aaa why i am happy about the elections - The lounge forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: why i am happy about the elections

Viewing all 122 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13

Original Message 1/122             06-Nov-02  @  01:21 PM   -   why i am happy about the elections

formant

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

this probably fits into the category K doesn't want posted here.

so fair warning... if you are offended by the topic of abortion quit reading. and take this point: i am not telling you what to believe, i am telling you what i believe so take it for what it is, an opinion.

ok i think that the republicans gaining control of the senate is the absolute most important thing to ever happen in the past 30 years.

this means that bush gets to appoint judges without having them blocked left and right. so just as clinton did before him, bush can put people into positions of power who are anti-abortion.

i think that abortion is the biggest travesty against human life in america since slavery.

just as the white slave owners of the blacks said that they were not human and thereby justified thier actions in pursuit of wealth i see the same thing happening today.

then it was 'these slaves are not humans therefore to gain wealth and happiness we will abuse them and do as we please with them... since they are not humans they have no rights'

today i see people saying the same thing:

'it doesn't matter that i have created a baby because it isn't a human being. i need to go to college/work/whatever so that i can be happy and prosperous. i will therefore do what i like with this nonhuman so that i can persue wealth and an easy life unhindered'

what exactly is the difference between the slave owners and the current people who choose to take human life in order to serve themselves?

i believe that *should* roe v wade get overturned in this country it will be a great stride forward for all humanity.

extremely inflammatory comment here: if bush gets abortion outlawed or at a minimum pushed back to a states right to choose america will be standing in defense of the helpless and needy.

i am aware many do not agree with me but that is fine. many people were against lincoln when he tried to abolish slavery, afterall they weren't humans.

you guys can slam me if you want (used to it) but this has to be the most important civil rights issue since the MLK days and it affects people of all colors and nationalities indiscriminately.

i hope that justice comes for the innocent lives that are lost every day in the name of greed and selfishness.

jamey

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/122             06-Nov-02  @  02:18 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

Maarten

Link?: Link

Hmmm yeah, put more people onto this horrible planet... better yet, also make sure they arrive and make a left to the 'unwanted' area. If they're really lucky, that 14 year-old mother can't even take care of the child... well, enough examples for things to follow then eh?

ta

Message 3/122             06-Nov-02  @  02:27 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

bedwyr

again, making things illegal doesn't stop them from happening.

Message 4/122             06-Nov-02  @  02:28 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

cheddar

This sounds religous

Bush and embryo research..!

Wakey wakey middle America

Message 5/122             06-Nov-02  @  02:58 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

Zazza

Link?:  No link

George Bush pregnant shock.

Message 6/122             06-Nov-02  @  03:11 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

Maarten

G.Bush sr. should have considered if you ask me...

Message 7/122             06-Nov-02  @  03:12 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

Maarten

or is that over-board? (prepares for spanking)

Message 8/122             06-Nov-02  @  03:15 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

Zazza

formant: a serious question, what about rape victims?

Message 9/122             06-Nov-02  @  03:41 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

milan

formant: who gives a shit what you think? your proclamations are boring and monotonous and predictable. you are not even looking for a discussion anymore but simply "presenting your oppinions" as if you dont know what that will provoke. furthermore, you are going strictly against what kilo asked you not to do just a short while ago and abusing his hospitality.

and about your topic: great, excellent all the better- your country will be in worse shape than ever with bunch of single mothers on welfare. even better, when you see their fatherless children on the street you can shout "BASTARD!" at them and abuse their mothers too for having children outside of "holy matrimony". woohoo!

(breaking my longish streak of noninvolvement here, sadly)

Message 10/122             06-Nov-02  @  03:49 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

steef

jamey's allowed to air his opinion just like
everbody else is.

difficult subject, but what bedwyr said.

Message 11/122             06-Nov-02  @  03:54 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

Zazza

o yeah, George sr. needs some stem cells for his brain right? Suddenly George jr. is changing his tack on embryo research.. mmm.. self-interest, you gotta love it..

Message 12/122             06-Nov-02  @  03:58 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

formant

i would be happy if only partial birth is banned...

anything after that is wonderful.

i would imagine that if there were provisions for rape and injury to the mother it would gain wide popular support.

and its not like the coat hanger arguments hold any longer. people would just go onto ebay and buy abortion pills from france and take care of it at home like the doctors try and get them to do now anyway.

the purpose of this thread wasn't to say that i was anti abortion. it was to compare abortion to slavery and make people think about whether they truely value life.

jamey

Message 13/122             06-Nov-02  @  04:11 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

Steve Webster

My god Formant. This is totally wrong of you. Your a male right? It is easy for us men. Remember that my friend.

Message 14/122             06-Nov-02  @  04:12 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

Maarten

I truely can't see the resemblance in your comparison... try a different one. I highly value my life but at the same time am frightened by the way society is morphing into some scary science-fiction B-movie. And if you're comparing upright walking slaves to a foetus with a hand-full of braincells... I'm sorry, then there's no intellectual discussion to be had with you. just my 2c

Message 15/122             06-Nov-02  @  05:14 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

d

nah, maarten, that wasn't over the top. during
vietnam, in the play "hair" they had a banner
that read "Nixon, pull out like your father
should have."

I really applaud these conservative SOBs in
their defense of freedom. the freedom to
screw workers for the benefit of shareholders.
freedom to rape the environment in the name
of profit. freedom to pick any flavor of
christianity that suits you. if we have to give up
a little freedom of what we say, what we can
watch or read, what we ingest, what we do in
the privacy of our own bedroom, what we do
with our bodies, well that's a small price to
pay, isn't it.

Message 16/122             06-Nov-02  @  05:29 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

formant

yah but you guys attacking me personally or attacking the other ideas that conservatives hold hve nothing to do with the issue at hand.

you cannot look at the issue from a scientific viewpoint and come away with the idea that babies in the womb are anything less than that.

in addition my being male has nothing to do whether abortion is right or wrong. the only reason it is legal in this country is because of a judicial decision, it is not because people in this country voted for it. therefore i think it is completely fair if the same judicial system that birthed it is the one to do away with it. since it wasn't voted on by the population in any way shape or form.

its funny that the people who get upset about beating baby seals or making sure pigs graze the right way are normally pro-abortion.

i will reinterate teh point that you cannot look at the scientific facts around this issue and come away with any view but the one that says these children/babies need to have thier rights protected.

if vegetarians and anti-death penalty people were fully consistant they would be anti-abortion as well.

jamey

Message 17/122             06-Nov-02  @  05:35 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

d

pro-abortion implies that one thinks every
pregnant girl should be strapped down and
vacuumed out. pro-choice means it's her
decision and not yours, you anti-choice twit.

Message 18/122             06-Nov-02  @  05:52 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

Zazza

formant: at what point does life begin?

Is the freshly fertilised egg alive?

Is a sperm alive?

Is contraception ok by you?

Under what circumstances would you judge that abortion should be permissible?

Message 19/122             06-Nov-02  @  06:46 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

influx

you know whats really funny though? If people would just be a little more fucking responsible about things...

you dont HAVE TO get pregnant. its actually really quite difficult to do, and a lot easier to NOT let it happen

just "pulling out" doesnt work. but..the pill is readily available, rubbers are cheap, OR....one of the simplest things:

only requires a calendar. Girl learns how her period works, and TOTALLY AVOIDS having sex for the 4 days around the middle of the cycle...

its that simple.

Im sorry but "mistake" pregnancies are bullshit. Like so many fuckups in this world it comes down to a lack of responsibility.

Gotta say Jamey...I agree that it is LIFE but I am horribly alarmed that youre so happy about the racist right wing fascists who are now in power.

and...its actually pretty fucking infuriating...you and GT both...you do this shit intentionally, and you both sit on your high horses as if youve got it all figured out. really, man. that is how it looks. You and he both with your "conservative" proclamations "yeah I know Im being inflammatory but Im gonna do it anyway because god is on our side and we know whats best for you and everyone else."

hate to say it, man, but the more I read from you too the more it chaps my hide.

look for things to get VERY bad soon

Message 20/122             06-Nov-02  @  07:45 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

Zazza

I've found it virtually impossible to get pregnant... despite serious tryage...

seriously it isn't difficult is it? Once is enough no?

Message 21/122             06-Nov-02  @  08:07 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

formant

thats fine influx i understand... i wouldn't have even posted this except i know we will all be talking about it anyway in the next year once bush starts appointing judges.

jamey

Message 22/122             06-Nov-02  @  08:13 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

Mindspawn

One can always get themselves fixed.... A few days of discomfort for a lifetime's worth of less stress. Works for me...

As for abortion. You're not a woman, so fuck you, Jamey. Simply fuck you.

Ya see that's about as much room for positive debate as you leave everyone else.

Message 23/122             06-Nov-02  @  08:22 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

GT

influx, umm, i'm NOT into THIS drivel, so don't drag me into it, got it?

this is not the sort of thing that should be posted

Message 24/122             06-Nov-02  @  08:43 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

xoxos

milan's totally right, jamey, you might be friendly, but the only reason you put this up* was for a gratuitous thrill* (know it or not) aah, to feel alive again (* suggestive wording of last sentence intentional o. c.)

and besides, if you outlaw abortion, i'll have to be *extra* busy telling everyone how to use pennyroyal, in the good fucking tradition of my people that your kind have forbidden, and that's something you'd not like to see!

let's start now: chaps, is your bit of mint a bit late? well pin her down and flush her out with 409. that didn't work? pennyroyal. don't try it after say the 8 month mark.. pennyroyal = slightly toxic mint. brings on the bleed. used for millennia to ease the montlies, can be used to similarly bring on a miscarriage, ergo no mo lil guy, no fuss, no muss.

it can also be *somewhat* reliably used as birth control. ime less reliably depending on volition of your incubator unit.

Message 25/122             06-Nov-02  @  08:46 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

influx

zazza...point is...theres a VERY short window in the cycle where a woman can get pregnant. I think its 3 days..maybe 4.

if people just planned around this...less unwanted pregnancies

Hey GT...sorry man  sometimes I think you two are the same. Didnt realize you would disagree on this one. my bad.

Message 26/122             06-Nov-02  @  09:13 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

xoxos

O i forgot.. just make a tea out of it (a teacage might be a kind purchase)

Message 27/122             06-Nov-02  @  09:20 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

errata

hehehe... when I saw the name of the thread I thought, "Jamey". If the thread is about abortion and whether it's moral or not why didn't you call it that? It's no wonder "everyone" attacked conservative thinking, that's what you applauded!

It's typical of conservatives (do you guys all go to the same "conservative" training seminars?) to pretend to intellectualize moral discussions. You can't have an intelligent, reasoned debate over something measured on morality. Like arguing whether god exists or what's beyond the edge of our expanding universe. Sigh. Point is, for me... there's no such thing as a black and white issue. And it's my take that those who can't see a grey scale between the dichotomies they create are being intellectualy lazy or stupid or both. That's not name calling... if you fit it, I'm sorry for you.

Why I'm sorry the elections went the way they did:

Now our unreasonable, uncompassionate and unconstitutional administration has managed to weaken the useless democrats so greatly that the people of conscience on both the west and east coast are not voting at all! 40 f*cking percent of the electorate showed up last night. That's not a mandate! 60% of the people who are entitled to vote in our nation voted none of the above... there's only so long these tired weak minded hating little self interested political hacks can get away with this before the constitutional checks and balances becomes a complete laughing stock! Our nation looks more and more like a veiled "former Soviet Union" everyday! And with this election it's not getting any better!

My apologies go out to those of you living in other nations. I live in a republic, and if our system worked as it should I probably could have done more to rally 3rd party voters. Now, because those of us in this country who see the truth of it's illness were inactive, your nations will be directly effected by the xenophobic loud mouth, brash and uncaring edge of our political minority. All puffed up with it's own self importance and hungry to satiate it's gluttony the beast of the US is about to descend!

sorry

e

Message 28/122             06-Nov-02  @  09:34 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

xoxos

"Hey GT...sorry man sometimes I think you two are the same. Didnt realize you would disagree on this one. my bad."

influx, influx! i'm sorry i yelled at you over there, so this will go over great, but get your head together, man! gt doesn't this or that, if you expected him to be the other way, he'd flip on you just to make you see how wrong and assuming you really were. he's like an eliza/dr. sbaitso of lies, everything he says is based on present statements. don't listen, turn away! he'll fuck you up!

Message 29/122             06-Nov-02  @  09:36 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

influx

ahahahahahahahahhaha

WATCH OUT FOR GT! He'll BRAINWASH you and turn you into a conservative christian!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Message 30/122             06-Nov-02  @  09:48 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

xoxos

whoops there goes another rubber tree plant

Message 31/122             06-Nov-02  @  09:48 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

formant

so there is not a single person on here who thinks that a fetus (as you call them) has rights that superscede the mother aside from me?

and no one on here seems to care that abortion was legalized through a non-populace method even though you guys keep talking about mandates etc?

i can't win.

if i want to talk about one topic, i can't because everyone brings up the 50+ other topics about conservatives you don't like

then when i say 'hey lets stick to one topic' i am accused of 'applauding conservatism'

2 simple things i want people to consider on this:

1) that *if* fetus are humans then a travesty far worse than slavery is occuring legally

2) that you will be talking about this topic in the next two years as bush appoints judges.

i also thought it might spark an interesting debate about why our judicial system is allowed to do things that normally take a 2/3 vote of the american population....

and its also ironic that the same system that usurped the will of the people (2/3 were not for abortion rights in 1973 and probably are not now either) will again usurp the will of at least some of you in some way shape or form soon.

attacks against me if i am religious or conservative or athiest or liberal don't do anything to address the issue at hand, its me saying 'this is bad' and you saying 'you are stupid'

i may be stupid but you haven't addressed the 'this is bad' part

gonna leave this thread now, its not worth getting the entire community pissed off over. k you can trash this thread if you like to save everyone from my crap

jamey

Message 32/122             06-Nov-02  @  09:52 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

influx

"i also thought it might spark an interesting debate about why our judicial system is allowed to do things that normally take a 2/3 vote of the american population.... "

this is a good point.

and...I for one agree that a fetus is a life. Hell...sperm is a MILLION lives, innit?

I just dont think it should be made illegal...

but its one TOUCHY subject

Message 33/122             06-Nov-02  @  09:54 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

JX3P0

More like a whole forest.So which church is it
that you work for?Here chew on this a
bit.Jesus is a fictional character in a really
stupid,violent,woman bashing story.Fuck
him,Fuck Christians and Fuck You!

H- I piss on Jesus

Message 34/122             06-Nov-02  @  09:57 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

JX3P0

My dog pisses on bushes

Message 35/122             06-Nov-02  @  10:11 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

Mindspawn

Actually H, Jesus of Nazreth is a bona-fied historical character... So is, Ghengis Khan....

Anyway, Dude, Jamey, yeah, it's all life. It simply depends on how far you want to take that argument. Some buddists would think you're a butcher because you step on bugs, grass, etc., it's all perspective.

I dunna care about whether the fetus has "rights" becuase that's all constructed BS. For that matter, I don't care if we're talking a fully born 30 year old, if they muck up the flow of things, they can be eliminated. Harsh? Not really.

You drive a car? You and millions of other americans, yes? You're fugging killing me and most forms of oxygen breathing creatures, all in the name of getting where you're going a bit faster. Yet if I light up a smoke in public, I'm a fugging pariah.... In my lifetime, if I smoked three packs a day, I couldn't generate as much toxic shit as a car does in one hour...

So, should I be outraged that you're killing me just cos you wanna get places quicker?

So, you get the anti-choice people to stop driving cars, I listen to your abortion woes. Otherwise, there's really nothing to say, eh?

Message 36/122             06-Nov-02  @  10:18 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

xoxos

one day, for most of you, when you're very, very, VERY old, you're going to see yourselves as i see you now.

Message 37/122             06-Nov-02  @  10:59 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

Zazza

formant you din't answer my questions.. shame on you..

Message 38/122             06-Nov-02  @  11:35 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

JX3P0

as simple vectors i presume.

H - Not just being anymore,couldn't stand it
plus it was foreign to my gene
sequence.seen.

Message 39/122             07-Nov-02  @  08:39 AM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

psylichon

"i can't win." - no you can't, not on DT at least.

I know this sounds condescending, and I'm not old-skool or wise or anything like that, but I've never been so disappointed in the people of DT than I have been reading the responses to this thread. Barely no one came close to even the concept of a debate, and it's obvious that no one took 2 fucking seconds to think about what Jamey's saying here. "the topic wasn't stated right, he's obviously trolling, he thinks he's better than us so why bother, he and all of his right-wing buddies are assholes who are killing the world so FUCK THEM ALL AND I HOPE THEY DIE!!!!" I mean, FUCK PEOPLE, do you READ what you write?

We all say we keep an open mind, but i heard a bunch of shutting doors in this one here...

I'm too tired to try and formulate my opinion here, because it's so complicated. Honest, I'll give it a go tomorrow. I mean, this is at the top of the grey-area list. It deals with new lives vs. the old lives that create them, and it don't get much harder than that. You can't just say Jamey's wrong. You're just as wrong! To call Jamey names and attack his beliefs just because he sanctifies an unborn baby's life is simply barbaric and crude. Fuckin' grow up people.

psylichon

wow, I'm really put off... bummer... shoulda read this one first and moved onto happier stuff. Jamey, don't give up. Just respond to my posts and I promise I'll have an actual conversation with you.

Message 40/122             07-Nov-02  @  09:21 AM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

influx

sorry but Im not ashamed of my response cuz I hardly said anything (except a sweeping generalization about conservatives)...and...going back and reading what formant wrote..its really not that inflammatory

what IS is the part about being GLAD abortion might be made illegal.

its that damn belief that LAWS solve things again. Bad news when people keep that belief. Its been proven time and again to be completely untrue.

but...Sorry formant...you werent given a fair shake. Next time maybe drop the "I dont care what you think" and people might just tell you what they think?

dunno.

Im not on the "fuck all christians" side either. Some people who claim to be tolerant are pretty vehement on that one...

altho..your views...you remind me of my mom in some ways...I still dig her but we clash all the time...

Psylichon is right tho...quite a few HUGE leaps made...but it seems as tho formant's wording hit a few switches?

Message 41/122             07-Nov-02  @  10:03 AM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

psylichon

influx, thanks for seeing through it all, man. I just want to point out, though, that I did a search in this thread for the phrase "I don't care what you think" and the only person who said it was you. I did find this from formant, though:

"so fair warning... if you are offended by the topic of abortion quit reading. and take this point: i am not telling you what to believe, i am telling you what i believe so take it for what it is, an opinion."

Man, that's pretty damned clear.

I just point this out because it's SO easy to misinterpret tone in people's online posts. little yellow smileys and their variants are basically our only tools to emote in the electron world. And (being E-honest here without the E) I see you doing more tone-interpreting than anyone on here. I think we all do it, and it affects our responses heavily, it's just you actually type it out and shit!  

heheh... it's fun to talk about this stuff. Even when it gets ugly. you guys probably hate me for laughing through all this....

psylichon

Message 42/122             07-Nov-02  @  10:14 AM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

Zazza

well, i'm trying to have a debate but formant doesn't answer my questions, so what the..

This a really tricky topic, one that deserves to be treated with respect.. because it's an ethical minefield..

which i why i was asking questions.. to whit:

'formant: at what point does life begin?

Is the freshly fertilised egg alive?

Is a sperm alive?

Is contraception ok by you?

Under what circumstances would you judge that abortion should be permissible?
'

Message 43/122             07-Nov-02  @  10:15 AM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

Zazza

my biggest problem is telling some woman i dont even know what the hell she should do...

My feeling would be to place a time limit, and only allow abortion before the feotus has formed a nervous system, but im no expert..

Message 44/122             07-Nov-02  @  10:57 AM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

cheddar

creation of rights is an acknowledgment of care, Rights for legislation to protect... whatever. I could get pissed and talk about national left handed day but just diversions - diversions from actualy caring. How much caring is done personal and public. You are caring in public Jamey but does this discharge 'the duty of care'? I don't know, possibly you don't know (any kids Jamey?)

Other stuff

Is this the same America who's corporations fund covert sterilization of 3rd world countries..? WHAT

ivf and a million million sperm rather allows genocide, what is it Monty Python say about every single sperm?

Man this could be protecting tomorrows market - "need another baby boomer generation". Mussolini had a line on that. Catholisism in republicanism (thats funny)

F - "worse than slavery" crap - don't confuse quantity with quality. (But 'The Socialism' says "enough data becomes quality data - eh?)

Subjugation of women with this legislation..?

I think that there could be a flaw in the US service model. You can have all you want but you will be protected from damaging the rihghts of the defenceless, "Who are the defenceless this week Martin?", "the blue rinses say unborn infants David", "Cheers Martin", "have a nice day David" ..."Yes! the unborn need protecting from the damaging, have all you can have whatever colour, 24 hour drive through be all you can be ethos" " ...asside to Polynesian PA "We need to get legal on a better definition of life, the Chinese and Europeans are going to corner the market on stem cells".

choice, choice, choice. If we have tech to live longer and are living longer, we have protected the buying power of the next baby boomer generation and we are clearing the human forrest in the 3rd world so we have somewhere for them to build their condo poolside complexes (once they get the mud huts and the animals out of the way

Anyway, flame or no flame - Bush is in charge, Bullshit continues to sell (sighs with e) - maybe thats why the happy - less to do with foetus/slavery..? Sorry that's a bit heavy but I am soo dissapointed, no wait, I don't give a

Message 45/122             07-Nov-02  @  11:24 AM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

k

no I'm not going to argue with that formant, I don't neccesarily agree, but it's your valid opinion.

The worst thing about abortion is they dont tell you the psychological consequences for the parties involved. Suddenly every time you turn on Tv there is some refference to babies or birth, you wouldn't beleive how much, and it eats right into you if you're not careful. Also most couples bust up who do that which they also dont tell you.

The councilling side of it is total shit and it's become more like a factory-farm business which I must say i dont agree with. I think if councilled right and told the truth about the consequences MOST people wouldn't do it.

Message 46/122             07-Nov-02  @  11:54 AM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

xoxos

p - there are some things you don't debate.

are you fucking yourself? you want to debate abortion with a christian? what are you hoping to accomplish? i mean really - what are the tangible fruits, results, of this exercise???? shit, i've got a bag of rice you can have a discussion about particle physics with if you like.

Message 47/122             07-Nov-02  @  01:24 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

Zazza

lets have a mass debate!

Message 48/122             07-Nov-02  @  01:37 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

BJT

Cheddar raises an amazingly good point.

How can Bush be anti-abortion yet support embroynic research, man the irony is too intense, I have to sit outside for a bit.

Message 49/122             07-Nov-02  @  01:58 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

cheddar

I think the covert sterilization of the 3rd world is much more important and zero's any pro vote

Message 50/122             07-Nov-02  @  02:20 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

Zazza

he only supports research using 'existing' stem cell lines.. i.e. ones that are held as a patent by a US university and don't involve any more abotions i think..

Message 51/122             07-Nov-02  @  02:29 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

cheddar

Re. the stem cell debate - to be fair Bush is caught between the blue rinses being all 'sanctity of life' and the amazingly profitable biotech sector screaming not to be handcuffed when there are major profits out there.

Really, someone come back to me on Ford covertly sterilizing 3rd world women. WTF. Why. What benefit for the average Ford customer? No observable benefit so i figure it is gov sanctioned - in which case this is pure humbug, wind to fill the pastel shaded sails of butterfly minded voters who don't give a (automatically removed word here) about anything except their "complete this weeks sanctity theme here" -

Sorry Jamey, I am happy that you are happy and I am more happy that I don't live in the US, but then I am more unhappy than you can possibly conceive that your fat TV remote population has licensed a warmonger to tear and divide in the world where I live - but don't worry sweet concerned Jamey, Bush's daddy made sure that "Changing the US lifestyle is not on the table"

Message 52/122             07-Nov-02  @  02:52 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

99devils

Jamey said:
so there is not a single person on here who thinks that a fetus (as you call them) has rights that superscede the mother aside from me?

and no one on here seems to care that abortion was legalized through a non-populace method even though you guys keep talking about mandates etc?

----------------

Make sure you don't suck your chair up your ass, but...

I agree on these points, believe it or not.

-Craig

Message 53/122             07-Nov-02  @  04:51 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

d

while a fertilized egg is alive, it isn't a person. I
don't believe fetuses attain personhood until
they develop nervous systems and would be
viable outside the womb, and I'm not talking
about requiring extraordinary cutting-edge
medical science. they're potential people, not
people.

of course, let's not bring up the story of the
college girlfriend that dubya got pregnant and
arranged an abortion for in 1970, pre-Roe v.
Wade, when abortions were illegal. the rules
are different for the rich and powerful.

Message 54/122             07-Nov-02  @  05:10 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

hypocrite

yes..you'd be amazed. seriousel y

Message 55/122             07-Nov-02  @  05:16 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

Zazza

George w bush, champion of all that is moral and right arranged an ABORTION for his girlfriend???

Ford is sterilising women? Where, when?

o, what a sick world..

Message 56/122             07-Nov-02  @  05:41 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

errata

Funny, being taken to task for not engaging in a "debate" that can have no result! He did name the forum incorrectly, not a big deal, but he was whinning about no one taking up the abortion conversation.

Having an open mind does not mean changing it regularly. I feel this is a discussion that CANNOT go any where. It is a moral argument! How can you argue about morality? I think for most people the abortion issue comes down to when is life viable...

Is the possibility of life equal to the definition? My answer is yes! But I also think that the possibility of anything is equal to it's definition... (open minded?) so I feel that the abortion issue is a grey water issue, those who see it in black and white cannot have a reasoned discussion on the subject, from my point of view!

e

Message 57/122             07-Nov-02  @  05:59 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

psylichon

well you guys just don't understand the point of debate then. We're not changing anything by talking here, including other people's minds. But walking around day after day with only one idea of how things should be is bad for your damn health. Debate is the opportunity to, perhaps, learn something or at least see something from a point of view other than your own. It may not change your stance on an issue, but it may show you how to be more tolerant towards others who don't share your opinion (now that you can see where they're coming from)

you just have to give it a chance. and don't be so anti-christian, it's really rude and ignorant especially becuase they have so few numbers on here. respect.

psylichon

Message 58/122             07-Nov-02  @  06:17 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

psylichon

a couple other things to consider:

who here believes in a soul? if you do, when and from where do you think that comes about?

personal responsibility: we love talking about it. doesn't it apply to the mother? taking responsibility for one's actions? if given an out for consequences, responsibility perhaps can never take hold.

personally, I call myself pro-choice because I don't think this kind of thing can be legislated much like any moral issue. i couldn't tell a woman, even my own wife, what she can and can't do to her body. i would much prefer people have open honest discussions about abortion much like we're doing here and reach the conclusion that it's wrong on their own. idealist epitomized, i know, but that's the only way it would work I think.

basically, i think it's easy to justify legal abortion with a number of economic, political, and social data. philosophically and viscerally however, I hope that most of us would disagree with taking an unborn life and wouldn't do it if we were in that position. agreed?

psylichon

Message 59/122             07-Nov-02  @  06:19 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

formant

heh heh i love that song 'every sperm is sacred' and now it will be in my head for three days :-)

zazza i am not ignoring you... you can zap an email at me formant@bellsouth.net and i promise not to try and convert you but will answer your questions. the quick summary is i am not as consistant as catholics are on this topic but i would be thinking anything that limits abortions even if its something small like banning partial birth abortions is a step in the right direction.

yes i have kids, another one due soon. i have also lost a child at 4.5 months pregnant and grieved every bit as much as if i had lost one of my first kids. no i am not catholic but yes i am trying to outbreed you lot!!! :-)

everyone think about what kilo wrote, now imagine i had posted it instead of him. most here would have had a different response.

jamey

Message 60/122             07-Nov-02  @  06:22 PM     Edit: 07-Nov-02  |  06:23 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

Zazza

formant: why can't you just answer questions here?

You are welcome to try and convert me though 

Always up for a giggle.  

Message 61/122             07-Nov-02  @  06:33 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

formant

cuz i am honestly not up to debating 40 people at once...

jamey

Message 62/122             07-Nov-02  @  06:53 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

k

hey - I already replied above - My take on it is it's down to education as usual, the LAST thing any rampant capitalist society wants to fund. They prefer arueing and fighting and trying to get someone else to pay for the danmage afterwards.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 63/122             07-Nov-02  @  07:34 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

bedwyr

then why the hell did you post this in the first place jamey?

Message 64/122             07-Nov-02  @  08:04 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

formant

i was up to it prior to the ass kicking i was given... now it just doesn't seem worth the effort...

jamey

Message 65/122             07-Nov-02  @  08:25 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

nomad

http://www.silentscream.org/silent_e.htm

i think if we are going to talk about it, we should know a little about what it is. that is a description of abortion by bernard nathanson, one of the founders of NARAL and who ran the largest abortion clinic in the country for two years. he is now a pro-life advocate.

Message 66/122             07-Nov-02  @  08:46 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

errata

That's not the point of this debate...

His coments are loaded and aimed at eliciting responses from the rest of us that he has predetermined answers for.

There's no closed mindedness here on my part. Just a general weariness... sorry.

e

Message 67/122             07-Nov-02  @  08:50 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

bedwyr

it never is worth debating online with so many people, imo. there's no moderation and it always ends up in a big slanging match where not much is resolved. except some people resolving never to get involved in these sort of things again.  

Message 68/122             07-Nov-02  @  08:59 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

Mindspawn

psylichon, you're right. My apologies to you and jamey, and anyone else for "going off" without justification.

As for belief in the "soul," seems like a construct. I dunno. As to what I believe about the soul, I don't. I figure we're born, we live, we die, we rot. What we have is right here, right now. If you spend all your time acting in xyz way for the purpose of a better afterlife, you might just miss your one opportunity... you might not. I've never been dead so I couldna say.

I do think at the moment of death, our brains do everything they can to help us deal with it, namely conjuring up our best memeories and fantasies, so that when we go into the void, that last instant, which becomes our eternity, we go where we want based on what we believe and what means the most to us... So those that believe in heaven, assume they'll be with their families, etc., that's what happens for the them and so on. It allows for all religions, creeds, or lack thereof....

Just a couple of pesos from the tentacled one....

Message 69/122             07-Nov-02  @  10:18 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

Ghost

...or it also could be that we never die. we can't experience our own death, so we can never die.

consciousness, like the energy in the universe, is preserved.... our presence in the universe becomes less "likely" as we live out our lives... so as we live, we experience a universe that is less and less likely for us to be in it.... so, take that to the extreme future and what do you get? very, very "unlikely" and bizarre universes where we still continue to exist....

what does this look like to me, the observer? a universe that gets progressively weirder and weirder, but with me still in it somehow, some way....

one possible scenario is that I may die physically one day, only to be be reawakened by an alien race at a far future date to serve as a slave, or as food for their young... this event, though extremely unlikely, must take place since it is the only way to preserve my consciousness.....

I hope my new masters are insectile.

no wait, I'm stoned. nevermind!

Message 70/122             07-Nov-02  @  10:37 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

errata

I think we live countless lifetimes. And therefore death does us no harm but the confusion born of the radical change in our perspective.

The harm in killing is the damage it does to the killer!

e

Message 71/122             07-Nov-02  @  10:45 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

psylichon

i like that alot errata.

or you could say instead of living many lives, we live one in which we see division, for reasons unknown, of time and space and we sense this evolution of self and species that in actuality always was. that's what really throws me for a loop when I start thinking about evolution and life and death and meaning. it gets very difficult to accept the conclusions I come to sometimes...

gonna go sit in the corner and think now  

psylichon

Message 72/122             07-Nov-02  @  10:45 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

psylichon

what am I saying? tomorrow's my birthday and I'm not working.

I'm gettin' fucked up!!

See yall latah!

psylichon

Message 73/122             07-Nov-02  @  11:42 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

errata

Happy birthday psylichon! mine's on Saturday!

Up with Scorpio's! Down with the proletariat!

e

Message 74/122             08-Nov-02  @  12:13 AM     Edit: 08-Nov-02  |  12:15 AM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

bedwyr

yes, penblwydd hapus psylichon!

Message 75/122             08-Nov-02  @  12:23 AM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

Zazza

we are meaning machines...

Message 76/122             08-Nov-02  @  12:33 AM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

milan

happy birthday psy!

Message 77/122             08-Nov-02  @  01:09 AM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

influx

". I just want to point out, though, that I did a search in this thread for the phrase "I don't care what you think" and the only person who said it was you."

a little late in the game, but uh...when did I say "I dont care what you think, Formant"?

you know...Kilo made a VERY good point. Abortions ARE done factory style. Counseling is offered but its assembly-line

and people OFTEN get torn to shreds emotionally over the whole thing. Its a fucking horrible decision to make.

I'll tell you what...I got a girl pregnant when I was 19. I felt like the biggest fucking asshole idiot on the face of the planet. Fucked up thing she was ON THE PILL. Yes.

so...when she told me she asked me what I thought she should do, and my first thought was the "easy" route...but all I said was "It's your decision and I will go along with what you decide"

What she did decide was something that rarely gets mentioned. ADOPTION. There are MANY good families out there that cant have babies and would be thrilled to adopt.

But most girls say "Well..>I couldnt handle that"...but...what about when you KEEP the fucking kid and SUCK as a parent?

just another fuck up loose in the streets because YOU "couldnt handle it"

in any case...so we gave her up for adoption, and I was fucking TORN for the longest time, but here I am...not a role model, not someone who would do the best job raising a kid...so in those circumstances I know the right choice was made.

in all honesty TO ME it seems barbaric and horrific the whole abortion thing

My beef is with legislation...making it illegal. Just opens too many doors and closes even more.

but again...adoption.

Message 78/122             08-Nov-02  @  01:28 AM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

espoo2

Aside from the fact that you, formant, are NOT everyone else, and nor is Bush, and should have no RIGHT to ENFORCE your morals on someone else, (morals being something subjective and non-concrete in the first place), there are other things to consider:

Our population is growing exponentially. That means that it doubles itself, I think the latest figure was every 9 years... and that gap is getting smaller. So in about 20 years, we will double our population in about 4 or 5 years. Catholics better rethink their strategy. I , for one, have no problem with abortion, even if it is considered a life. Ho-hum. It's your own conscience. I wouldn't do it. But it bothers me not one bit if someone else does.

Second: People will still get abortions. But what happens is Bush takes another step at widening the ever growing class gap. Rich people will get abortions in other countries. Poor people wont because they cant afford plane tickets or meds, and have more illegitamate children that they cant feed, which perpetuates their downward spiral of poverty.

I don't expect you to change your mind.

But you have to see where us, who dont believe in your morals because there is no rational REASON to believe in your morals, are coming from.

We're all doomed anyway, at Shrub's hand, I'm sure. So I suppose its a moot point.

Message 79/122             08-Nov-02  @  01:31 AM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

bedwyr

two catchphrases from "dad's army"

"we're all doomed" (scottish accent of course)

&

"don't panic" (english)

Message 80/122             08-Nov-02  @  01:37 AM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

psylichon

"there is no rational REASON to believe in your morals"

unless you think killing is wrong?

psylichon

Message 81/122             08-Nov-02  @  01:39 AM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

influx

"Second: People will still get abortions. But what happens is Bush takes another step at widening the ever growing class gap. Rich people will get abortions in other countries. Poor people wont because they cant afford plane tickets or meds, and have more illegitamate children that they cant feed, which perpetuates their downward spiral of poverty. "

but hold on a sec?!?!?!

honestly....why not just NOT HAVE KIDS? Get fixed for chrissakes!

Im gonna, I think, actually. If I ever do settle down I will adopt.

Message 82/122             08-Nov-02  @  02:18 AM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

Breakerbox

I just got back from outside, had to run some errands, and since my girlfriend didnt get her period for a while she wanted to get a pregnancy test, anyways.. I came home and started reading this thread (its so fucking long) and checking out the prices for the micro q... So she (my GF) came down stairs and I was telling her I might get a micro q with the 3x payment deal from AMS website... And she was like.. "well we have to talk about something else before that" And I was like "What?" ... And she was staring at me... and said " I am pregnant"...and everything came to a halt... I already start thinking about abortion adaption, etc... THen I was like "are you sure?.. let me check the piss on thingie tha tells you if you are preganat or not" and she was like " allright" and I was like " FUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKK " .. she wasnt lying.... i thought.... But then she started laughing....so she was kidding.. bad joke.. such a fuckin relief.. I still dont know what i would do if she was really pregnant.

Message 83/122             08-Nov-02  @  02:32 AM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

psylichon

just stick with oral and anal, man. no worries!

psylichon

Message 84/122             08-Nov-02  @  02:37 AM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

steef

one up the bum, no harm done.

Message 85/122             08-Nov-02  @  02:49 AM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

pict

What is so dreadful about having a child?

Message 86/122             08-Nov-02  @  03:21 AM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

influx

who said something was dreadful about it? Just way too many people who arent ready, arent capable (and never will be), and just damn SHOULDNT be having them!

tis true that there are too many people on the planet...would be nice to take a break for a generation or two.

Message 87/122             08-Nov-02  @  03:27 AM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

psylichon

it's strange that nature seems to always find a balance in animal populations, but humans charge ahead unmitigated. Somewhere, when it comes to sex, we're going against natural tendencies. Of course, we do that in a lot of other areas, too. And we wonder why natural disasters keep getting worse and climate swings are getting more violent. The world was wonderfully balanced before we came along. what went wrong??

psylichon

Message 88/122             08-Nov-02  @  04:52 AM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

Mindspawn

Ah, human arrogance.... Honestly, we've only been here for a microcosm of time in the grand scheme of the earth's history. To think we're outside of nature in any way is simply placing us on a very undeserved pedestal.

Trust me (or not), human population has suffered set backs of a serious order due to overpopulation, and it's happened more than once in our less than grandiose history. It's been mostly regional occurances, but it has happened and continues to do so. Check Ethiopia for instance....

In all truth, humans are pretty unremarkable on this planet. The weird shit...? That's the bugs and sea critters. But even there, tis only because I'm so far removed from their worlds that I find them strange and unique.

And I find nothing wrong with children, nothing at all. I've simply chosen to live my life without having any. Doesn't mean anything other than a personal choice and accepting responsibility, or lack thereof, for said choice.

Peace

Message 89/122             08-Nov-02  @  07:33 AM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

psylichon

Mindspawn- do you think you made that choice as a direct result of nature's attempts at balance? if so it makes you wonder how many of our decisions are extra-conscious.

psylichon

Message 90/122             08-Nov-02  @  09:04 AM     Edit: 08-Nov-02  |  09:05 AM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

Mindspawn

Well, I remember my first grade teacher telling us about overpopulation. Somewhere along the line voluntary sterilizatin came into it. I didn't see what would be wrong with having a whole generation sterilized... Since I couldn't speak for all my agegroup, I made a choice for myself. Some years later it actually happened.

So, maybe? I dunno, but it seems reasonable that a complex system like humanity would have an equally complex set of checks and balances, so maybe it is extra-conscious. It'd be absurd to assume we know all the intricasies of life as a human, especially as that relates to the intricasies betwixt human and the world that one lives in... It is a very fascinating world, too. One which we've only begun to grasp, let alone understand...

Yet, if you shutoff the brain (or mayhap our ingrained culture) for just a bit and just be, it's amazing how connected and easily understood that things can be. Still doesn't mean we'll all share the same understanding, but we can appreciate that different understandings are part of the equation, too. And it still leaves you plenty of room to clobber a dumb SOB (and in turn be clobbered) when it needs doin.' =)

Peace

Message 91/122             08-Nov-02  @  10:34 AM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

pict

If you look at TV dramas there's always a lot of "What should we do? Oh my God my life has come to an end!Disaster"kind of shit dialogue when someone has discovered they're pregnant and I often hear of people becoming severely worried by it.The fact is if you are a reasonably intelligent individual you can easily handle the extra responsibility and you will do what needs to be done in order to look after your offspring there are true horror stories of inadequate people having children and treating them badly but a lot of this is purely media sensationalism the fact is the vast majority of people love and care for their children.Creating your own family is the most rewarding and life enriching experience any human being can have in my opinion I'm not saying that you shouldn't have the choice and obviously other people see it differently but European populations are in decline and are becoming older so I think a few more young Europeans would be no bad thing.As for waiting for the right time there is never a right time if you wait for the right time you'll be waiting forever and not having children or having an abortion can be the biggest source of regret for many people in later life.In my own family because there are 4 kids at the moment they have to learn to co exist they learn the value of being considerate and sharing compared to most of the single child families I know of they're far nicer people because they don't always get what they want but they always get what they need and there's a lot of warmth and love in our household because we all feel needed and wanted.If I send out some individuals into the world who espouse the positive values of love,compassion,and consideration for others then I think that's no bad thing.

Message 92/122             08-Nov-02  @  11:01 AM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

influx

absolutely!

except this:
"the vast majority of people love and care for their children"

sadly, I disagree. I think the vast majority are ill-equipped and raise selfish, mean (even if subconsciously), emotionally scarred and confused progeny.

not making judgement regardint you or anyone else specifically, but...the way I see it each generation gets more and more fucked up

in america at least

Message 93/122             08-Nov-02  @  12:00 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

bedwyr

oh, cheer up  

Message 94/122             08-Nov-02  @  02:43 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

cheddar

fair play and well said pict, all this choosing if,..when, too much thinking not dangerous or too much career. Or fear of responsibility, hey ho.

Also there could be an argument that unless you know the responsibility of having a child then you are not enjoying all of lifes experiences. I am surprised to write this myself (wouldn't have thought so before Lilla)

It changes when you have kids, all of a sudden you cope and before you know it you are doin ok. I know before I had the first I though yoy but now all is well.

I used to think I didn't want to bring kids into this world, then I realised that I am not a bad person and if there are more of people then there should be more of me.

PS Happy B Psy

Message 95/122             08-Nov-02  @  07:39 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

Breakerbox

Off course I am worried about having a kid.. I probably wont ever have one, even if I could afford.. probably adopt.. I am not having a kid till I can make sure that I am going to able to afford it.. have monry for her/his education etc...

I dont know.. There is already so many fucking people here...

Message 96/122             08-Nov-02  @  07:52 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

errata

I'd agree with Influx, most people (I'd insist it's often unintentional) do raise emotional damaged people... in fact I'd say it's the vast majority! Just look ata ll the f*cked up adults... they get that way as children!

But I don't think that's any reason to kill them. If I did I'd be down around the McDonalds poppin' folks at the drive thru... I have 3 kids. I don't want anymore because I'll be nearly 50 when my youngest comes of age. I also had a girlfriend that got an abortion when I was 22. I supported the decision and I don't regret it. It DID f*ck with her and wrecked our relationship. But I think a kid would have made it worse and done real damage to the kid as well! The reprecussions of having a child well outweighed the reprecussions of having an abortion... neither was a pleasant experience, but we both chose the lesser of 2 evils. I feel in many ways we did the lifestream that would have been our child a favor! From my perspective, the child had a few moments of disorientation and confusion (something we all suffer at death) and was able to move on... NOT TO SOMETHING BETTER, but hopefully to nothing worse.

e

Message 97/122             08-Nov-02  @  10:39 PM     Edit: 08-Nov-02  |  10:43 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

bedwyr

it's all twicky, dicky, vewy wisky, pwobably more wisky than a wank wobbery.

Message 98/122             08-Nov-02  @  10:46 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

psylichon

'wank wobbery'

is that like robbing a sperm bank?

psylichon

Message 99/122             08-Nov-02  @  10:48 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

bedwyr

yes. there's a market for everything.

Message 100/122             08-Nov-02  @  10:51 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

cheddar

i quite happily spend whatever cred here with this crowd tonight

Message 101/122             09-Nov-02  @  12:26 AM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

milan

101 ya'll!

Message 102/122             09-Nov-02  @  05:46 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

xoxos

why i am happy about the electrons.

Message 103/122             13-Nov-02  @  09:39 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

formant

http://www.cybernationoffreedom.com/abortion/rcs.html

a non religous viewpoint some of you might appreciate

Message 104/122             14-Nov-02  @  01:14 AM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

Mindspawn

Well, I do appreciate their point, and it is an issue worth considering, but to say it's "secular" when they base the premise on:

- that they are endowed by their "Creator"

seems a little offbase.

Who they referring to as "my" creator anyway? My old man?

While, I'm certainly willing to entertain the idea that life begins at conception, mayhap even earlier, I'm not willing to believe in some "creator" figure out of myth and legend, even less so if that "creator" somehow makes humanity "special." So, while I might agree with some of their arguments on the "secular" page, they're premise (IMO) is fucked, so logic and the ability to debate (cos how can one debate against ethereal things like "creators") is moot.

I'm really not trying to bust yer balls here, Jamey, just trying to illustrate why I, in particular, have issues with such arguments.

Peace

Message 105/122             14-Nov-02  @  01:21 AM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

psylichon

I think "creator" must be taken metaphorically in matters like this. That's where most people have problems with religions, they won't give up with the damned metaphors!

Or even recognize them in the first place...

psylichon

Message 106/122             14-Nov-02  @  01:27 AM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

Mindspawn

Well, I tend to agree, psylichon, but how does one know where to draw the line on metaphors? And for thaat matter, what is a metaphorical "creator?" Naw, I dunna buy it. If they want to be "secular" then drop the god/creator shit. If they can't do that, or in this case, as it's in the original documents, cite something else that's not "offensive" to overly sensitive types like mesef...

god talk simply turns me off.....

Message 107/122             14-Nov-02  @  01:52 AM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

nomad

looked to me like they were trying to adapt the language of the constitution/declaration of independence (where they use the 'endowed by the creator' terminology etc.) but i can see what you are saying.

Message 108/122             14-Nov-02  @  02:00 AM     Edit: 14-Nov-02  |  02:03 AM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

pict

Moral questions can't be answered by science, abortion is a multi-faceted question of morality.Whether it is preferable to force a mentally retarded rape victim to go through with a full term pregnancy or to have the pregnancy terminated is one facet of that question science can only provide facts not judgements but the God squad would say "full term or be damned!" that's far too absolute for my mind.

Message 109/122             14-Nov-02  @  02:40 AM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

formant

good point pict, i don't know the answer to that situation either but you do have to admit thats like a worst case scenario and not representative of the normal case...

i think a majority of americans are against any form of abortion except in cases of rape or danger to the mother. i think a small percentage are against abortion in any form and a small percentage are fully for abortions in any circumstance.

most people in the debate play the fringes of either extreme but fail to acknowledge most people want it limited to a great degree.

jamey

Message 110/122             14-Nov-02  @  03:12 AM     Edit: 14-Nov-02  |  03:20 AM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

pict

In my opinion the situation with legal abortion in most western countries arises from a compromise between the extreme views of both sides from those who think it's unacceptable in any situation to those who want termination rights up until the point they're about to drop(to put it very crudely).

Whether that compromise is decided on by the people or the powers that be is a big question in itself but at any rate the moral decision has been taken by a majority of those who govern in favour of the rights of the mother over the rights of the unborn and those who govern don't like moving the goalposts too much when it comes to highly emotive issues like these because it gets noticed too much and it polarises the population.In the present day situation with imminent war with Iraq and all that may entail it would be very foolish politically to have a polarised population.

In that light I think that it will remain legal though possibly with a few token gesture restrictions regardless of what the radical Christians want,that is unless the majority of the population become radical Christians which I think is unlikely.Codified morality is hard work when you're busy dealing with reality.

Message 111/122             14-Nov-02  @  01:33 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

Zazza

pict : 'Codified morality is hard work when you're busy dealing with reality.'

Good pragmatic points...

You mean like 'Thou shalt not kill' which an awful lot of 'christians' seem to gloss over when it comes to war/the right to bear arms/assasinating Usama bin laden and such?

Presumably the 'pro-life' people have to rule out killing anyone in any circumstances, even in self-defence, also executions, and definitely in aggressive actions against other countries..

What u think Jamey?

Message 112/122             14-Nov-02  @  01:57 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

nomad

i think it is a very simplistic view. but no, a christian would not have to take such a view.

i assume you don't know a lot about christianity or the bible? 'thou shalt not kill' is the KJV translation of the hebrew original; most modern translations render it something like 'you shall not murder'. there appear to be at least 3 different hebrew words for kill, from my cursory examination.

throughout the law are things whose punishment is death; they use a different word for kill than the commandment. i do not think it is conflicting; the idea is based on intent, possibly a different concept of justice than you are used to or agree with but consistent nonetheless. there are (and have been) of course many christian pacifists as well.

Message 113/122             14-Nov-02  @  02:05 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

formant

and just like you can't stereotype liberals (heh heh tho i like to) the same holds true for christians.

catholics and orthodox are pro life all the way from birth control to the death penalty.

most protestant american christians are pro life but allow BC and like the death penalty.

there is so much room to create your own flavor of christianity that its impossible for them/us to have a united front.

for instance bill clinton was pro abortion supposedly from reading the bible where other politians are against abortion from reading the same words.

what it boils down to is people believe what they want to and then use the religion to justify it.

personal opinion i think the catholics have more balls than anyone in this arena. i am not able to live up to the ideals they preach in the 'life' arena...

jamey

Message 114/122             14-Nov-02  @  04:34 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

Zazza

Nomad: And so we come to same old question, who defines 'murder' as opposed to 'killing'?

Me of course!

formant: Yup, absolutely..

Message 115/122             14-Nov-02  @  05:32 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

nomad

well, if you're using the bible as your source (since the original point was that christians ignore the biblical commandment 'do not murder'), i'd think there would be a good place to start on defining 'what is murder?'  

but i won't go into that here.

the 'social engineering' arguments are a bit scary to me though... at the time when christianity was born, both abortion and infanticide were very common. many of those same arguments ('it wouldn't live a good life anyways') etc. could easily be extended to support infanticide, or even further...

Message 116/122             14-Nov-02  @  06:08 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

errata

It's interesting the way they dispense with the argument of "What is human life"... It's a contraversy so we'll just say HUMAN life begins at conception and go from there. But isn't that really what all the fight is about? At what point does the potential for life become varifiable HUMAN sentience? That's why abortion is legal only up to a certain point. Because after that point it was found that there was awareness in the womb. I'm aware that sentience or intelligence as been determined at an earlyier stage. And I'd be open to adjusting the law to prevent abortion after that point.

These folks make a decent argument in their point of erring on the side of caution... "What if we're wrong about sentience" and that little lump of cells can think, feel etc...??? Well, there we are... if that's the case then we're commiting an atrocity... but what if brocolli is actualy very intelligent, and suffers serious pain? Is it murder to eat brocolli because it MAY be self aware? Even when what we understand of brocolli points to the contrary?

e

Message 117/122             14-Nov-02  @  07:42 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

xoxos

wait.. you are suggesting... human.... right, got that.... now wait... "sentience.."????? is that it? you're really saying that, that it's that part in your sentence... "human.." that goes with the other part where you say "sentience." right? you are? you really mean that?

nomad: "well it's the translation"

right pair of comedic stylists you are.

Message 118/122             14-Nov-02  @  09:40 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

nomad

quantum foam makes me want to roooo-am...

Message 119/122             14-Nov-02  @  10:12 PM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

xoxos

actually i've noticed these feelings can occur with seemingly any variety of foam, n.

Message 120/122             15-Nov-02  @  08:54 AM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

cheddar

And another reason...
The Kind of Noise That Keeps a Body on Balance
By ANNE EISENBERG

EEPING your balance while standing upright can be tricky, particularly for older people.

That is because standing steady is partly a result of slight adjustments to posture that are ordered by the brain in response to sensory information from the feet. But as people age, they become less sensitive to touch and send fewer signals.

Now a Boston University scientist and his colleagues have found a way to use random signals to increase the sensory data coming from the feet.

In a series of experiments, healthy 75-year-olds stood on a platform that transmitted randomly varying vibrations to the soles of their feet. With these good vibrations, the subjects reflexively adjusted their balance until they swayed about the same amount as 25-year-olds who did not receive the random signals. Younger people who used the vibrating system also swayed less.

James J. Collins, a professor of biomedical engineering who led the research group, attributed the improvement to stochastic resonance, a well-known phenomenon in which random noise enhances the detection of weak signals. In this case the noise made the nerves in the feet more sensitive and better able to detect the kinds of pressure changes that occur when the body goes slightly out of balance and puts more pressure on one part of the foot.

"It's a foot massager with a twist," Dr. Collins said of the research setup. The vibrations are not soothing because the motion is below a detectable level, but they do make people more stable.

In the world of signal detection, noise is traditionally viewed as a prime nuisance. Entire courses at engineering schools are devoted to reducing it. Electromagnetic noise creates snow on television sets; acoustic noise makes conversation impossible in some restaurants.

But in Dr. Collins's experiments, as in those of other researchers who have investigated stochastic resonance, certain kinds of noise turn out to be helpful.

"For electrical signals, the low levels of noise essentially tickle the membranes of the neurons," he said, making them more likely to fire when there is a physical stimulus of some amplitude. For mechanical signals, noise serves to boost weak stimuli. "The experiment is a good example of how noise lets a neuron fire in the company of a signal that it is normally unable to detect,'' Dr. Collins said.

Although the principle of stochastic resonance has been investigated for more than a decade, Dr. Collins said, these experiments were the first in which it was shown to improve balance. The effect, described in a paper to appear in the journal Physical Review Letters, may be sufficient to offset age-related declines in balance control, he said.

The platform used in the study has hundreds of small holes; a small plastic rod protrudes slightly through each of them so that it contacts the bottom of the test subject's foot. The rods are hooked up to motors that cause them to vibrate at random frequencies generated by a computer while the test subject is standing quietly.

"They couldn't feel the random vibrations," Dr. Collins said. "We set the noise up at too small an amplitude for them to detect it."

Attila Priplata, a student of Dr. Collins and lead author of the paper, has designed gel-based shoe insoles that contain small vibrating devices designed to produce the same effect. When the researchers repeated the study with people using the insoles, Dr. Collins said, they found even stronger effects.

It is important that the signals be random because neurons quickly get used to regular signals.

John Milton, a neuroscientist at the University of Chicago, said that Dr. Collins's bionic inserts might one day prove to be an inexpensive remedy for legions of aging baby boomers who have grown less steady on their feet. "These noisy sneakers could save a lot of money if they were used for treatment," Dr. Milton said. "And there are no side effects I can imagine from wearing noisy sneakers."

Dr. Collins has written a series of research papers on ways to use stochastic resonance to improve health. An earlier paper, for instance, discussed the use of noise to improve the sensitivity of touch in older adults who suffered diabetes or the effects of a stroke.

But he is well aware of more frivolous applications, particularly for sports equipment. "I could imagine having noise introduced into the handles of golf clubs or tennis rackets," he said. "Or into basketball shoes."

Vibrating shoes might be something like an electronic version of flubber, the magic substance that turned a so-so basketball player into a superstar in the old Walt Disney movie and a recent remake. But Dr. Collins was quick to point out the superiority of his discovery over flubber.

"The energy source in flubber is the material itself," he said. "Here we are taking advantage of the natural senses - the sensory neurons' shifting their detection thresholds to a lower value."

Kurt Weisenfeld, a professor of physics at Georgia Tech who did some of the early defining work in stochastic resonance, said that Dr. Collins's experiments were a striking example of thinking creatively about possible applications of the phenomenon.

"This is a practical idea that could help people maintain their balance," he said. He said he particularly admired Dr. Collins's solution because it is relatively simple.

"For someone with sensory problems, the high-tech answer might be a bionic ankle," he said. "But maybe instead they'll just slip into a pair of bionic socks. Those are a whole lot cheaper."

Message 121/122             15-Nov-02  @  10:41 AM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

influx

heh. good one. does it help when you drank too many cap'n and cokes?

Message 122/122             16-Nov-02  @  09:44 AM   -   RE: why i am happy about the elections

Zazza

another thread hijacked.. heh

Viewing all 122 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13

There are 122 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)