aaa The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!! - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

26-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Original Message                 Date: 30-Apr-10  @  03:04 AM   -   The numbskull electronic tinkerer show ! x0xb0x

nutoniom

Link?:  Link
File?:  [image]

[image file]

Welcome...

(no really, i always wanted to say that in a low slightly distorted voice...sigh...)

to The numbskull electronic tinkerer show

Here, I will attempt before your very eyes to put together a monophonic, computer controlled synthesizer: a clone of the Roland TB-303.

Now that everyone and his brother has gone through this build, I feel confident enough that every one and his brother has run in every conceivable problem there is, so I plunge !

Actually it's more complicated than that. i wanted to build one for a long time, but waiting list for kits were almost a decade long (ok, slight overemphasis here, but still...)

Fortunately, ada fruit industries , the people responsible for the birth of thid magnificent clone, have found a deserving heir in the body of

Willzyx who is now supplying express kit through his shop, and soon complete kits. Hurray!!! (note that as i write this , he is out of kits, but he should have some in the coming weeks.)

Now, the x0xb0x being an open source project , anyone can build one for themselve following the provided instructions on the ada fruit site: everything is given out, code, pcb design files, cnc files, everything. But unless your proficient with all this stuff, your best bet is to go with a kit so you don't have to source every component for yourself, which can be daunting, believe me.

so, here I will be documenting my build of a x0xb0x, both for your enjoyment and mine, of course.

see you on the bench : )

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 51/66             24-May-10  @  05:52 PM   -   RE: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

rags .aka. welder

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

OMG, these modulars... my pills... get me my pills.. aaarghh!

Nice job on that xoxbox bulid!

Message 52/66             30-May-10  @  02:50 PM   -   RE: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

Maarten

nutoniom wrote:

Wheres Influx when you need him !

Quality tracks for sure Maarten, youve really upped your game to an another level alltogether. How much are you actually giving us, encoding wise ? Will there be a possibility to acquire the whole lot as Flac somehow ?

A self enclosed package (with cd linings and everything) is not very practical I reckon, but Id really like to have the whole wave to myself mod.

Im listening again right now, and this really kicks, luverly  

ACID FREAK TR-CORE MAYHEM

Sent you a PM

Message 53/66             04-Jun-10  @  02:23 AM   -   RE: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

k

yeah, where is influx?

btw - any chance of some video of the beast?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 54/66             04-Jun-10  @  03:17 AM   -   RE: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

nutoniom

[image file]

Hey, Rags ! Thanks for the comments : )

So, this week kids, we're gonna have some wee bit 'o fun working on a JX-3P, yeah !

Ok, maybe not fun, more like crazy insane work

Message 55/66             04-Jun-10  @  03:22 AM   -   RE: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

nutoniom

k wrote:

yeah, where is influx?

btw - any chance of some video of the beast?

Unfortunately, i don't have a video camera, I'll see if I can do something with my digi cam, i'll have to rtfm : )

Yeah, where is this boy, he seems to have completely vanished !

Message 56/66             04-Jun-10  @  03:33 AM   -   RE: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

nutoniom

[image file]

So, here is a view of the DIN board (over the power supply, with the big black caps) that I will modify with the Midi expansion kit that should be available soon, right here: around 35 EU, not bad really for what it does:

t adds a lot more MIDI functionality to the Roland JX-3P synthesizer like:

* simultaneous use of the MIDI Input and PG-200
* control the JX-3P realtime with standard MIDI CC messages. (i.e. with a MIDI-Knob controller).
* all knobs and switches on the PG-200 send out standard MIDI CC messages.
* select the MIDI channel on the JX-3P as 1, 2, 3 or OMNI
* velocity sensitivity (MIDI input only, not the keyboard)
JX-3P midi expansion kit

Message 57/66             04-Jun-10  @  03:36 AM   -   RE: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

nutoniom

[image file]

EEEWWWW, dirty dirty dirty main board

Message 58/66             04-Jun-10  @  03:39 AM   -   RE: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

nutoniom

[image file]

more dirtyness for all you crusty electro-punks out there

Message 59/66             04-Jun-10  @  03:45 AM   -   RE: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

nutoniom

[image file]

main board cleaned and molex connectors labelled (it might seem overshoot, but I really don't want to spend anytime shagging the dog when i put it all back together, i also label screws on tape and wrap them in it)

For cleaning, I tape a toilet paper core roll to the nozzle of my vacuum cleaner, this way I'm not affraid to go in there and fuck something up. I also use natural pig hair brush to disludge the dirt. i have a micro vacuum attachment kit, but I'm not comfortable brushing esd sensible IC's with a synthetic brush, maybe i'm just over paranoid with esd, maybe not.

Message 60/66             04-Jun-10  @  03:53 AM   -   RE: The numbskull electronic tinkerer show !!!

nutoniom

[image file]

panel board is out and molex conn id'ed

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

There are 66 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)