with the drivers... there are some video tutorials about some EMU cards on this site, also about the ESI Juli@... might worth watching those.

Message 9/30             10-Jul-07  @  03:44 PM   -   RE: Best Producer Magazine

monkeybasket2001

if you have to get a tabloid get Music Tech

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/WHS/Go.asp?isbn=mag289&DB=622&Menu=Magazines

but SOS is the best- they are all generally big multpage ads but SOS has useful and interesting artciles and oens you can trust too

avoid CM or FM- really for Gear whores more than musos

Message 10/30             12-Jul-07  @  03:29 AM   -   RE: Best Producer Magazine

damballah

had an 1812m where the pci card went tits up and emu wasn't all that helpful

OK, bye now

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 30 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)