aaa so now im gonna dj???? - Live / PA / gigging forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Live / PA / gigging

Subject: so now im gonna dj????

Viewing all 18 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/18             26-Jun-02  @  04:49 AM   -   so now im gonna dj????

chroma

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

i've been kicking and clawing to get a live hw setup together for the past several months. im getting closer but now im starting to get cold feet..the scene here is kinda dead, yes dead and it seems there are more slots open in clubs for djs, not to mention its easier to bring your decks and cds out than your (my) whole studio...

also this music thing has to start bringing some money in; ive noticed less and less enthusiasm from my wife when i bring home another piece of gear...im not being about the money but you know how it goes...

im thinking i should go out get some dj gigs first so at least ill have some money to pour back into the gear...no experience but it cant be that hard, right?? im not looking to be a turntablist...

f*ckit mebbe i should just jump headfirst into the live PA thing, at least ill be among the few...

yes, hold my hand...low point here...self doubt arrgh

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/18             26-Jun-02  @  05:30 AM   -   RE: so now im gonna dj????

Pongoid

Link?: Link

Fucking Live Electronic Musicians.

The Few.
The Proud.
The F.L.E.M..

Ape

Message 3/18             26-Jun-02  @  05:47 AM   -   RE: so now im gonna dj????

Mindspawn

Nice one, Ape....=) Gave me a grin...

Message 4/18             26-Jun-02  @  06:39 AM   -   RE: so now im gonna dj????

chroma

i want it bad ape but reality is just breaking me
you know?

you're words are one of my inspirations, esp. when
you talk about jamming with electronics. im a
jammy gitar player meself and i am well aware of
the thrills and chills of that approach...

pray for me you religious sons of bitches!!! 

Message 5/18             26-Jun-02  @  06:42 PM   -   RE: so now im gonna dj????

errata

You've got to do what you want!!!

If you don't want to be a turntablist, DON'T! Besides, you really have to want to be to do it well, and it's a let down when half-assed DJ's try to spin out. Not to bring you down on it, but you should stick to what you do, and do it right!

The reason there's so few FLEM's (hehehe) is people think it's a hassle, or their not good enough. (I know too many incredible f*cking musicians working at Tower records because they lack confidence)! If you rack your gear and stop buying "keyboards" vs modules, you can set up as quickly as a DJ. If you're good, and you can play a crowd, you'll get gigs and make money (don't expect to be a rockstar any time soon).

Don't give up playing live. I can sympathise with the wife. Mine doesn't like new gear buys any more either (and I'm playing out, and buying gear on that money). !!!shrug!!!

it sounds like cheese but stay true to what you do! Don't worry about the rest, it'll take care of itself!

e

Message 6/18             27-Jun-02  @  02:49 AM   -   RE: so now im gonna dj????

chroma

thank you errata...lost my head for awhile there...yes djing half assed is not what i want...and that rockstar thing is why i dropped my band in the first place...

onwards!!!!

Message 7/18             27-Jun-02  @  03:58 AM   -   RE: so now im gonna dj????

influx

no offense, but...maybe stop buying gear altogether, and maybe SELL some?

your studio should NOT be a "collectors collection" but instead a fine tuned, slimmed down, pragmatic system with each piece hand picked for maximum functionality

if you have a bunch of shit laying around just cuz its "neat" (it is SO easy to do this with so many REALLY cool gadgets out there!) then youre being gluttonous.

so maybe your wife is justified if she is getting upset. admittedly I have NO idea about your gear buying practices. just offering a suggestion

as for the live thing...SAME exact thing...you DONT need a "WHOLE STUDIO" to do well on stage. simply not true....again...strip it down and its not such a hassle? you really only need something to play back loops, etc, a synth or two for "live" sounds, and a sequencer.

well..and some FX maybe and a mixer...but thats really about it...anything more is just show...

Message 8/18             27-Jun-02  @  11:47 AM   -   RE: so now im gonna dj????

chroma

AHAHAHAHAHAH.....ME A GEARWHORDE!!! no thats not me   i just have a couple of synths and a pc really...i'm about to take the plunge and invest in some giggable gear...but moneys tight and blablabla...hence the hesitation...anyway suffice to say that i WILL be keeping it stripped down and minimal...

Message 9/18             27-Jun-02  @  07:08 PM   -   RE: so now im gonna dj????

influx

good call. like I said...I wasnt sure. youd be surprised at the purchases people I know make

must be a US thing

I say dont bother DJing..you still gotta buy records (and due to the lameness of the whole thing, the recors 'must' be 'NEW' and 'FRESH' at all times so anything older than a month is tired. blech)

Message 10/18             28-Jun-02  @  05:18 AM   -   RE: so now im gonna dj????

chroma

hehe...i was wondering how well my black sabbath
albums were gonna go over...

Message 11/18             28-Jun-02  @  09:12 AM   -   RE: so now im gonna dj????

brentym

depends.

are you DJ'ing in Omaha? side two of Masters of Reality always kills...

just make sure you have some Nazerath to bring them back.

Message 12/18             28-Jun-02  @  11:53 AM   -   RE: so now im gonna dj????

influx

black sabbath will always rule. very little will ever have the power of those what 5 albums?

Message 13/18             29-Jun-02  @  12:51 AM   -   RE: so now im gonna dj????

Mindspawn

Masters of Reality rocks duuuuude... Children of the Grave!!! Most tasty.

Message 14/18             29-Jun-02  @  05:30 AM   -   RE: so now im gonna dj????

chroma

hey i have two of those (masters of reality)...i can do some quick cutting thing with that coughing bit...and etc etc etc

Message 15/18             01-Jul-02  @  02:10 AM   -   RE: so now im gonna dj????

influx

cool, huh?

Message 16/18             01-Jul-02  @  06:06 PM   -   RE: so now im gonna dj????

Mindspawn

You are one... unusual person, herr Influx.... Must be why I like you so much...=)

Message 17/18             01-Jul-02  @  06:46 PM   -   RE: so now im gonna dj????

milan

and i thought wow this is unusuall  

nice welcome for me after being away for a few days!

cheers all, M.

Message 18/18             01-Jul-02  @  09:36 PM   -   RE: so now im gonna dj????

influx

I want to know who else caught it!

Viewing all 18 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 18 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot