aaa E5000 - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

17-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: E5000

Viewing all 26 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/26             27-Nov-99  @  06:39 AM   -   E5000

Timo.Kiviniemi

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Now there's been couple of weeks since Emu announced the new machine but has anyone bought it yet?
I sold my A3000 so I can buy E5000 but should I just buy the beast or wait some review?
Any comments

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/26             27-Nov-99  @  07:53 AM   -   RE: E5000

R-Tek

The only prob. I can see with it is there r only 4 outs and an extra 8 r listed £459 (ouch). Sure is a great piece of kit though........Ironically, one of me mates was considering selling his Ultra 4 an A3000 - the Emu isn`t as good a soundprocessor as the Yammy, but I think the Ultra is a far better machine 4 basing your studio around.....there have been a few reviews about I`m not sure if SOS have yet, but check the above link anyway.....May actually b worth saving up a bit of extra dough and getting the 6400 Ultra cos once you`ve bought the extra outs 4 the 5000, you`ll probably have paid more..........good luck anyway.

Message 3/26             28-Nov-99  @  11:05 AM   -   RE: E5000

k

Link?:  No link

but I thought it had adat connectors?...

Message 4/26             28-Nov-99  @  03:31 PM   -   RE: E5000

R-Tek

does it? I knew they`re gonna come preloaded with some sounds but I just assumed Emu would revise the rest of the Ultra range to bring everything into line. Maybe they wont, in order 2 make the 5000 seem more attractive and steal some more of the Akai audience......

Message 5/26             28-Nov-99  @  04:26 PM   -   RE: E5000

jondl

There is an online copy of the E5000 product spec's and manual in PDF format at the E-mu site. It looks like a long overdue entry into the mid-range market from E-mu that *finally* uses the EOS operating system. Previously, only the upper mid-range and high-end models used the EOS OS. EOS has a pretty solid history of being updated wheres as the old Emax and ESI series had a finite number of OS upgrades before they were replaced by new model entries. The MSRP is $1695 - not too bad - and there are a fair number of hardware upgrades available too:

http://www.emu.com

I've not heard the built in effects - I'm certain they're decent but, I don't know that they are "exotic" sounding as say the A3000 or ASR-X PRO.

regards,
jondl

Message 6/26             28-Nov-99  @  04:51 PM   -   RE: E5000

R-Tek

If the FX on it r the same as on the 6400, then they will b absolute shit.........saggier than my gran....but the RFX chip is coming out soon and that sounds a bit special 2 say the least

Message 7/26             29-Nov-99  @  02:48 PM   -   RE: E5000

k

it'll certainly be interesting to see how the quality is upheld now they are under Creative's wing...

Message 8/26             30-Nov-99  @  12:40 PM   -   RE: E5000

fvicente

Hi all,

In regards to the ADAT i/o, none of the Ultras come standard with it. It is an option. If you have ADAT capability on a digital mixer (like a Yamaha 01/v), the need for the 8 analog outputs is not necessary.

The biggest differences it seems on this from the other Ultras is the analog outs and the inability to make it 128 voice polyphony. I'm considering buying one myself as, for the price of an E4XT Ultra and a few bucks more (like $50-100), I can buy 2 e5000's and get 128 voice polyphony with 8 outputs (4 for each unit) but 256 Mb RAM capability. Eventually, I may buy a second one.

One thing I find interesting is that, on the E-mu website, it states that there are 3 external slots and 5 internal slots for expansion on the E-5K. The other Ultras only list 3 external slots and *1* internal slot. I'm wondering if E-mu has plans for this unit and if a newer Ultra sampler (possibly at NAMM?) will have expansion capabilities not possible with older Ultras.

FVicente

Message 9/26             01-Dec-99  @  02:45 AM   -   RE: E5000

fvicente

Hi,

Just to add to my previous post,

I think that E-mu has a typo on their site. The e6400 Ultra lists as having only 1 internal expansion slot. I believe it really is 7. That datasheet says 7 but the features list on the main e6400 product info page says 1. Since the e5000 is supposed to be a scaled down version, this makes sense.

FVicente

Message 10/26             10-Dec-99  @  08:04 PM   -   RE: E5000

K

well.. it auto samples, truncates & normalises samples as you record... nice... 64 note tops (unexpandable) -

option cards are: an extra midi port /sockets.. Dig i/o, wordclock, or the adat option 16 out 8 in... also there's a 4 out upgrade to 8 balanced poly outs.. you can also plugin a pc keyboard for naming samples & patches etc etc -

with the synthesis at this e-mu level, (and that goes for all e-mu samplers going right back) it's also a synth, cos the features for synthesis are up to it as always but with more power as you go up the range, also e-mu's disks have great sounds as well as thousands of imitations all mapped and ready to play on library - it also reads akai series emax2, roly s700 cdrom or scsi.... plus you can get rom bank upgrades ready to go presets & waves... the E5000 has zplane & morphing filters etc sweep filters, 2 lfo's & 3 6 way adsr's phaser & flanger etc.. plus the fx remember... which are included not option.

Plus, you got a flash memory option, 16 or 32 mb, sounds can be saved and organised on the flash... (for newbies, the flashram saves on powerdown, so when you boot, the sounds are ready to go...) that'd be no-doubt expensive, but it's be good for live work

also... there is the ability to add in a mega synth !!!.... two rom option upgrades- ,... each with 500 presets from either the E-synth , or the Orbit/planet-Phatt range...

the other
there's a big sample mangling big similar to the yamaha beat randomising which throws out variations chooped and re-ordered etc.. the e-mu version allows stuff like re-grooving sliced grooves etc etc - lots of fx & wierdness

50 pin SCSI is standard - balanced analog stereo In & 4 balanced poly outs all on 1/4"

well fuck !! - all in all, youve got the pretty much full-blown synthesis certainly up to making the oddests variations or loading up some of the best 'classic' imitations in the samopler world... e-mu samplers really hum as synths beleive me... theyve been at it for years, and it's pretty easy with their rptocol to grasp... once you define the keyboard area you want to treat, you ust select a function, and by assigning that function to a list of sources, you create routings for pretty much a well covered set of options for creative use... you can easily assign a sweep filter to velocity or aftertouch in a twinkle and/or assign the filter cutoff or res to annother controller whatever... it's quite easily laid out & logical on e-mu's... I'd say they are the easiest to learn and get to work with of all the makes -

add to that the ability to add-in 2 quality major synths, and then create tracks assigning parts to up to 16 outs for mixing or direct to ana adat equipt digital mixer in's... plus the fx... pretty damned powerful i'd say.. !!... i know e-mu's interface style, and it is very user freindly usually... i guess this will be no excetion... (it also does resampling with fx ! - hello !!...

you may see it as a downside to get only 4mb ram icluded, but my god, that's PLENTY to turn out a storming tune, even without the additional optional synth-roms... maybe the poly might seem a bit low given th rest of it is so well spec'd.. but again 64 notes is alot if the style is shart stabbing things as opposed to lots of huge layered pads evolving... you might want a bit more memory for a gig, but again 4mb is enuff for a set if you plan... remember with samplers you can compose, then create production disks for live work, that just load up keyma's of presets that are actually going to be played/sounded... that way you save wastefull top & bottom end samples which are covering parts of the scale you don't play - ok, it only saves small memory in most cases, but it all add's up, reduces load times & what have you... also, jugle with the sample rates,,, creates WAY more time on 4mb... Roland X0X drum sounds sampled at 30k or so... fine , save memory alot... same with vinyl loops... in alot of cases sampling them at 20k (11k playback is plenty - 10k is pretty damned high in the hearing range... it's the very top end sparkle on a microverb -1 reverb area... high... anyways - for the newbies, 4mb is plenty to create quality music without an upgrade... nice one E-mu...

Message 11/26             11-Dec-99  @  05:47 AM   -   RE: E5000

R-Tek

when I saw the nu Yammys, I seriously considered changing over from my Ultra but I decided against it. I think the Yammys score on instant gratification stakes, but the Emu sooooooo deep. U can mangle sound up on it better than any other sampler, the synth capabilities r awesome and the filters r capable of doing the most unholy of things 2 tired old sounds. I felt the beatmunger was a bit hit and miss but all in , its the perfect sampler 4 basing your studio around and its a piece of piss 2 learn 2 use as well - its my 1st sampler, and it only took me about a week 2 learn enough 2 start knocking up tunes (not vey good ones, I hasten 2 add, but tunes nonetheless).

Message 12/26             13-Dec-99  @  05:26 PM   -   RE: E5000

k

true - e-mu's have the easiest interface and 100% the best sound & synthesis - even better imo than the yammy althogh i'd say the yammy fx are better - anyways - that's the sampler for me !!! - my next purchase item i think -

Message 13/26             13-Dec-99  @  06:39 PM   -   RE: E5000

R-Tek

what the Emu or the Yam?

Message 14/26             15-Dec-99  @  02:40 PM   -   RE: E5000

k

e-mu - i did want the yammy, but e-mu are the nuts - the sound !!... and simple logical fast OS - still, i dunno - yammies are cheap s/h now !! :-)

by the way - anyone know ??... it doesn't mention if the e5000 reads .wav's

Message 15/26             15-Dec-99  @  03:22 PM   -   RE: E5000

R-Tek

Yeah, it`ll read wav files - my 6400 Ultra does, and thats essentially the same thing innit?

Message 16/26             16-Dec-99  @  03:15 PM   -   RE: E5000

fvicente

Yes, the E5000 Ultra will read .wav and aiff files. It reads them from floppy only AFAIK. It uses exactly the same operating system as the e6400 Ultra, ESynth Ultra, E4XT Ultra, etc.

I was going to buy a e6400 Ultra until this came along. It is cheaper (about $600-700 US cheaper in Canada) and it really only lacks the extra outputs and is limited to 64 voice polyphony.

To some it may be important. However, I will be using ADAT lightpipe to connect to my digital mixer (8 outputs) and it can expand to 12 analog outs if I want. Also, if I want the 128 voice polyphony, the price difference here between buying the polyphony card for the e6400 and buying a second E5000 is negligable.

It is a fantastic box with a stable OS. I'm supposed to be picking mine up next week. At the price point it is at, nothing can match it IMHO.

Fernando

Message 17/26             16-Dec-99  @  03:15 PM   -   RE: E5000

fvicente

Yes, the E5000 Ultra will read .wav and aiff files. It reads them from floppy only AFAIK. It uses exactly the same operating system as the e6400 Ultra, ESynth Ultra, E4XT Ultra, etc.

I was going to buy a e6400 Ultra until this came along. It is cheaper (about $600-700 US cheaper in Canada) and it really only lacks the extra outputs and is limited to 64 voice polyphony.

To some it may be important. However, I will be using ADAT lightpipe to connect to my digital mixer (8 outputs) and it can expand to 12 analog outs if I want. Also, if I want the 128 voice polyphony, the price difference here between buying the polyphony card for the e6400 and buying a second E5000 is negligable.

It is a fantastic box with a stable OS. I'm supposed to be picking mine up next week. At the price point it is at, nothing can match it IMHO.

Fernando

Message 18/26             16-Dec-99  @  03:18 PM   -   RE: E5000

fvicente

Sorry about the double-post. A little too trigger-happy.

Fernando

Message 19/26             16-Dec-99  @  03:40 PM   -   RE: E5000

R-Tek

Fernando - upgrade 2 eos402 if it doesn`t already come with it, there was a bug in 4 and (I believe) in 401 which made the sub outs real noisy and unusable - I nearly sent mine back 4 repairs untill a freind told me..........everythings cushty now though...almost, sub2s hiss a little if u push the volume up untill it warms up.

Message 20/26             16-Dec-99  @  05:08 PM   -   RE: E5000

fvicente

Thanks R-Tek. I did not know that. I believe it will come with 4.02 but I'll upgrade if it doesn't. I won't have to worry about Sub2 Outs as the E5000 doesn't have it. The E5000 has the Main stereo outs and Sub 1 Outs only. I do, however, plan on getting the ADAT card soon in the new year and won't be going out analog anyway.

Incidentally, are you using balanced cables to connect the outs to balanced inputs on your mixer? This can make a difference too.

Hope this helps and thanks for the tip.

Fernando

Message 21/26             17-Dec-99  @  12:47 PM   -   RE: E5000

R-Tek

Yeah, I`m using balanced, thanks anyway - that whole charade hasn`t stopped me from loving my e-mu though - those filters! Man, there is evil lurking in them kiddies, I have no qualms sampling my analogue synths cos the e-mu just seems 2 make it sound better........god knows why, but it does.

Message 22/26             17-Dec-99  @  03:06 PM   -   RE: E5000

k

heh heh - yes - e-mu roool - also they are so well made and reliable - my emax has been going for ten years without a glitch and i bought it s/h - wait for it - for 1300 quid s/h !!! - with a flightcase, it's done outdoor gigs, even with rain.... heh heh - solid !! - i think what it is with e-mu, they are owned by a bunch of LA ex-hippies & dope heads - you can tell that from early manuals - what other sampler manufacturer has a function built into the sampler where a little LCD emu runs across the screen - to test for "ww-global re-alignment and positioning", or some such joke function !! - heh heh - also, in the manual where it is talking about taking care of the e-max it says - "don't drop from heights" - and shows a cartoon of the sampler falling out of the back of an aircraft cargo-door - where it says - "don't allow the unit to get hot", it shows an egg frying on top of the sampler - and where it talks about formatting or some other function - it says: "this can take some time - you could call out for pizza!!!"
ha ha

Message 23/26             19-Dec-99  @  06:46 PM   -   RE: E5000

Lyrebird

i'm not sure about this but is the E5000 expandable to ultra specs

Message 24/26             19-Dec-99  @  09:32 PM   -   RE: E5000

fvicente

Hi Lyrebird,

The E5000 *is* an Ultra. It runs the exact same OS as the its big brothers. The only differences are:

- 64 voice polyphony max (the others can be expanded with a card to 128 voices)
- 4 balanced outputs instead of 8
- 5 internal slots instead of 7
- LCD is green rather than blue

Everything else is the same. There are 3 external expansion slots just like the others (you can add 8 more balanced outputs to give you 12 max). All of the regular Ultra options are compatible.

I am picking up my E5000 Ultra this week. I've had it on order and have a E4XT (non ultra) on loan at the moment. The way I saw it, I've got a digital mixer so I'll be getting the adat option. The outputs won't make a difference to me here now. If I want to go to 128 voices, I'll buy a second E5000 since the price will only be a few more hundred dollars than getting an E6400 Ultra and the polyphony option. As well, I'll have a backup unit then too :-)

For me it made complete sense to go with the E5000. For others it won't.

Hope this clears things up.

Fernando

Message 25/26             27-Dec-99  @  10:40 PM   -   RE: E5000

wai

I'm selling a mint Ultra if anyone's intersted. 8 MTH's old with 32 meg, e synth rom, 20 sample cd's.
B4 you ask why i'm selling it, it's because i had one stolen, and since my insurance company took so long, bought another one, and now they have come to a decision to replace my EMU, so i'll have 2 if i don't sell it.

Message 26/26             14-Jan-00  @  02:29 AM   -   RE: E5000

opus636

i want to know are the Z-plane filters the same as the Morpheus ??? for the 5000???

Viewing all 26 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 26 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)