aaa Getting A Dubby Sound - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Getting A Dubby Sound

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message                 Date: 13-Nov-02  @  03:13 PM   -   Getting A Dubby Sound

Steve Webster

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Any suggestions for getting a proper dubby sound. No, I haven't got a tape echo box.

Anyway, is spring reverb the way to go. Plus are offical dub delys really just 3/16th? (Is that triplets?).

Also, dubby baselines. Are they just simple sines with the 60-80hz whacked up on the desk?

And what exactly are triplets and how do they work? Everytime, I try and fit 3 notes, equally spaced, in between the kick and snare (ie 4 16ths, it sounds wrong). I thought triplets were fitting just 3 16ths into the spave of 4 16ths. Obviously not. Help much appreciated.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 51/60             15-Nov-02  @  12:18 PM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

milan

Link?: Link

well look it up at brandy´s site, there´s a complete thank you list for the album and the "engineers and mixers" got credited, couldnt find psylichon though.

Message 52/60             15-Nov-02  @  01:03 PM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

Steve Webster

I don't think they credit tea boys! :-)

Message 53/60             15-Nov-02  @  10:47 PM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

psylichon

Man that's truly lame. They even made a big deal about how R.J. goes nuts with making sure everyone (down to the 'teaboy') gets credited, wrote my name down and all. But I'm nowhere in the credits posted online. And I'm not about to buy that shitty album just to make sure.

pfffa

psy

Message 54/60             16-Nov-02  @  03:09 AM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

operant

Btw...since you mentioned dubby basslines. What could be a cheap alternative to the fender classic p bass for dub stuff?

Message 55/60             16-Nov-02  @  03:18 PM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

damballah

the squire p bass

Message 56/60             16-Nov-02  @  08:20 PM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

operant

Thanks for the tip. I'm looking forward to experimenting with live bass in my techhouz tracks.. as soon as I learn how to play first...

Message 57/60             19-Nov-02  @  09:26 AM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

JX3P0

Link?:  Link

For P-Bass madness seek out the JP-90.It
had active P and J pickups.Was a budget Jap
Fender but super playable.Should be second
hand at a lil more than a squire.They have a
new one too that looks the part.Mustangs
have a split single coil and can do some
damage.Just make sure you use an Ampeg
as your amp.They made a nice single 15"
convertible unit about 8 yrs back.Good stuff.

Message 58/60             25-Nov-02  @  03:01 PM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

BJT

Someone mentioning moving the snares and claps forward?

I thought it was more common to move the BDs forward a tick or two, apparantly it gives a more of a "doof" effect. I think it could be because then the lows reach your ear before the highs. But I don't know, any thoughts?

I don't like moving the snares forward because I use them as a reference when beatmixing, especially the first snare. (breakbeat and drum'n'bass DJ).

Message 59/60             26-Nov-02  @  03:04 AM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

k

bass tips for ye olde style dubs No. 372 - use FLATWOUND strings - not roundwound

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 60/60             27-Nov-02  @  03:01 AM   -   RE: Getting A Dubby Sound

JX3P0

Definitely flatwounds.And leave the same
ones on til they break.k,check this out.I'm
broke right now but the cat w/ the prime Time
is gonna let me do yardwork and gutter
cleaning for my balance.

H- Yardstyle?

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 60 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)