aaa Roland - emulate or innovate? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Roland - emulate or innovate?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Original Message                 Date: 03-May-02  @  11:49 PM   -   Roland - emulate or innovate?

panama

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

ever since the Super Saw was created with the JP-800 - dance music has changed... Ever since the Grooveboxes were created... It's now a household name.

is Roland still the innovater?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/73             13-May-02  @  07:24 PM   -   RE: Roland - emulate or innovate?

Maarten

Link?: Link

Some people here seem to jump at the opportunity (spelling?) to accuse someone of being rascist, sick.
BTW, 'bout the filters... please stress 'MC' when saying 303.

Thank you.

Message 22/73             13-May-02  @  09:29 PM   -   RE: Roland - emulate or innovate?

knowa

Link?:  Link

oh jeez...we have to be able to make generalizations about groups of people without worrying that we're gonna sound "racist". throwing that word around just makes people scared to say what's on their mind. that's no good.

I have close friends who ARE japanese and have actually told me the same thing that brett wrote. now, whether or not he is correct is another story (what's the TB 303 and copy of?), but his statement was hardly hateful or anything.

my wife's Korean friends named their dog "roland" in honor of the legendary beatboxes...my wife usually calls him "loland". big trouble with l's and r's. and that's funny, dammit. no harm done.

lighten up. there are plenty of other ways to gang up on brett ;)

Message 23/73             14-May-02  @  08:49 AM   -   RE: Roland - emulate or innovate?

influx

hey brett hows that protools rig?

I guess as D said it Roland sorta stopped being innovative back in the juno/jupiter/TR days?

was there some hypercreative design group behind that stuff?

Damn..time for a history lesson. Wheres the old men? Damballah? Pongoid (wait..hes younger than me) MINDSPAWN?!?!?! 

xoxos?

Message 24/73             14-May-02  @  03:02 PM   -   RE: Roland - emulate or innovate?

Def Z

The Japanese auto manufacturors benefitted from HUGE subsities in order to flood the American market with cars. While not worrying about remaining solvent, the Japanese auto manufacturors were able to focus on building a production line that was easier to retool in order to make quality changes while in the middle of a production. The American auto industry suffers because of it's desire to remain solvent, and because of a very strong labor union that is resistant to change of any kind.

Hey RT. Shut the up. It really pisses me off when people do what you do. If you feel you have differing information - present it without the insults. Why is it so difficult for people to have a discussion and share information without getting their panties in a knot?

Message 25/73             14-May-02  @  03:06 PM   -   RE: Roland - emulate or innovate?

Def Z

And no, I am NO fan of the American auto industry.

But bear in mind that the Pacific Rim countries that are exploding into the American auto and consumer electronis market are heavily supported by their governments. To my knowledge, the Japanese government doesn't do it as much as they used to, but the Koreans are building products with little regard for profitability. Whether that is right or wrong is a different discussion.

I think Roland has done a little bit of both. And I think the groove-machines are TOTALLY innovative. Developing a user friendly front-end has created a musical revolution, no doubt about it. And even if they weren't the first ones to do it - they brought it to the mass-market. That is certainly something.

Message 26/73             14-May-02  @  09:07 PM   -   RE: Roland - emulate or innovate?

swanofnever

oh, typical -- it's fine if your low-business-taxes (aka 3rd world living standards) allow YOUR corporations to be more profitable and thus flourish/invade the rest of the world, but the second some other country follows suit (in their own way) you get all defensive and stuff.

what's wrong with government subsities? not "fair"? i don't really see the difference between the two approaches; it's just a question of how the businesses receive the money. DIRECTLY from the gov (given to the business via subsity) or INDIRECTLY from the gov (not taken from the gov via low taxes).

Message 27/73             14-May-02  @  09:11 PM   -   RE: Roland - emulate or innovate?

swanofnever

"the Koreans are building products with little regard for profitability. Whether that is right or wrong is a different discussion. "

i just don't see where right and wrong enter into it... so now it's wrong to NOT be motivated be profits? why? cause it doesn't fit into YOUR (country's) "philosophy"? why not just ban all trade with other countries?

Message 28/73             14-May-02  @  09:15 PM   -   RE: Roland - emulate or innovate?

influx

ok. sounds like a good idea to me 

Message 29/73             14-May-02  @  09:19 PM   -   RE: Roland - emulate or innovate?

swanofnever

well, you know my motto... "if it worked for the USSR..."

Message 30/73             14-May-02  @  11:17 PM   -   RE: Roland - emulate or innovate?

damballah

well if you believe that, I know where you can get some russian analog synths...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

There are 73 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)