aaa That Old skool breakz sound. - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: That Old skool breakz sound.

Viewing all 18 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/18             01-Sep-02  @  03:26 PM   -   That Old skool breakz sound.

BJT

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Wondering if someone could enlighten me.

In alot of oldskool trax, how do they make the breakz have such awesome bottom end.

A good example is "Origin Unknown - Valley of the Shadows".

Particularly how do they make the Base Drum 'woosh' so well. Basically how do they get that deep woosh sound. I cannot emulate it.
Its not really prevalent in much newer breaks, which makes me think that its some old analog audio trick, (using special compressors or something). It is also appears in some house choons, but I suspect they take it from sample cd's.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/18             01-Sep-02  @  06:27 PM   -   RE: That Old skool breakz sound.

bedwyr

Link?:  Link

hehe, no idea, but i'm tickled by the "breaks people do it properly, house bods just use a sample cd" thing.  

Message 3/18             01-Sep-02  @  08:52 PM   -   RE: That Old skool breakz sound.

Pongoid

Link?: Link

that's the spirit of respect!!!

Oh it was just some sample. Why not do some more research and find out what really made it? That "oh just some sample, I dunno" shit is kind of a lack of respect towards whoever made a sound sufficiently worthy of your interest to want to sample and use, or a technique you'd like to know how to emulate, perhaps in a different context don't you think?

Ape

Message 4/18             01-Sep-02  @  11:55 PM   -   RE: That Old skool breakz sound.

brett

i have found that using magneto on individual tracks or a drum sub mix is good for crunching like old vinyl beats. I'll have a listen to that track if I can find it. I do love it when I am listening to some old song and I here a sample from a new one like plump dj's or the like and I like holy shite! that is where that's from. definately gotta give credit to the old school. but some of these sounds go back to old breaks, whick in turn took the sample from an even oplder track. remember they didn't have all the copyright laws in place until the 90's so everything back in the late eighties and even the early 90's was full of lifted material.

Message 5/18             02-Sep-02  @  03:43 AM   -   RE: That Old skool breakz sound.

Brett

i listend to it. they are doing something with the envelop reversed , or the entire bassline has been reversed. you can delay the envelop so it opens up creating the waaah sound of it, but this actually sounds like it's going backwards. you could do it by sequencing it out, reversing the midi and then recording the audio, then reversing that.

Message 6/18             02-Sep-02  @  05:04 PM   -   RE: That Old skool breakz sound.

BJT

Sorry, herez a caption of what I'm on about. I've heard similar sounds in other old choons but not as prominant.

Message 7/18             02-Sep-02  @  05:08 PM   -   RE: That Old skool breakz sound.

BJT

File?: [audio]

31seconds.rm

Umm..okay here.

Message 8/18             02-Sep-02  @  08:24 PM   -   RE: That Old skool breakz sound.

BJT

File?: [audio]

thathousetrack.rm

Okay well heres an example of a house track that smaple breaks instead of keeping it real.

Message 9/18             03-Sep-02  @  03:26 PM   -   RE: That Old skool breakz sound.

BJT

Message 10/18             06-Sep-02  @  02:25 AM   -   RE: That Old skool breakz sound.

Brett

don't use realplayer.

Message 11/18             06-Sep-02  @  01:45 PM   -   RE: That Old skool breakz sound.

BJT

Ah too bad you missed out on an awesome gag.

Message 12/18             07-Sep-02  @  02:18 PM   -   RE: That Old skool breakz sound.

xoxos

"how do they make the breakz have such awesome bottom end."

they run it thru realplayer  

Message 13/18             07-Sep-02  @  09:34 PM   -   RE: That Old skool breakz sound.

Pongoid

12 bit sound. E-mu sp 1200/emax, or Sequential Studio 440, recorded to analog tape back in the day.

Ape

Message 14/18             24-Sep-02  @  08:21 PM   -   RE: That Old skool breakz sound.

mickeyfinn6

Help Im Looking 4 HappyHardcore\JumpUp Drum,Bass\Rave Ect ! For downloading ! ANY HELP GREATFULLY Received ! The Kermster  

Message 15/18             18-Oct-02  @  02:49 AM   -   RE: That Old skool breakz sound.

Simon de Fop

Happy Hardcore/jump up/Bass/Rave etc?

Are you somebodies dad trying to be cool and down
with the kiddies, yo?

Message 16/18             18-Oct-02  @  04:15 AM   -   RE: That Old skool breakz sound.

influx

you forgot melodic trance and psy trance and goa!

Message 17/18             18-Oct-02  @  06:04 PM   -   RE: That Old skool breakz sound.

Simon de Fop

And funky desert breakz, yo.

werd.

Message 18/18             19-Oct-02  @  04:49 AM   -   RE: That Old skool breakz sound.

JX3P0

Link?:  Link

chuckle,chuckle.Sounds like a bad bean to
me.

H

Viewing all 18 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 18 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)