aaa A new "vote yourself to the top" - Music tracks & feedback forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music tracks & feedback

Subject: A new "vote yourself to the top"

Viewing all 88 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 9

Original Message 1/88             26-Feb-02  @  08:37 PM   -   A new

influx

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

"Listen to the rythmic chaotic instrument. A distant square is playing notes, a sequence from correct notes to totally insane others. A melodic base, always playing the perfect notes, no error at all, adding even more contradiction to the music. A melody, based on a sawtooth pad, is trying to play the better possible but some weird notes occur because the rythm is making all insane because its duality of perfect rythm but a terrbly chaotic pitch. A man (priest) saying "we all here are towards the grave" makes that sort of broken satanic nintendo even more scary. A kickdrum, which adds necesary emotion to the scene, but only used on strategic points followed by a groovy house hihat patterns, finally the song vanish. Only that odd rythm is there, laughing at you, he absorbed all remaining patterns, like a dark hole. ---------------------------------------------------- Unfortunately there's no photographic registry of the console. "

NINTENDO? WHAT THE FUCK?

my man...you might be taking yourself just a LITTLE too seriously

better start voting EVERY DAY so you can see your name at the top of the shit hot DT chart!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/88             26-Feb-02  @  09:13 PM   -   RE: A new

bedwyr

Link?: Link

wow.

Message 3/88             26-Feb-02  @  09:18 PM   -   RE: A new

sitar

I'll figure out what the hell you're talking about when I get home from work. In the meantime, I noticed that Hyenas is still ruling the chart.

Message 4/88             26-Feb-02  @  09:48 PM   -   RE: A new

steve

Link?:  No link

classy.

gets my vote.

Message 5/88             26-Feb-02  @  10:04 PM   -   RE: A new

influx

a quote from the guy that votes for himself everyday

and FUCK hyenas for their lame bullshit, and their pussy refusal to respond to my email challenges.

Message 6/88             26-Feb-02  @  11:55 PM   -   RE: A new

steve

I was trying to think what that little melody reminded me of - its charlies angels, innit? I`m gonna make my own all new genre now then - I`ll use fruity loops and stick a melody in it loosely based on the themetune to 1960/70s 'hit' sitcom, 'steptoe and son'. I can have some robo-voices in it saying stuff like "ooh harold, promise me you`ll look after me when I`m old and frail" and then, "what are you talking about you daft old sod, you are old and frail" etc etc. *canned laughter*

I`m superstyling.

Message 7/88             27-Feb-02  @  12:33 AM   -   RE: A new

sitarsong

LOL to the both of ya.

Message 8/88             27-Feb-02  @  12:34 AM   -   RE: A new

Brett B

I posted some new tunes up but I don't think anyone has even listened. Why don't you all give me a curtious listen. I voted for your track Mr Influx. That insane DnB bass gets off. Tell me your secret. My tracks are getting some vocals. A vocoder that says "spores" on the one track, and some of my vocals and my sister's on Sunshine in the Rain. I am going into the studio in a few weeks to finish them up. I am also workiong on a cheesy ATB knind of trance song for her thats going to Sony.

Message 9/88             27-Feb-02  @  12:43 AM   -   RE: A new

influx

I did listen to one of your recent posts, Brett. Just not into it. sounds quality tho

Message 10/88             27-Feb-02  @  12:50 AM   -   RE: A new

Brett B

did you listen to the new full length spores "funky mold mix". I only posted it last night. It's much btter than the other spores clip I had up.

Message 11/88             27-Feb-02  @  12:53 AM   -   RE: A new

Brett B

and you didn't answer my question about that nasty bass you got. I have an mks-80 and it will growl through a pedal, but I am a little displaced due to constrution at my house. Only me and my pc are set up. So all tracks are being done in reason and I have to go to a studio for other stuff for now.

Message 12/88             27-Feb-02  @  01:01 AM   -   RE: A new

VIRUS

Message 13/88             27-Feb-02  @  02:01 AM   -   RE: A new

sitar

Brett, I want to listen to your tracks too. It's been a little hard for me to listen to tracks the last month or more. Which post is yours? And hell I gotta listen to a bunch. I'm gonna try to carve out some time tomorrow night.

Message 14/88             27-Feb-02  @  02:27 AM   -   RE: A new

Brett B

just click on my home page link. The nwe ones ae "Spores" (funky mold mix), and "Sunshine in The rain" Both awaiting vocal tracks.

Message 15/88             27-Feb-02  @  02:41 AM   -   RE: A new

influx

I think I listened to sunshine in the rain. I forgot to save the title..just has a DT number

Message 16/88             27-Feb-02  @  03:53 AM   -   RE: A new

Brett B

spores has the break beat flavor

Message 17/88             27-Feb-02  @  04:43 PM   -   RE: A new

knowa

so those tracks are reason-only? all subtractor? really not my kind of music, but sounds well-produced....with all that gear, you mostly use reason, huh? I just got reason and I have this "it's too good to be true" feeling about it. I keep dorking around and making Full Cycle rip- offs in ten minute's...that Dr. Rex is ridiculous...you think the subtractor holds it's own against reaktor? against your juno? is it true that lots of heads are releasing reason-only/mostly tracks?

Message 18/88             27-Feb-02  @  06:32 PM   -   RE: A new

DJ MEGAHEAD

DJ MEGAHEAD IS GUILTY OF VOTING FOR HIMSELF THE ODD TIME

BUT HEY WHO DOSEN'T?

WELL AT LEAST DJ MEGAHEAD ASKED PEOPLE TO VOTE FOR HIM AND DJ MEGAHEAD WOULD LIKE TO THANK EVERYBODY FOR THEIR SUPPORT AND WHO HAS VOTED SO FAR IN FAVOUR OF TRANCE MUSIC PRODUCTION

HOWEVER,DJ MEGAHEAD NEEDS MORE VOTES AND INSTEAD OF POSTING MORE SILLY PICTURES I AM CALLING ON MY FANS TO SUPPORT ME JUST THAT LITTLE BIT MORE, GO THE EXTRA KILOMETER SO TO SPEAK

ONLY WHEN DJ MEGAHEAD REACHES NUMBER ONE WILL HIS EGO BE COMPLETE

SORRY ENGLISH MY BAD

MAY THE TRANCE MUSIC BE WITH YOU

Message 19/88             27-Feb-02  @  06:50 PM   -   RE: A new

milan

wow. satanic nintendo! what a cool name  

i´m having it for my next track :P

Message 20/88             27-Feb-02  @  08:44 PM   -   RE: A new

Frostbyte

steve and dave, don't do that. I'm not supposed to laugh out loud alone in the backstore. you'll get me caught.

and steve, where's that mullet sporting lawyer of yours? those three notes are still mine you looney lutonite.

Brett, is that true ? I guess i'll have to listen to see what you mean. Do you have the MPG80 for that baby ? Does it have cross modulation ? I'll listen tonight, it just seems odd. I'm not trying to patronise you or anything.

Message 21/88             28-Feb-02  @  01:43 AM   -   RE: A new

sitar

Brett, I'm listening to Spores. Good track. You have nice syncopations going throughout. Good sounds and it all keeps interesting. Well done track. Good luck with the track you're sending off to Sony. So many differing styles here at DT.

Sunshine in the Rain. This is a nice track too. Nice feel to it. You definately have some excellent production going on your tracks. I likey. I don't know about where it almost comes to a sonic halt at about 3:00, but hey. Excellent track though.

Message 22/88             28-Feb-02  @  02:32 PM   -   RE: A new

Frostbyte

sure is nice, but i miss the grit. It's too "nice". But i guess you need that if you want to work in Big Studios. Good luck.

and disregard my comment alltogether, i'm just an ageing punk  

Message 23/88             28-Feb-02  @  06:22 PM   -   RE: A new

cloud nine

HEY MEGAHEAD, I DIDN'T KNOW YOU HAD ANY FANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 24/88             28-Feb-02  @  09:32 PM   -   RE: A new

Brett B

Sitar, there is goign to be a new vocal that comes in on that break. I just haven't recorded it yet. My studio is boxed up. All I have is Reason. Should be back on line this week and the mic will be ordered. A nice studio projects c1-only $229, and every review gave it major comparison to the u87 and said for vocals it sounds spot on! So hopfully I can get some good quality tracks out of it. I may have to experiment with the rooms and placement a bit.

Message 25/88             28-Feb-02  @  11:53 PM   -   RE: A new

Barry '3 nipples' Rafferty,lawyer of top lad Steve

File?:  [image]

[image file]

I am here.

My client has instructed me to inform you that you now have 30 days to completely cease use of the hallowed 3 note melody (U.S. patent pending). Failure to adhere to these instructions will leave us with no other option than to commence court proceedings.

Good day to you.

Message 26/88             01-Mar-02  @  04:06 AM   -   RE: A new

spyro

WoW! three nipples?? Amazing!!

And please, influx, don't be silly man, I didn't bothered you at all, in fact I did vote for you some times, so why are you doing this??

I'm not hyenas, I'm not Megahead so leave me alone man! I'm just doing music, dedicated to it, no more, no less.

BTW: The track is just finished, is called "Chaotic perfection", and is here if you want to hear it:

http://www.shockinsider.com/spyro/cp.htm

Message 27/88             01-Mar-02  @  04:57 AM   -   RE: A new

Brett B

no i don't have the mpg-80, i use the sysex codes for the parameters programed into the remote banks on my o1v. so i have full hands on control of all the realtime stuff i need.

as for the juno, don't touch since i got reason. No "Reason" to....

Reason has a great limiter on it written into the software, so everything comes out sounding so smooth and tight and loud, and everything is so in tune.

I honestly couldn't get this quality out of my older gear.

If i go live, I will use a Virus down the road to dial up similar sounds. And since the midi is all there in Reason, I just export it over to what ever sequencer I need to use.

Message 28/88             01-Mar-02  @  05:55 AM   -   RE: A new

Frostbyte

My god it's ugly. I can't believe you hate me that much. I was expecting a well manered, saville row clad beefcake, with a slight inclination for bondage and Compton-Burnett.

nb: don't mind the 3 nipples tho'  

Does the sysex clog the midi data ? (just curious as i have no intentions to rack my brain with it anytime soon, but was under impression cc's were more efficient traffic wise)

I think i'll be able to muscle my way up for "Best overall shit talker"

Message 29/88             01-Mar-02  @  06:08 AM   -   RE: A new

influx

why? because you stated that you vote for your own tracks "every day" and I saw that you had a new one up, so I figured give it a week or so and itll climb to the top

I just thought that whole thing was sort of like OTHER voting systems, where OBSERVERS or LISTENERS vote

imagine if politicians could vote for themselves as much as they want. STILL pointless cuz it doesnt prove anything!

you are right, though, it is QUITE silly of me to even notice, but it just bugs me

but wait..what is the difference between you and hyenas? you guys do the same thing, right? they just have more tracks that they think are hot shit

Message 30/88             01-Mar-02  @  06:16 AM   -   RE: A new

Frostbyte

if voting could change something, it would be illegal. besides, all charts are manipulated. extensively

who is you?

I'm confused, fat churro time  

Message 31/88             01-Mar-02  @  09:16 AM   -   RE: A new

influx

"you" is matias M (I wont insult him by mis-spelling his name) or apparently DJ Spyro as well.

Message 32/88             02-Mar-02  @  03:52 AM     Edit: 02-Mar-02  |  06:49 AM   -   RE: A new

spyro

You are angry because you were on the top the first weeks but not now, so no matter who is on the top you will treat him like shit.

I recall, do you posted a message about you beeing on the top, inflated enough I must say, and someone replied you with something like he wanted to see you when you fall down off the charts.

Yes! you were on the top of the charts, your track "Smoke and mirrors" is well made although is not my cup of tea.

I can recall many good tracks, including the Xoxo's "Virtual paradize" and they aren't on the chart right now.

The charts doesn't mean anything as kilo said at the beginning of the competition.

I voted for myself, as I said, is the least I can do to support my own work, and I'm sure many others did the same, including you, but I was the only one to admit it.

Let the jugdes pick the winner, I think my track is good enough to win, I think many tracks are good enough to win, including yours.

Message 33/88             02-Mar-02  @  05:46 AM   -   RE: A new

damballah

win what? that chart has nothing to do with winning anything.

Message 34/88             02-Mar-02  @  06:45 AM   -   RE: A new

spyro

That's exactly my point.

Message 35/88             02-Mar-02  @  10:18 AM   -   RE: A new

influx

and..when I was" on the top" of the stupid fucking thing it had nothing to do with me voting for myself, homeboy

I am angry about many things, but not being at the top of the dancetech chart isnt one of them (actually, youre no longer there either!)

awww this is pointless. just keep doing all the things you can if they make you feel bigger, man. more power to you.

Message 36/88             02-Mar-02  @  10:22 AM   -   RE: A new

bedwyr

m, ahhhh, do you feel you're being treated like shit? ahh, bless. you put yourself up there, take it.

bich.

Message 37/88             02-Mar-02  @  11:23 AM   -   RE: A new

milan

haha! its tough at the top, innit ;)

no what

Message 38/88             02-Mar-02  @  02:58 PM   -   RE: A new

xoxos

hey now let's all get angry at dj megahead again he he

"¡no polito!" he he

Message 39/88             02-Mar-02  @  06:40 PM   -   RE: A new

spyro

>(actually, youre no longer there either!)

Yep! i'm not there  

>awww this is pointless.

Yep!

Peace.

Message 40/88             02-Mar-02  @  06:51 PM   -   RE: A new

damballah

pointless? wait! I thought part of the point was your descriptive paragraph. I for one applaud your creativity. I haven't yet managed to churn out such an odd piece of writing about any of my own tracks. and I may have never been so privileged as to read it if influx didn't call it to our attention. bravo, matias! bravo, dj spyro!

Message 41/88             02-Mar-02  @  09:04 PM   -   RE: A new

influx

oh yeah! that was it!!!! it wasnt even the track anymore 

it was the BLURB  man..that is one of the FREAKIEST peaces of written material I have ever seen!

thanks for reminding me damballah

Message 42/88             03-Mar-02  @  01:57 PM   -   RE: A new

straight outta compton

YO YO MUTHAFUCKAHS!!

Anyone wanna buy a KORG i3, a Mixer, a NUMARK Double CD Player and some other stuff to help a brotha out with his crack habits

Check it yo

and out

Message 43/88             03-Mar-02  @  09:29 PM   -   RE: A new

spyro

he he he!!

Don't remind me that please! That day was a fuckin nighmare to me and my family, we were all tied up, from my lil brother to my grandmother.

I can see my Korg i3 taking dirt on a dark room, sob!

Message 44/88             03-Mar-02  @  10:57 PM   -   RE: A new

influx

what the hell? you got robbed?

Message 45/88             04-Mar-02  @  03:53 AM   -   RE: A new

Brett B

I really only put my tracks up here for my freinds in other cities to know what I have been up to. We all support each other in this business, And it really is not important what a bunch of internet addicted freaks think. Me included! Oooooh the DT chart!!!!!!!!!!!! Big f...ing deal! you sell records right? That's all I am worried about. The people here are so picky and focused on the style they do, that none of us really should be judging each other. It's like comparing apples and oranges. Some of the music I hear on the list is just flat out wierd and would never really have any comercial value. commercial value is what enables you to move forward.

As for the sysex being slow or tricky, it's not. You just type in the 9 digits of hex into the slider on the bank of my o1v, and the value hex is set to fad so the fader position determines the value. Sonar and cubase record it flawlessly. But you can't edit it graphicly like cc's. One way around this is to use waveidea's midi-remapper and have those same sysex messages converted to a cc on input and output so you could edit them. Another would be to have a graphic editor for sysex synths in mind and implimented into the application but i have yet to see this. You can do so much with sysex that the cc's don't support, like making parameter changes to the fx etc. that are not designed for realtime, like reverb decay. . So you can assign that to a controler like the kenton control freak or my o1v and now have realtime control of non realtime parameters.

Message 46/88             04-Mar-02  @  04:07 AM   -   RE: A new

sitarsong

The thing is Brett, if you allow yourself to get too hung up on making commercially viable music you don't move forward either. People get stuck in ruts that way in trying to please the recording industry and even if they "make it" in the commercial world they tend to become stale and get tossed away after a year or 2. In the US most dance music is considered to be flat out weird. I remember telling a girl, a musician herself, about Orbital. She went and bought one of their cds. The next time I saw her all she had to say was 'to each their own I guess'. She hardly thought it was definable as music. She listens to Gloria Estafan and all those pop chart people. My point is, Orbital is weird. And they're great.

Message 47/88             04-Mar-02  @  08:21 AM   -   RE: A new

Frostbyte

Oh fuck you Mark, you had to say it out loud before i've even got a chance :P
You're a lemming Brett, and i don't care about you. You've got it all figured all out, haven't you?

"The money can be made if you really want some more"

That's really all what i'll to say ! coming from a lemming, mind you!

OI! OI ! OI !

Message 48/88             04-Mar-02  @  08:37 AM   -   RE: A new

Frostbyte

besides, it's all so proper !!!!!

Message 49/88             04-Mar-02  @  09:27 AM   -   RE: A new

influx

I hope you guys know that I have a copyright on the word lemming with the connotation of being a follower

MINE MINE MINE

Message 50/88             04-Mar-02  @  09:44 AM   -   RE: A new

bedwyr

"commercial value is what enables you to move forward."

i don't understand. what does this mean?

Message 51/88             04-Mar-02  @  10:27 AM   -   RE: A new

Brett B

It's funny you mention Orbital. The fact that you would equate the talent you or the likes of the rest of you cocks who needless don't respect others opinions, to being anything close to Orbital in style or skill. What a joke. You can sit in your bedroom studio making tracks for other people siting in there bedroom studios. Or you can make some decent music that will get played for a real audience who is willing to pay. Have it your way, and keep complaining about who does or doesn't belong on the charts......because it's realy realy realy important!!!!! really , ...lemming....., That's rich! hahah

Message 52/88             04-Mar-02  @  11:07 AM   -   RE: A new

bedwyr

no need to be nasty. so you say that someone buying your music gives it value?

Message 53/88             04-Mar-02  @  12:09 PM   -   RE: A new

Brett B

I am not being nasty, I am just laughing at how agressive some these of people are. Read back, you can twist every thread into somthing new if you want, all I am saying is that it is stupid to get worked up because of the charts, because the music here is so diverse that no one can really compare their music. I voted for that chaotic perfection track. it made me laugh. Reminded me of that old ass moog album, drawing a blank right now...the beasties stole the albumn cover for intergalactic from it. Somthing about "the new sound from way out"

anyway the point was that some DT users are flat out dicks, and always look for an oppurtunity to be assholes. The point I made is valid as far i am concerned. Don't get worked up about the chart....blah blah blah, and that some of the music here is wierd , meaning experimental for fun, and not to be taken seriously. and i am not puting in 16 hour days in front of computer making tracks to entertain a few peple on a one web site. I make music that i love, and i know many else will as well. Comercail vailue needed to move forward had nothing to with artistic growth, simply a professional reality. If your music doesn't sell, then you will not have the same opurtunity do other things and projects that can come from comercial success. Film sound track, TV, and other production. Not even large scale success. i mean you can have an albumn flop, but the right people liked it artisticly and open a door for you.

I get qet a kick out the die hard club head making music to just for the sake of it. If that suits you, fine. It doesn't me.

Message 54/88             04-Mar-02  @  04:27 PM   -   RE: A new

Frostbyte

ooooh I was nasty again.
I'm known for spouting shit when I'm drunk. Mind you, I do it under my name, so I'm allowed  
I do it less often too, so consider yourself special.

I kind of apologize for the aggro post, but the core still stands. You make me itch.

Influx, steve's lawyer is on his way, you can kick him in the head too.
Of course Lemmings is yours, i'll give you half a point for it.

Message 55/88             04-Mar-02  @  05:27 PM   -   RE: A new

damballah

ahh, there's flat out dicks who know they're flat out dicks and flat out dicks who're clueless to their flat-out dickhood. my my.

Message 56/88             04-Mar-02  @  08:23 PM   -   RE: A new

influx

Brett

pull your head out, man. your mixes are sounding a bit brash 

Message 57/88             04-Mar-02  @  09:00 PM   -   RE: A new

knowa

and then he was like, "no what bich"?

Message 58/88             04-Mar-02  @  11:09 PM   -   RE: A new

xoxos

i'm more interested in making music for positive change than money. i love sounds. money does not reflect passion or wisdom or excellence.

Message 59/88             04-Mar-02  @  11:15 PM   -   RE: A new

influx

sure it does! brittney! backstreet! LINKIN PARK!!!!!!!!!

Message 60/88             04-Mar-02  @  11:51 PM   -   RE: A new

bedwyr

lol!

Message 61/88             05-Mar-02  @  12:42 AM   -   RE: A new

influx

oh, and DMX. Jah Rule. yeah!!!

come on, now! commercial success is certainly an indicator of validity, no?

Message 62/88             05-Mar-02  @  01:14 AM   -   RE: A new

bedwyr

i know it is, but i'm justa cock. apparently.

Message 63/88             05-Mar-02  @  02:16 AM   -   RE: A new

sitarsong

Brett, in case you didn't know, I've performed for years in the US and Europe. Was a full time musician. I've performed at Lincoln Center and the Smithsonian Institute on one of the most difficult instruments there is to play. I've performed on radio, television, with orchestras, rock bands. Played in an opera recording written and conducted by Tan Dun who later won an academy award for the music he wrote for the movie "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon". Created music for ballet and modern dance companies. I've done music for numerous commercials, was the #1 student of a world-reknowned musician. I performed in high school with the all-county, all-state, and all-nation choir as a tenor. The all-nation choir, in which I was a tenor, performed in 6 European countries representing the best young singers in the US. After studying piano from September to January in my senior year at high school my private teacher said I was already surpassing her long time student, who was at the time getting his degree as a piano major in Mannes School of Music. The teacher, a graduate of Juilliard said she wanted me to audition for Juilliard which I never did. That's pretty amazing...to be playing fugues and sonatas after 4 months of studying the piano. Yes, I did mention Orbital because they are great which I think I said. The first time I listened to a dance track was about 2 1/2 years ago. I still am not familiar with most of the genres. Synthesizers, samplers, and the whole nine yards from different kick drums, to envelopes controlling lfos to modulate filters, to writing music on a computer and mixing and everything there is to know is still very new to me. And I've been doing 40 hours a week at other jobs the whole time. In fact I bought my first computer 3 1/2 years ago and on top of everything else I'm a computer graphics specialist at Lehman Brothers, working in CorelDraw for vector and Photoshop for bitmap and can turn MS Word inside out which makes PowerPoint which I also work in look like child's play....as well as other graphics packages. I can sit down and write classically based film music that'll run circles around most of the stuff you hear, in no time flat. But I heard Orbital 2 1/2 years ago and fell in love with dance music. I have every intention of selling my tracks some day but in terms of success in the music industry, I've been there, done that. I'll be there again for sure. I'm in the learning curve and have no intention of writing tracks with the "is this going to be commercially viable" thought in mind at this point. My bigger point is there is a lot of talent around here and people at all levels of the learning curve. If your sister can give you some help that's great, but don't go putting people down because you don't quite understand where they or their music is coming from or going to. When I first started trying to learn about dance music I listened to mp3s, for the first time. I thought to myself, "Why does this music sound so crappy. Don't these people know what they're doing?". I soon learned about the quality of lofi mp3s. It was my ignorance that made me critical. There is a lot of talent AND no-talent making it big in the recording industry.

I am shooting to get to the level and beauty of what the Hartnoll brothers do. Sometimes people have heard that desire in my tracks and I am very encouraged and flattered by it. I know I have a long way to go in that, but if you're going to start a talent pissing match with me, your in way over your head amigo. I'm totally confident and tested by peers in my own musicianship, but it doesn't make me happy to see you getting down on anyone else. And it really doesn't become you. Enjoy all the styles you hear at dt. I do. I learn from everybody here and appreciate some amazing tracks I hear at dt, including yours.

Message 64/88             05-Mar-02  @  02:45 AM   -   RE: A new

influx

sitar...I think you misunderstood Mr. B. Altho he DEFINITELY, CLEARLY loves to toot his own horn, he was reacting more to people bagging on him for his clearly commercial motivations.

Brett..you can do what you like, of course, and you can write all the music you want with the basic intention of selling it, but I for one (and many others Im sure, here at DT and elsewhere) are 100& convinced that the minute you let that be your motivation (commercially "viable") the heart just falls out never to be found again

SURE you might sell some singles, or an album, or whatever, but there are plenty of us here who really couldn't care less about that aspect if it involves artistic compromise. I can say for sure that everyone would LOVE to make money doing something that comes from the heart, but i can also say that the ones that get into this sort of thing with the intention of "getting big" are the ones that stand out like a pustulating infected wound (and should subsequently be cut out and tossed away)

so there you have it. Commercialism SUCKS, plain and simple. Idont know where you truly stand but you come in here calling people "cocks" again and you probably won't be standing much longer

try some humility on for size as well, son.

sitar...that is ONE FUCKING LONG RESUME!!!!! now quit the LOOK AT ME shit;)

Message 65/88             05-Mar-02  @  02:53 AM   -   RE: A new

sitarsong

"It's funny you mention Orbital. The fact that you would equate the talent you or the likes of the rest of you cocks who needless don't respect others opinions, to being anything close to Orbital in style or skill. What a joke."

Nope. I was surprised to hear Brett say that type of thing. Had to let him know how clueless one can be judging the talents of others who are sincerely aspiring and learning....like me :P

Message 66/88             05-Mar-02  @  03:43 AM   -   RE: A new

influx

oh forgot about that part. well, the cocks statement was enough for me anyway

Message 67/88             05-Mar-02  @  03:59 AM   -   RE: A new

influx

had to go re-read, just to be sure, so:

"It's funny you mention Orbital. The fact that you would equate the talent you or the likes of the rest of you cocks who needless don't respect others opinions, to being anything close to Orbital in style or skill. What a joke."

OK, first..the cocks thing. Brett...I have this image of you in my mind, and if it is accurate you are just another geek who hasnt really done much living, and youre clearly angry about it. But calling 'us' cocks (Im sure you had yours truly in mind when you wrote that) is, well, pussy. hehe. cocks and pussy. If you werent so full of yourself (as you so obviously ARE it wouldnt be so annoying to read what you write, because you seem to have a pretty good handle on REASON )

You can sit in your bedroom studio making tracks for other people siting in there bedroom studios.

Hey..if someone enjoys doing that, good for them!

Or you can make some decent music that will get played for a real audience who is willing to pay.

on my way, baby. Puttin out a 12" this month. Might even SELL some records! But..it doesnt sound like hybrid so it's probably not good enough.

Have it your way, and keep complaining about who does or doesn't belong on the charts......because it's realy realy realy important!!!!!

No one was complaining about who 'belongs' there. I, for one, am just sick of all these fuckers modelling the commercial world, where its all about self-promotion and that sort of nonsense, and PRETENDING to be all fucking artistic about it. Smug, self important ninnys who write a page long synopsis of a fucking instrumental track.

"really , ...lemming....., That's rich! hahah"

yes. lemming. because youre constantly pushing whats "hot" out there...as if youre some groundbreaker when in reality perhaps youre more of a salesman, like the types at guitar center and sam ash who jump on the newest "tool"(toy) and claim that its the best thing since sliced bread.

and on top of all that, sitar could write you into a corner, my friend.

watch the lame name calling and you won't get shit from folks.

commercial. the word itself makes me want to retch

Message 68/88             05-Mar-02  @  05:17 AM   -   RE: A new

Brett B

Finally influx, the man i was talking too. It's hard to make a point when you have twenty tangent prone people replying. My point is that you should be above all this petty shit since you are selling records!!!!!!! that was all.
Let the amatuers be amatuers about how they promote themselves, and quit dising people because they are not as logical about arranging there songs etc. You tore one guy a new one for having a 9 minute track. Hell Orbital has a bunch of them and if that's what you are trying do then , you better get started learning how to make 9 minutes oof music that keeps you interested and surprised. There are ways to deliver constructive critisism without the humilation and abusive tone you take. People are sensative about what they create and if sucks don't just say it sucks. Give your expertise in a way a mentor would. Also quit quantifying everyone here with stereo typical definitions. You are not the Law of the land, and it's time you started showing others some respect.

As for pushing expensive gear.. What where and when? If someone says hey what can do this, i simply state what may or may not work, wether from what I read or what ever. Food for thought. as for the guys at GC etc. I condemn the way they sell a newbie stuff they don't need. It happend to me when i first started. If you see all my threads i promote cheap solutions as well. Namely standing behind Reason.

Message 69/88             05-Mar-02  @  05:25 AM   -   RE: A new

damballah

File?:  [image]

[image file]

Q: who's album are those quotes scanned from?

Message 70/88             05-Mar-02  @  05:34 AM   -   RE: A new

influx

"Also quit quantifying everyone here with stereo typical definitions"

eh?

I have yet to tell someone a track sucks. not ONCE have I said that to anyone. Sure...I give people shit all the time, for being typical followers adhering to standard modes of promotion, presentation, etc.

again, not like I'm such a groundbreaker

oh..and btw...so you were calline ME a "cock".

Message 71/88             05-Mar-02  @  10:00 AM   -   RE: A new

bedwyr

i assumed it was a blanket 'cocks', maybe a carpet bombing 'cocks'. but i'm quite happy with it being just you! ;) & when are you gonna start showing ppl some respec', huh? hehe..

so brett, who's music on here are you not taking seriously then?

d, pistols.

Message 72/88             05-Mar-02  @  01:57 PM   -   RE: A new

damballah

from zappa's first, freak out. "no commercial potential" was sort of zappa's motto. "selling records is all I'm worried about" seems to be brett's." I'm on frank's side. :P

Message 73/88             05-Mar-02  @  03:28 PM   -   RE: A new

steve

'carpet bombing cocks'

I feel strangely aroused.

but really, I just saw that knob with a face like a monkeys arse off pop idol just sold 1.1 million copies of his debut single, and its not even a particulary well-crafted piece of pop. Its fcuking horrible in fact, and thats the fastest selling single in uk pop history.

How embarassing, thats like 1 in 60 people went out and bought that (with more to come no doubt) after shamelessly having the whole thing shoved down their throats for months on primetime tv  

I guess people in general are stupid, and have not taste.

Gotta love a bit of elitism.

Message 74/88             05-Mar-02  @  05:25 PM   -   RE: A new

knowa

damn you're obnoxious brett. you don't seem to understand that for some people, music is an end in itself, regardless of commercial success or viability. that's *not lame*. I think it might even be called integrity. anyway, all I know for sure is that it makes for better company than some trying to promote his latest trance epic. sure, I hope that some film and (choreographed) dance music projects I'm working on now attract people's attention and win me great fortune, but all I really care about is that they're good, that they feel like *mine* and that I can show off a little bit to friends and family. duh, I'd love a big advance from a record company to work on music full time, but an awful lot music bores me and I'd rather work with developmentally disordered kids than track a Digweed, Rob Zombie or N'sync wannabe. no doubt. I understand that other people have very different goals and circumstances and I don't bother to tell people how generic their tracks are cuz that's probably what they're after, dj play in a little niche. more power to them, good luck. don't you understand it's exactly your attitude that people complain about when they talk about music scenes getting ruined by the majors? that whole bit about money corrupting art and culture is so goddamn cliche--aren't you even little self-conscious about calling people losers for goals other than commercial success? Music is not like stockbroking, you know, it's not like it only makes sense when there's profit involved. I wish more people would just get into making music or painting or touch football or whatever and just do they're own thing because they like doing it. if anyone was discouraged or insulted by your idiotic post, I hope they feel encouraged by everybody telling you off. you sit and your bedroom and make tracks for your friends to hear? awesome. no ever heard of you? great. wanna get famous and play for millions? best of luck. just make your music and don't be a dick and if people resent you that's their problem. damn, I don't like to insult people but you need it, kid. grow the up. your music sounds like a reason preset to me. it's well mixed and it sucks. *IMHO*

Message 75/88             05-Mar-02  @  06:02 PM   -   RE: A new

Frostbyte

tangent prone cock, that's definately me  

Message 76/88             05-Mar-02  @  07:22 PM   -   RE: A new

monkeyboy

im a big cock with a rash and a bubble of discoloured seminal fluid seeping from the japseye...no what bich? in fact i must be one of the largest cocks here cos i don't know much about making electronic music AND i do it for FUN...what a cock.

Message 77/88             05-Mar-02  @  07:45 PM   -   RE: A new

sitar

Knowa, I have to take issue with you on one point. I hate touch football. If someone's gonna play football, it should be tackle. That's when you feel life flowing through your veins.

:P

Brett's been a cool guy to see around here. I was just surprised by the disregard for other musicians. I guess things go to our heads sometimes. It's happened to me plenty. Wish we could all hug and be over it.

Message 78/88             05-Mar-02  @  10:01 PM   -   RE: A new

xoxos

that's kinda the cool thing about the industry though. at least you can tell where all the vampires are.

Message 79/88             25-Mar-02  @  02:49 AM   -   RE: A new

espoo2

Actually, Sitar, I disagree with you. . . I find Brett far from pleasant. . . although not that abnormal, I suppose.

I've been quite happy to see mostly artistic, idealistic musicians here who aren't driven by mostly commercial influences. Brett is the first that I have seen here that, in SEVERAL threads over the last few weeks, keeps saying things in relation to "commercial potential" or some such nonsense.

When I first started coming here several years ago, I was _immensely_ influenced by the voices here. . .Lucky for me, those voices were people like Caspar Project, sitar, xoxos, influx, pongoid, etc... Artists who's music people respect because of the voice and sincerity with which it is delivered (and they can all spell a hell of lot better than he can, which, as small as that is, actually makes one's thoughts alot more respectable).

Not that I would ever buy into his crap, but some may, especially when he posts so damn much. So yeah, there may be some "cocks" here, but it's because most of us have no respect for the way in which you treat your music. . . How could we? You don't seem to respect your OWN music. . . It's a prostitute for you.

Message 80/88             25-Mar-02  @  03:11 AM   -   RE: A new

influx

you had to rekindle this one, eh?

sometimes its fun to see where old arguments go 

Message 81/88             25-Mar-02  @  10:20 AM   -   RE: A new

k

Blimey! - megahead is at No.2! - congrats Megahead! - good track  

We'll be up-dating the chart-vote code soon & put a 7-day buffer on it, cos this Hyena's thing is going a BIT too far regardless of whether their tracks are good or not   - or/and we could make a simple 'click to view voting analysis' button so people could see which tracks were 'self-voters'.

Message 82/88             25-Mar-02  @  11:04 AM   -   RE: A new

Maarten

I like the sound of that last bit, pulic humiliation LOL!

Message 83/88             25-Mar-02  @  03:58 PM   -   RE: A new

damballah

PUBIC

Message 84/88             25-Mar-02  @  04:15 PM   -   RE: A new

Maarten

:O, why you... let's hope that *He* doesn't read this.  

Message 85/88             25-Mar-02  @  07:19 PM   -   RE: A new

influx

well actually HE reads everything because HE has no life

you typed PULIC, not PUBIC 

so to both of you, its PUBLIC

and..hyenas are WACK doin what they do, and I say no voting for yourself past the one time. its just fecking stupid

Message 86/88             25-Mar-02  @  07:23 PM   -   RE: A new

knowa

yeah, voting for yourself is pubic.

Message 87/88             25-Mar-02  @  07:40 PM   -   RE: A new

xoxos

geez, lay off the man here will you. he's definately wrong and often comes across like he's on some kind of 'upper' (i guess - never done those - except for taking an entire pack of no-doz at once when i was 15) but he's a good sport and i like him. a lot.

Message 88/88             25-Mar-02  @  07:54 PM   -   RE: A new

Maarten

Who's the man? I mean "Who's the man!"

Viewing all 88 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 9

There are 88 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)