aaa Untitled Breaks Track - Music tracks & feedback forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

30-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music tracks & feedback

Subject: Untitled Breaks Track

Viewing all 16 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/16             21-Mar-02  @  10:05 AM   -   Untitled Breaks Track

woxy

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Woohoo!

Please check out our first attempt at a BREAKS track. Its kind of a raggamuffin-y-party-ish-breaks stuff.

[Untitled Breaks Track] 6.25

Just a rough mix and I can already hear that the lead-line-noise-bit is too quiet.

cheers
WOXY&CHEEVER

oh and any ideas for a title let us know!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/16             22-Mar-02  @  09:10 PM   -   RE: Untitled Breaks Track

influx

Link?:  Link

just listened...have to say its a little too "icey" for me...more on the party style 2step thing, but...VERY well done!

You already have stuff out, dont you? If not, get on it. I would say youre ready

Message 3/16             23-Mar-02  @  11:10 AM   -   RE: Untitled Breaks Track

Breakerbox

yeah.. more breaks... nice ones too.
Its kind of icey... But.. Iceys tracks are not this good.
Sending demos?

Message 4/16             23-Mar-02  @  12:31 PM   -   RE: Untitled Breaks Track

bedwyr

reminds me of what jon carter used to play. cool.

Message 5/16             25-Mar-02  @  09:06 AM   -   RE: Untitled Breaks Track

woxy

cheers guys - - - i haven't heard any icey stuff - will try and find some to listen to later on - - - but then i'm not really up on the breaks&beats scene - - - it was very cool attempting to imitate a genre you don't know very much about

yep - theres a deal in the offing for this one - but not going to count my chickens until i have a test pressing in my hands.....

we did it with some breaks DJs from Bristol (Stereo8) - with them playing us current breaks records to give us an idea of what they wanted to sound like and them doing the sample trawling - - - then we spent 2 weeks throwing loops and samples at the basic beat framework to see what stuck - got them in to work out a structure then polished it off the following weekend - - all in all 3weeks from start to finish - - just needs mastering and a little tweaking then we're done i reckon

superb fun!

bring on the genre hopping!

Message 6/16             25-Mar-02  @  12:27 PM   -   RE: Untitled Breaks Track

sitar

"it was very cool attempting to imitate a genre you don't know very much about"

Tell me about it.

I'll listen a little later in the day. I have to d/l a track or 2 of Pongoid's too.

Message 7/16             26-Mar-02  @  06:01 PM   -   RE: Untitled Breaks Track

milan

cool track. i wanted to say something in defense of this breakbeat style, which has been around for ages, and has nothing to do with this new-breaks stuff but decied against it, influx would get angry and i cant stand this  

cheers, M.

Message 8/16             26-Mar-02  @  06:23 PM   -   RE: Untitled Breaks Track

knowa

twice now I'm not able to load your webpage to listen. is it me?

Message 9/16             26-Mar-02  @  07:09 PM   -   RE: Untitled Breaks Track

influx

why would I get angry?

Message 10/16             26-Mar-02  @  07:17 PM   -   RE: Untitled Breaks Track

milan

there you go! you´re oposing me!  

nah just kidding, i thought you said his track is too icey sounding, whereas you were talking about a dj or something. nevermind silly me  

Message 11/16             26-Mar-02  @  07:52 PM   -   RE: Untitled Breaks Track

influx

no..Icey as a producer

booty bass. too happy for me. that kind of stuff

again, I ALSO said that it is VERY well done. Although I just cant help but take a bit of offense at the "genre jumping" thing

I doubt I could explain it well enough for anyone to care, though

Message 12/16             27-Mar-02  @  08:26 AM   -   RE: Untitled Breaks Track

horizens

File?:  [image]

[image file]

"it was very cool attempting to imitate a genre
you don't know very much about ."

that might piss off people who are into breaks
or any genre that they feel passionate about.
maybe like someone who paints with oils for
their lifetime, a real master of that medium.
someone comes along who normally is a
sculptor and says "i just started to dabble in
oil painting by imitating what others have
done." influx and i recently had a conversation
about the difference between imitating
something as opposed to being influenced by
it.

i'm not saying it's bad to try new genres but
what is the motivation for doing it?

anyway, nice track, woxy.

Message 13/16             27-Mar-02  @  08:35 AM   -   RE: Untitled Breaks Track

bedwyr

by the look of it they're doing it with some breaks djs. i can't see anything wrong with that.

tho i have to imitate genres all the time for my work, if i wouldn't do it i'd be skint. shall we have this out in another forum?

Message 14/16             27-Mar-02  @  09:01 AM     Edit: 27-Mar-02  |  09:17 AM   -   RE: Untitled Breaks Track

horizens

File?:  [image]

[image file]

i'm not trying to have it out with anyone about it.
i'm all for trying new things, don't get me
wrong. "imitating" just sounds... er...

i'm not trying to hijack this thread. it's a good track!

i can see why maybe influx didn't chime in
here.  

Message 15/16             27-Mar-02  @  09:55 AM   -   RE: Untitled Breaks Track

woxy

snip snip..
"influx and i recently had a conversation about the difference between imitating something as opposed to being influenced by it"
snip snip..

okley dokley - - - maybe imitate wasn't a good word, although its something close to that. i sometimes think that the less you know about a genre and the musical styles and rules that have already been put in place - the better chance you have of coming up with an original sounding piece of music. i read an interview with the bloke from AIM (Grand Central recordings) who lives and records in a remote town in the NW of England where there aren't any clubs etc. and he reckons this helps his "take" on hip-hop instrumentals and downbeat grooves because he doesn't get to hear the latest production "envelope" which people closer to the heart of the scene are pushing. being far removed from material of a certain genre could make it easier to be original, almost stops you from knowing too much. does that make sense?? you could even end up helping to push the genre forward by coming up with something brand new.

the main motivation to do the track was to have a laugh with our mates and to see how we'd work with other people on board for a change. in the the end the breaks DJs brought a new slant and new ideas (er.. and lots of lager) to the production - and we all had a great time doing it.

mebbe - this would be better on a different thread - he heh!

cheers
woxy

ps. knowa - the track "untitled breaks track" is here on dancetech - click on my view user link to get to it - cheers!

Message 16/16             27-Mar-02  @  06:43 PM   -   RE: Untitled Breaks Track

influx

I really didnt mean it that...seriously.

it is a good track, no doubt, and very well produced. Y'all obviously know what youre doin 

Viewing all 16 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)