aaa Playback sucks - Live / PA / gigging forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Live / PA / gigging

Subject: Playback sucks

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Original Message                 Date: 05-May-02  @  08:10 PM   -   Playback sucks

proximus

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

I'm NEVER doing playback anymore..

no the cd didn't skip but I was quite drunk and everybody could see I wasn't playing live.

And drinking and playing live.. well, that's another story

I did a gig this weekend with playback and it did not go very well to put it mildly. I think there are two main reasons why it fucked up. First one first which was my own fault. I've never done a gig before and the promoter said they wanted bands with little need of gear so I thought:easy! I'll do playback (another thing.. YOU know what YOU need, get what you need if you get it don't play. You get fucked, not the promoter.). As I mentioned before, everybody could see I wasn't really playing live. That's not a good thing

The other thing which I believe fucked things up for me was that the introducer said I was a young talented artist from Bergen who produces trance and have a JUST faboulous voice. "Today he is going to sing and perform his song."

I DON't SING!! I HAVE NEVER SUNG IN MY LIFE!! WHY! HOW!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to put the blame on other. I was responsible but the last one, fuck, who could I avoid it?

I don't know what I would have done with out my supporting friends backing me up and cheering like mad in the front. Cos, to be honest there wasn't a lot of cheering except from them. I managed to get some ok cheering at some points with some heavily clapping in the air (Yeah I know it's cheesy but what was I to do?) but then I forgot to play the keyboard, hehe.

There was a pretty big audience too, maybe 300 and I was unvoluntary picked out to *kick* off the show.

Anyway, this experience didn't turn my wish for playing live, but I'm NEVER EVER using playback again. By the way, this was my first gig ever.

Give me your flames and comfort. Especially comfort because I need it

I kinda look a bit humorous on it but it still sucks  

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 31/81             17-May-02  @  04:00 PM   -   RE: Playback sucks

proximus

Link?: Link

Sampler is good if you have one..  

Well, they probably use Laptops and Fat boys for live tweaking.

Message 32/81             17-May-02  @  09:43 PM   -   RE: Playback sucks

influx

not many samplers have good sequencers really.

The RS7000 is pretty solid, but..a grand..so...

Message 33/81             18-May-02  @  04:02 AM   -   RE: Playback sucks

errata

I use RM1X's... never a PC in my life on stage... I see a lot of guys bringin' em out lately. I also see a lot of PC users with BIG PHAT HEADACHES before, during and after their sets!

A little compression is nice live, but not really that important. On a live system it'll sound damn good without it! I use an aural exciter with big bottom instead when I'm out, just on the back-end of the mix! Makes the set stand out from the DJ's...

errata

Message 34/81             18-May-02  @  08:43 PM   -   RE: Playback sucks

proximus

Ok, erreta I get your point. But I think mastering is more important in some genres than in others.. i.e. on my ambient tracks I only apply a little touch or compression while on my more dancey stuff I'll add a whole bunch.. maybe too much  

You got me thinking... I'm posting more about this soon .. as soon as I've made up some decent thoughts about it.

Message 35/81             18-May-02  @  09:11 PM   -   RE: Playback sucks

errata

All I've played out in 3 years now is Hard and Psychedlic Trance. If the mix is right at home it'll sound fine on a phumpin' system...

Compression is good, even live. Just not something IMO that is needed on stage.

errata

Message 36/81             18-May-02  @  09:15 PM   -   RE: Playback sucks

proximus

ok.. my mixes usually sounds terrible before mastering, I guess that's why I'm worried.

Message 37/81             19-May-02  @  11:57 PM   -   RE: Playback sucks

influx

sounds like you need to do some work BEFORE considering going out live.

if your mixes truly do sound terrible, then youre simply not there yet.

Message 38/81             20-May-02  @  12:00 AM   -   RE: Playback sucks

damballah

yep, mixes should already sound damn good. mastering should be the icing on the proverbial cake.

Message 39/81             20-May-02  @  12:04 AM   -   RE: Playback sucks

enLounge

Link?:  Link

Ok.. they don't sound terrible but they sound a hell lot better after mastering. It's especially my trance tunes.. the other ones are ok unmastered

Message 40/81             20-May-02  @  01:27 AM   -   RE: Playback sucks

xoxos

the stuff you've posted sounds good, stop fishing for praise. it's high school, right?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

There are 81 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot