aaa What Synth for Jungle? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: What Synth for Jungle?

Viewing all 49 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5

Original Message 1/49             15-Nov-02  @  12:18 AM   -   What Synth for Jungle?

citizen_s

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

ok. i need some suggestions for a synth with dark, rich (but not cheezE) analog/va analog basslines. i only want it for bass. thats it. price is a consideration but i will find a way to get money if need be.. *evil laugh*

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/49             15-Nov-02  @  12:57 AM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

k

junglist VSTi ?

Message 3/49             15-Nov-02  @  01:24 AM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

psylichon

Link?: Link

i woulda said that but i got the feeling he wanted hardware for some reason. q?

psylichon

Message 4/49             15-Nov-02  @  01:29 AM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

influx

man...after so many times having this asked I still cant help but wonder if someone is serious?!?!?

bro..ANY synth will make almost ANY noise, and NO synth is gonna do it for you!

there aint one out there that you can plug in and go "yeah, jungle!" except some of them DO have presets geared toward a mean low end. (virus has a bunch of "jungle" presets)

but...awww shit...its just...theyre not genre specific, man!

I see virus As for $500 here...and can say with 100% conviction that with that and a good sampler that you (assuming you will spend time learning how to use them) could make almost any sound you could possibly imagine!

Message 5/49             15-Nov-02  @  09:40 AM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

milan

tnx influx for putting it so well.

"ANY synth will make almost ANY noise, and NO synth is gonna do it for you!"

this should be in the FAQ.

Message 6/49             15-Nov-02  @  09:50 AM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

Maarten

Yeah, what he said, put that next to "Get a smapler!"

There's a tutorial on synth-programming on the Access site... even if you have no Virus, could well be usefull to you.

good luck,

-M-

Message 7/49             15-Nov-02  @  09:51 AM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

Maarten

link

Message 8/49             15-Nov-02  @  10:52 AM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

bedwyr

nice link maarten! thank ewe  

Message 9/49             15-Nov-02  @  12:01 PM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

Steve Roughley

c my reply to your jungle kick post.

Steve.

Message 10/49             15-Nov-02  @  01:55 PM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

citizen_s

sheesus bite my frikkin head off why dontcha..

i know that synths are not 'genre specific' but incase you didnt READ my post i was trying to explain what kinda sound i wanted. the only reason i said jungle (other than to piss you off) was so people would understand what kinda basslines i was looking for. if i would have said dark and rich HOUSE basslines i could have been talking about something completely different, no?

i have a hardware synth, i have a software synth... so theres no need to patronize me by saying ANY synth will make noise.. in the words garth, DUUUUUUH! just trying to get some particulars here.

Message 11/49             15-Nov-02  @  02:11 PM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

99devils

Seriously, don't take offense. It's just that, well... He's right. It all comes down to perdonal preference, and that's, well, personal  

-Craig

Message 12/49             15-Nov-02  @  02:24 PM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

citizen_s

oh im not taking offense at all. im just trying to stress what im looking for here. i dont have a mountain of money to play with so if at all possible i would like to get some serious opinions on a serious matter.

i know its a personal preference and i guess im not doing a good job at explaining what im shooting for. but to even just generalize a synth that MAY be what im looking for would help. im sorry if you guys read this all the time im not trying to annoy you although i probably am by now. im new at this and call me crazy but i wanna RESEARCH my possibilities first. i thought this would be a good way. maybe i was wrong.

Message 13/49             15-Nov-02  @  02:53 PM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

Maarten

First things that come to mind : Access Virus A / B / C, Studio Electronics ATC, Waldorf Pulse maybe, hell if you tweak the right way the Yamaha DX-200 fm box can go really dark & aggressive. What's your budget?

Message 14/49             15-Nov-02  @  03:37 PM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

99devils

Any virtual analog or real analog will do that for you. Which one of them you like is going to be up to you. Do you have a shop close to you where you can try them out?

-Craig

Message 15/49             15-Nov-02  @  03:38 PM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

citizen_s

ive been saving so money isnt really my BIGGEST concern. my biggest concern is spending my cash and not getting what i want. ive been hearing great things about the Q. honestly i was gonna go with a pulse cuz its analog but im not so sure its gonna be able to do what i want. plus rack mounts scare me.

Message 16/49             15-Nov-02  @  03:55 PM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

milan

well look... if you say you know all this about synths why are you asking such a question then? anyway, all of this should do what you want if you rub it the right way... but also you shouldnt forget that samplers or fx and other processes can influence the sound in a way that programming cannot etc... for exaple check what JX3PO did with a microQ and a sampler in the music forum.

when i had the dilema you have now (dark dnb basslines) i ended up buying a sherman filterbank which will make _any_ synth sound rather evil. i know it aint cheap but a second hand filterbank should be within your budget if you were planning on getting a synth anyway. if you want i could post a few mp3 examples so you can see if its something like you want.

Message 17/49             15-Nov-02  @  04:21 PM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

citizen_s

lol where did i say i was the all knowing wizard of synths? i didnt. i said im new to this but im not completely clueless. god for being able to render complex machines you have a real problem with reading comprehension.

ANYWAYZ! yeah if you could link some sounds of things youve done that would be great.   any help is much appriciated.

and unfortunately i do not have a store close by.. thats the main reason ive decided to jump on message boards.

Message 18/49             15-Nov-02  @  05:34 PM     Edit: 15-Nov-02  |  05:38 PM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

milan

File?:  File

FilterbankBass.mp3

ok... here you go. i cut and pasted few bits i found on my hd. they are by no means produced pieces of music, but you´ll get a general idea what FB sounds like. there are few filter sweeps plus one smooth deep bass towards the end. it can do a whole lot more, of course, but this will give you a general idea and you can see if this is what you´re looking for.

and dont say i´m not nice to you!

oh btw, forgot to mention: the sounds come from my oberheim matrix which is really not a nasty sounding synth, but you see what happens when you mangle it  

Message 19/49             15-Nov-02  @  06:37 PM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

99devils

I say again. Any VA or analog synth can do that sound decently. Pulse, Q, Virus, Nord, JP-8000, Nova, Kstation, etc etc etc etc etc....

q - which snyth for...

a - All of them. pick one

Message 20/49             15-Nov-02  @  06:50 PM     Edit: 15-Nov-02  |  06:51 PM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

Steve Roughley

Citizen_S, have you checked out my response to your Jungle Kick post in the Drums forum?

Here

Regards.

Steve.

Message 21/49             15-Nov-02  @  07:20 PM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

citizen_s

99devils... yes i get what you are saying. but theres a big difference between a pulse which is about $400 now and a nord or virus which can get up to $2000 or more. if im gonna get an expensive one im going to do a lot more research... cant afford to do otherwise, ya know?

milan... thanks.   those actually sound pretty close to what im looking for. at the same time im not trying to bite anyones style.. tryin to be at least a little bit original. but those sound good.   my only problem is the only synth i have is a microK and its a better vocoder than synth (although the synth is very good considering the price) and im assuming you ran your basslines through the FB. question. does the FB have mono in/outputs (my microK does i think).

Steve. thanks for responding. that machine has a good bit of what i would like to get my greedy hands on... question though... can you program your own basslines or do you have to use the presets given? i already fell for that one. lol and i wasnt too happy when i found out that the tone generators that yamaha makes only allows you to adjust preset sounds. its more of a toy than an instrument/tool.

Message 22/49             15-Nov-02  @  08:30 PM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

influx

"if i would have said dark and rich HOUSE basslines i could have been talking about something completely different, no?"

no. not really.

and...youre ranting about ME not reading YOUR post, but then you go on to say about virus being $2000

you can get the A version for $500 US, man. itll do EVERYTHING you want it to. bassy bassy bassy.

so would a pulse. so might a nova (altho those sound a bit tame to me...but still very cool)

like dark biting bass? remember "Wheres Jack the Ripper" by Grooverider? taht bass? ahhhhhhhhh

nord lead

Message 23/49             15-Nov-02  @  08:49 PM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

citizen_s

'and...youre ranting about ME not reading YOUR post, but then you go on to say about virus being $2000' um actually no i wasnt. that post wasnt direct at you... but since youre on the topic you never said a or b series virus.. you said a virus. and seeing as how the a & b series' are discontinued i naturally thought you were talking about the c series.

im not here to get in a pissing match with anyone... just want some suggestions/info.

and yes im VERY familiar with 'wheres jack the ripper' its a classic jungle track. and youre telling me that was done on a nord lead? wow. i love that track.  

Message 24/49             15-Nov-02  @  08:53 PM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

psylichon

you saying my tracks are tame, influx? ;)

psy

Message 25/49             15-Nov-02  @  09:41 PM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

influx

"I see virus As for $500 here...and can say with 100% conviction that with that and a good sampler that you (assuming you will spend time learning how to use them) could make almost any sound you could possibly imagine!"

no. no pissing match, but...its kinda funny that youre pissed I didnt "read your post" when..uh..this was my response

aint no thang really. Im just pointing it out

Message 26/49             15-Nov-02  @  10:05 PM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

milan

Citisen S, you run you _oscillators_ thru the filter bank, prferably keeping the filter of your synth completely open (in order for the FB to have something to filter, right?).

anyway, get _any_ VA synth, it will do what you want...

Message 27/49             15-Nov-02  @  11:02 PM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

errata

hehehe, every time!

The Waldorf XTK does those classic stacked "juno" sounds on a lot of dark jungle (that's what a lot of Junglists use, i mean)

And as above, the Nord lead is a classic heavy bassliner in a lot of tech step.

the Nova can do Jungle-y growls but not as raw sounding as some... it's a prettier than meaner synth.

MS2000 can do it too!!!

e

Message 28/49             15-Nov-02  @  11:25 PM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

Steve Roughley

It is a rompler. There are 50 unprocessed waveforms for manipulation with the filters and effects.

If you're after something different, as Milan has so correctlt suggested, just get a VA like the Nord Lead, or the Virus. They'll solve ALL of your synth problems.

Regards.

Steve.

Message 29/49             16-Nov-02  @  03:23 AM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

brett

i have owned a ton of synths, and none have done big unison bass sounds better than a jp8000 or the 8080.

Also you can use a sub harmonic synth like the behringer or the dbx to add an extra octave underneath your current sounds.

Message 30/49             16-Nov-02  @  06:36 PM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

dr_haskell

The waldorf pulse has got to be a bargain, I have heard of minimoog owners using these in preference. They go for about £150 second hand, but most synths can do decent bass with a bit of time spent with them (plus a ditortion pedal!)

Message 31/49             18-Nov-02  @  05:21 AM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

Brett

the pulse is a mean little beast.

Message 32/49             21-Nov-02  @  02:19 AM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

Pongoid

Q, Pulse, MS-20, Virus, Junglist 2, whatever. They are all good.

Ape

Message 33/49             25-Nov-02  @  12:29 AM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

JX3P0

Link?:  Link

Akai sampler,and a Juno-60

H-do your homework

Message 34/49             25-Nov-02  @  04:03 AM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

Scott

I love jungle / d&b as a diversion from my primary focus, which is prog house.

I too often wondered how pros (especially Metalheadz) got those ultra tricked-out, in your face, oozing with character basslines.

So I bought this Metalheadz propaganda / documentary video. It sheds some light on just how seriously pro d&b artist take their basslines...

The bassline is so important, and it's important that you develop your own sound. If you just rip Virus filters all day long, d&b labels are gonna know.

What you need to do, IMO, is develop some of your own techniques to get "that" sound. For example, one of the Metalheadz artists (can't remember his name off-hand) has several sets of monitors in his studio. One is a set of shitty old consumer speakers, and what he does is overdrive them with a tube amplifier, and puts a bass drum mic right near the woofer, and samples himself playing analog synths through that setup. Presumably, he then takes those samples and mangles them even more within his E4XT.

So my suggestion is similar to some of the above, but with an urge for you to try something original. Sampler + synths + EFX + ?... try some wack sh!t like that, you never know...  

Scott

Message 35/49             26-Nov-02  @  04:45 AM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

BJT

I love the renegade hardware bass sound, madness. Feel the power.

Message 36/49             26-Nov-02  @  05:13 AM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

influx

fuck yeah! old future forces?

when dara dropped the first renegade continuum.

jeezUS if you crank that shit...BASS IN YOUR FACE.

damn...we're talkin pure love here. Why am I workin at 136 and not 176?

Message 37/49             26-Nov-02  @  09:57 AM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

milan

well, change of tempo can do wonders for creativity. wanna swap? i got another breaky thing knocking about  

Message 38/49             26-Nov-02  @  04:11 PM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

Kazhul

He he he he, Influx :-)
ANY synth will do ANY noise ? Really ?
I "challenge" you to make a Roland D20 or a
Korg 03R/W or an good old M1 sound like a Virus C with only the built-in synth features :-)
Or even a Waldorf µQ sound EXACTLY like a Q+, a Qrack or a Virus C :-)

Hu hu hu hu...
Synths do sound different because their internal components are, and because their filters are, because they ARE different ! ;-)
Otherwise there would be just 1 manufacturer in the world, a kind of Microsoft like music industry. Yuk !!

Message 39/49             26-Nov-02  @  06:06 PM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

99devils

Dude, you're throwing jabs now. He meant that any analog synth can do any analog sound, just like I said, like, 3 times up there.

We do know that an analog isn't going to make a realistic piano, and an FM synth isn't going to do a nice fat analog bass.

-Craig

Message 40/49             26-Nov-02  @  06:39 PM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

errata

Wrote a FAT jungle bassline on an M1 a coupl'a years ago. Stacked 4 parts and detuned 2 of the patches... it growled and grained and stretched! Nice "on board" distortion on the M1! I'll see if I can find the MP3, it's on a CD somewhere...

So "f" you buddy!!! hehehe
:0

e

Message 41/49             26-Nov-02  @  11:20 PM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

influx

"He he he he, Influx :-) ANY synth will do ANY noise ? Really ? I "challenge" you to make a Roland D20 or a Korg 03R/W or an good old M1 sound like a Virus C with only the built-in synth features :-) Or even a Waldorf µQ sound EXACTLY like a Q+, a Qrack or a Virus C :-) "

hu hu hu.

I didnt say a D20 would sound like a virus. tonal characteristics and the capability to make a noise are two different things...

Im sure a D20 could be coaxed into doing pretty much any sound given the proper FX, tweaking, resampling and processing.

of COURSE youre right tho...I think its funny you wanted to try to call me out on that one.

bottom line is theres no specific synth for any specific sound. some excel at certain things...

Message 42/49             27-Nov-02  @  03:05 AM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

JX3P0

Not to mention sample playback machines
aren't "synths"

H- Akai vs juno 60

Message 43/49             27-Nov-02  @  03:19 PM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

Kazhul

No prob Influx :-)

It's just that I've been overloading my brain trying to figure out what synth could suit my sweetest dreams for months...
And even owning more synths, I can't be sure :-)
He he he...
Actually, I guess I feel jealous about all these nice sounds that everybody can make but me !
F****ng world with so many nice things to try out!
Sometimes it feels like synths are just like women: you're never sure that the one standing besides you is THE right one !! hu hu hu !!!

Message 44/49             27-Nov-02  @  07:17 PM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

errata

"Synths are just like women"...

Too true, yo. Only they don't get quite as jealous when you have more than one. I know how everyone feels about excessive gear, but I honestly think a few are best for that full, rounded feeling...

For Jungle? I'd get: Access Virus, Waldorf XTK, Yamaha A3000, and an E-mu rompler (maybe the Mo Phat...)

e

Message 45/49             28-Nov-02  @  04:10 AM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

JX3P0

When you say Jungle you do mean Jump up
Rasta Jungle right?

H- Akai S series and Juno 60

Message 46/49             28-Nov-02  @  01:07 PM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

Kazhul

True, I forgot : some of the Emu lil beasts are really nasty: the Mo phatt and Turbo Phatt could be great.
Then, I can't remember but I guess there is an extension card for the Roland synths series proposing only "WORLD music" sounds: great drums to use !

Then, if you need fat basses, I'd say go for a Waldorf Q+ of QRack.
That's jungle for me: drums and phatt bass...

Message 47/49             25-Dec-02  @  02:55 AM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

djjessex

The hard to find Waldorf Pulse is THE quintessencial Jungle bass synth. Technical Itch, UFO, and optical usem i think. its famous amoung junglers. I agree with the creative aspect though, run the bass into another synths filters into a sampler or something. just have fun, fatboy slim could teach us a thing or 2 about bass too. he likes the roland sh-2000. the ms-20 comes to mind too. me and my buddy do just fine with a waldorf q and a nova.

Message 48/49             25-Dec-02  @  03:51 AM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

a.d.d.

a few years ago it seemed like every other dnb track i listened to had nord lead for either bass or lead, now its virus.

Message 49/49             25-Dec-02  @  04:55 AM   -   RE: What Synth for Jungle?

bbox

I have a love-hate relationship with junglist... I hate the fact that there is one LFO that CANNOT be midi scynced and crapy but clean user interface.. but then I get some ill ass bass sounds from it...its almost in all of my tracks...

Viewing all 49 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5

There are 49 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)