aaa Best Producer Magazine - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Best Producer Magazine

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 04-Jul-07  @  08:54 PM   -   Best Producer Magazine

joegornall

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Hi,

Wasnt sure where to post this so I put it here.

Ive got a copy of Computer Music and FutureMusic with a view to subscription but I can't make up my mind which one to go for!

Anyone have any thoughts as to which is generally best for tips and tutorial type stuff?

If you regularly buy either, which do you think is most beneficial and why?

Thanks

Joe

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/30             24-Jul-07  @  10:41 AM   -   RE: Best Producer Magazine

k

Link?:  Link

K, have i missed soemthing? Im 100% sure i used to use some form of midi or audio offsetting to match up live effects in days gone by.....

well adding insert effects to incoming audio, the latency of the audio device surely applies here... previously recorded audio can be offset by the host inside the programme, but for incoming audio you cant get around the latency of the card

perhaps it's worse cos you are using a bus for the sidechaining? (are you using the cubase BUS technique to acheive a sidechain?)

btw doesnt cubase 4 include a proper sidechaining ability comps? i'm sure logic for mac does

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 22/30             24-Jul-07  @  01:16 PM   -   RE: Best Producer Magazine

joegornall

(If Ive understood what you said?)Thats something Ive been trying to look into regarding Cubase 4. Apparantly C4 doesn't have anything built in for easy sidechaining, I believe you have to use plugins like Sidekick or similiar, or do it the long laborious way.

Message 23/30             25-Jul-07  @  11:38 AM   -   RE: Best Producer Magazine

k

seems bizare in this day and age they dont all have this implemented so it's possible with any comp with a sidechain input easily

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 24/30             25-Jul-07  @  12:10 PM   -   RE: Best Producer Magazine

rags .aka. welder

Link?: Link

AFAIK this is still solved by having plugins with two INs (one for the signal to be compressed, one for the sidechain). Of course you need a host that can route any channel to the second input of a plugin...

Cubase 3 already has some kind of routing support as far as VST-s are concerned but I am not sure how it is done in practice. I use sidechaining in Ableton live (its routing oprions are flexible enough) but while it works with Voxengo's Crunchessor, it doesn't with the Sonalksis comps...

Message 25/30             25-Jul-07  @  12:58 PM   -   RE: Best Producer Magazine

k

that guy who came around a week ago and left a notice about his video tutorials had a video about sidechaining using the stereo bus technique and a waves c1 as an example

Message 26/30             25-Jul-07  @  02:17 PM   -   RE: Best Producer Magazine

joegornall

Don't know if it was that one I saw, but I saw one of those SX3 tutorial vids on sidechaining. Its possible but its not as straight forward as you'd like (well as it is in a lot of other hosts). Apparantly Steinberg are on the case and are going to have something in their new update for Cubase 4 as they seem to be getting hounded by customers on this point.

Message 27/30             25-Jul-07  @  05:56 PM   -   RE: Best Producer Magazine

k

lol, yeah cos 'sidechaining' is flava of the month.. you'd think from some forums you cant make hiphop or trance without using the technique

anyways it is surprising that apps like ORION's had it in for years and cubase still hasnt.. if anyone can rewire why not this

Message 28/30             25-Jul-07  @  08:16 PM   -   RE: Best Producer Magazine

joegornall

To be honest, for a newb such as myself having just discovered it, the effects are so powerful and are potentially a huge personal step forward into achieving "that sound". As it's so simple and effective, its kind of become a necessity to be able to do this easily, especially for someone like me who has little experience or knowledge. I guess this could be why its flavour of the month among new peeps.

Message 29/30             25-Jul-07  @  08:45 PM   -   RE: Best Producer Magazine

rags .aka. welder

Link?: Link

Not to mention that with pattern based stuff it is not so hard to edit the bass/kick volume envelope to get the desired effect.

Message 30/30             26-Jul-07  @  09:19 AM   -   RE: Best Producer Magazine

k

true, but it's not the same sounding effect really depending on the comp' settings

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 30 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)