aaa breakbeat techniques - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: breakbeat techniques

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 22-Nov-97  @  11:37 PM   -   breakbeat techniques

pmeehan

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Could anybody suggest a simple first time approach to creating and experimenting with breakbeats like that of the Prodigy and Crystal Method? What are the common techniques and effects used?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/40             01-Dec-97  @  10:39 AM   -   RE: breakbeat techniques

freestyle

fuck yeah...something seems to be wrong with mr subvert's pages. i got stuff there a while back, without problems. mail yer man who maintains the site and see what he says.

anyway, there's fuck loads of amen breaks at 113. see sergeXP50's post for the url. I'm too lazy to encode it into this message. didn't come across any apache breaks, but then I haven't downloaded that many breaks from the site...I do have to work sometimes...search the page (CTRL+F) for amen and you'll find loads of them. have fun.

later...

Message 12/40             01-Dec-97  @  11:22 AM   -   RE: breakbeat techniques

Sedusa66

You know, this doesn't have much to do with where to find these breaks that everyone knows, but does anyone know of a good place to find samples of "real" drums? ie acoustic and actually hit with a stick.. I've been looking for some good acoustic kicks, and I can't seem to rip any decent ones off my records.. Single hits..
It's easy to find premanufactured breaks, or drum machine samples, but I'm hungry for the sound of someone really stepping on a pedal to drive some organic sounding drum lines..

Message 13/40             01-Dec-97  @  01:21 PM   -   RE: breakbeat techniques

kilo

You probably can't get thru cos it's on Demon's server, and they are crap !!!!.....

Message 14/40             01-Dec-97  @  09:28 PM   -   RE: breakbeat techniques

DJ Phallus

Just downloaded some Amen beats - only to find out I've
been using it for years... It's great, but it's been used
too much... I want to try the Apache, anyone got it?

Message 15/40             02-Dec-97  @  08:50 AM   -   RE: breakbeat techniques

ahadjak

Try Jungle Warfare vol 1 from Zero G.
Cool sample cd.It has both Amen and Apache.
bye...
Amiga Rules!

Message 16/40             02-Dec-97  @  12:38 PM   -   RE: breakbeat techniques

Avene

Link?:  Link

I got all those beats on albums called "Ultimate Breaks and Beats" and "Super Disco Breaks".. These are beats B Boys used to Breakdance to back in the 70's...There's another popular one by James Brown called "Give it up or turn it loose"...well, I think that's the name of it...

But, as far as I'm concerned, it's not about what breaks you use, it's what you can do with the breaks you use that makes the difference...You can do Drum n Bass with any drum sounds...Try and track down some old Prog Rock stuff from the 70's..stuff like the Gong, some of those records had a great drum sound.

Message 17/40             02-Dec-97  @  01:15 PM   -   RE: breakbeat techniques

freestyle

yeah, the amen & apache breaks are (well) overused, but the original poster was looking for a starting point...and the amen + apache breaks are an easy, familiar way to get into using breakbeats. The sample CDs mentioned probably are cool, but they're also £60 each, which kinda lessens their value. If you're making money from your music they're well worth the investment, but otherwise I don't think so. But then that's just my opinion...

later...

Message 18/40             12-Dec-97  @  06:31 PM   -   RE: breakbeat techniques

neil.crane

sorry to plug... but WaveSurgeon at http://freespace.virgin.net/neil.crane is always useful for slicing breaks...

Message 19/40             08-Jan-98  @  01:36 AM   -   RE: breakbeat techniques

JJ

Does anyone actually bother to program their own breaks in cubase ? If you do I would love to exchange quantising tips with any like minded individual.

To those of you contemplating hacking up the amen beat please don't bother... it was great back in 89 / 90 but I really do think it has had its day, at whatever bmp. It's a bit like "Funky drummer".

Avene.. super disco breaks vols 1 & 2 are great for the tracks alone, even if the recording quality of these bootlegs is shite. Bob James' "Take me to the mardi gras" is a quality track. This is one break worth using time and time again, as long as its tastefully done! Run DMC's "Peter Piper" really was the bollocks as was Marathon's "movin" and The Sound Vandals "Extasy (what is it?)". Does anyone remember tracks like these?

OK well that about concludes my contribution to the debate. I hope it's of some interest to you all!

J.J.

Message 20/40             08-Jan-98  @  01:12 PM   -   RE: breakbeat techniques

Avene

Link?:  Link

Janet Jackson ???? Gotta agree with ya about the tracks on those LPs being worth listening to. When you go to a jam these days the djs usually just play the original of Apache, and everyone loves it.

Has anyone seen that documentary from about 13 years called the History of Hip Hop? There's this interview with Malcolm McClaren, and mid way through they cut to a breaking scene where there's a DJ alternating 2 copies of Amen Brother on really old turntables. Excellent stuff. The funky breakdown is the best bit, but none of those Jungle Jim dickheads have ever used that bit to my knowledge.

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 40 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)