aaa high end - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: high end

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Original Message                 Date: 12-Jan-02  @  09:34 PM   -   high end

Pongoid

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

a buddy of mine is about to invest in a really nice studio, and I'm looking for info on various old, warm, high end consoles. Not like SSL/Gamble type prices, but definately over the $100,000 mark. I know some of the stuff below that, but I'm kinda in the dark on the really high end. I know convertors, and the digital medium fairly well, but need more info on what, where and how much, before sinking re

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 91/144             19-May-02  @  09:56 PM     Edit: 19-May-02  |  10:00 PM   -   RE: high end

Deano

Link?: Link

File?:  [image]

[image file]

Message 92/144             21-May-02  @  03:23 PM   -   RE: high end

Brett

Link?:  No link

well, I really didn't know. You guys are the experts on this stuff. I am glad you talk about it. You turned me on to the MTA stuff, and as soon as I have some cash, I am getting that channel strip. I think a dbx160 as well. So I do have faith in vintage sound, it's the funtionality that I am turned off to. Don't many studios mix fom protools back through the console though, and use hardware comps etc.? Are there any new consoles that have a vintage sound, but compliment it with automation and routing options? When I say vintage, I know everything has it's own character, but are their any new boards coming out with the ability to add vintage eq and comp modules?

Message 93/144             21-May-02  @  04:26 PM   -   RE: high end

k

well, i guess some people like to play vintage les pauls thru an old Orange stack & some like a new guitar with a rack of super-dupa new guitar bits & bobs... there's no accounting for taste  

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 94/144             21-May-02  @  04:32 PM   -   RE: high end

k

"Are there any new consoles that have a vintage sound, but compliment it with automation and routing options? When I say vintage, I know everything has it's own character, but are their any new boards coming out with the ability to add vintage eq and comp modules"

just to add, there is many older boards with automation, i've used neve & harrison automated desks & their routing is fine too - and you can add vintage eq or comps etc to ANY setup, it's not dependent on the board at all.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 95/144             24-May-02  @  07:14 AM   -   RE: high end

bedwyr

here's a quote from butch vig in this months sound on sound. he's talking about producing garbage. (ho ho ho)

"we use pro tools as our main medium, that's where evrything ends up, but we still track a lot to analogue tape (studers). When we started the record, (an engineer) discovered an old Trident A-range desk for sale. We weren't looking for one, but i've worked on Tridents before, and we love old boards like APIs, Neves and Tridents.

.... we tracked everything through it. It's an amazing sounding board: whether you need EQ or not, if you just insert it into the channel it adds all this character and colour. It gives a thickness and darkness to some of the songs, the tonality of it really colours the sound in a good way."

Message 96/144             24-May-02  @  12:43 PM   -   RE: high end

k

oh yes!..

Message 97/144             26-May-02  @  09:58 PM   -   RE: high end

Brett

hear a lot about fairchild camps that cost $20k, any photo's?

also Neve 3300996 or somthing? forgot the actual model. Never seen one, so I guess these things are just that rare that only the top srudios can afford them. Just curious if there have been any knock offs made over the years that do a good job emulating either of these comps.

Message 98/144             27-May-02  @  09:18 AM   -   RE: high end

milan

haaaa hahahaaaa...

Message 99/144             27-May-02  @  07:45 PM   -   RE: high end

Brett

why is that funny? I am not talking cheap bargain knock offs. Just new stuff that sounds old, like manley limiters are supposed sound like the 1176 etc..

Message 100/144             27-May-02  @  08:02 PM   -   RE: high end

milan

well, if you want a neve youŽll have to get a neve. or a focusrite mebbe. or amek also mebbe. but its not the same.

for 1176/1178, thereŽs a bunch of h/w copies around, usually much less expensive than manley.

as for fairchild, i dont think iŽve ever heard of modern day replacement. and iŽve ever only met one person who actually used one. its also supposed to weight 20 kilos, picture that.

as for new stuff that sounds old, joe meek comes to mind. nice sound and affordable. even the cheap units have the sound of their more expensive models. unlike what iŽve heard about TLA and focusrite.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

There are 144 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)