aaa Help! My bass sounds crap! - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Help! My bass sounds crap!

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 29-Oct-02  @  03:44 PM     Edit: 29-Oct-02  |  03:45 PM   -   Help! My bass sounds crap!

Steve Roughley

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Until recently, I have mainly created my bass with my EM1 electribe, but now that I am trying to synthesise it, I am having a whole lot of trouble. Whenever I try to get a tight, smooth and punchy bass out of my Virus, it ends up sounding hollow, dirty and generally sloppy. I am alright with leads and pads etc., but bass is truly eluding me.

Does anyone have any tips for getting my bass to sound tight and growly? Pongoid?

Thanks in advance.

Steve.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/32             02-Nov-02  @  01:15 AM   -   RE: Help! My bass sounds crap!

psylichon

Link?: Link

someone needs to upload a bassline. Or pick a track to emulate. not emulate the sound, but the actual line, so we're all at least working in the same genre. 8 or 16 bars of solo bass flavor with modulations to taste. What do you think?

psylichon

Message 22/32             02-Nov-02  @  01:19 AM   -   RE: Help! My bass sounds crap!

milan

well i just emulated a bassline from a cheezy mid-nineties dance track for a friend so why not.

Message 23/32             02-Nov-02  @  04:18 AM   -   RE: Help! My bass sounds crap!

psylichon

alright, i may have the line then. It's a squarepusher track... dnb, but it could be taken any number of ways. It's a good line, and it's just a sine sub, so the sound won't influence your programming much. Shall I upload it?

psylichon

Message 24/32             02-Nov-02  @  04:24 AM   -   RE: Help! My bass sounds crap!

psylichon

File?:  File

lis.mp3

Fuck it, there it is. Let me know if it works for you guys.

psylichon

Message 25/32             02-Nov-02  @  02:27 PM   -   RE: Help! My bass sounds crap!

j-type

Link?:  Link

works for me. what are the rules, then? one box only, no outboard, or what?

Message 26/32             02-Nov-02  @  02:36 PM   -   RE: Help! My bass sounds crap!

psylichon

oh those are fun, but I say full-on production, like it was for a final mix. But just the bassline. Compression/EQ/whatever is fair game. That way it's not the capabilites of one box versus another. And at least a couple days to do it, with a given starting point. We'll put it to a forum vote, meanest wins.

And HIFI MP3'S. Quit whinging you pussy-ass modem users, it's only a couple bars.

psylichon

Message 27/32             02-Nov-02  @  02:53 PM   -   RE: Help! My bass sounds crap!

milan

eh psy, shouldnt we be using the same midi file in order to have the same line playing? i´m bound to go off on a tangent somewhere in order to make it fit my taste.

otherwise, count me in.

Message 28/32             02-Nov-02  @  03:04 PM     Edit: 02-Nov-02  |  03:05 PM   -   RE: Help! My bass sounds crap!

psylichon

dude, it's a pretty simple line. Try to restrain yourself and I'm sure you'll be aight. Do you want sheet music?

psylichon

ps - you're supposed to go off on a tangent, just not with the notes and rhythm of the line itself, gotit?

Message 29/32             02-Nov-02  @  03:08 PM   -   RE: Help! My bass sounds crap!

j-t

Link?:  No link

"And HIFI MP3'S"

Is 192kbps, 16bit OK?

Message 30/32             02-Nov-02  @  06:28 PM   -   RE: Help! My bass sounds crap!

psylichon

I was thinking DSD in the 10Ghz range. :I

Just not 24k, that's all

psylichon

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 32 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)