aaa Help! My bass sounds crap! - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

30-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Help! My bass sounds crap!

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 29-Oct-02  @  03:44 PM     Edit: 29-Oct-02  |  03:45 PM   -   Help! My bass sounds crap!

Steve Roughley

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Until recently, I have mainly created my bass with my EM1 electribe, but now that I am trying to synthesise it, I am having a whole lot of trouble. Whenever I try to get a tight, smooth and punchy bass out of my Virus, it ends up sounding hollow, dirty and generally sloppy. I am alright with leads and pads etc., but bass is truly eluding me.

Does anyone have any tips for getting my bass to sound tight and growly? Pongoid?

Thanks in advance.

Steve.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/32             30-Oct-02  @  02:15 PM   -   RE: Help! My bass sounds crap!

Mr Bash

Yea, I had a Virus about a year ago. I could never do a bass on it. As you say, for pads, leads, sfx, its the dogs bollocks!!!

But for bass. Nah. I know that doesn't help but just my experience with the virus. It takes up soooooooo much bloody headroom.

I use Pentagon now and am well happy with the results.

Message 12/32             30-Oct-02  @  06:02 PM   -   RE: Help! My bass sounds crap!

psylichon

Link?: Link

Mr. Bash,

I'm sorry but you msut have overlooked something. The virus is great for bass. Go try again!

psylichon

Message 13/32             30-Oct-02  @  06:10 PM   -   RE: Help! My bass sounds crap!

Meriphew

Make sure you don't have other sounds "clogging" up the same frequency range as your bass, also, keep your bass signal dry - no reverb. You can also try adding a little distortion, sometimes that will help.

Message 14/32             30-Oct-02  @  11:44 PM   -   RE: Help! My bass sounds crap!

Steve Roughley

Well lads, you've done it! I got just the bass that I was after, with minimal hassle. I just used a combination of a sine and a saw wave with some LP for smoothness, a little HP for tightening and about 50% ring mod for dirtyness. I also Set LFO1 to trigger with each note and sent that to FM amount to add a bit of movement. Simplicity is the key. I tell ya, if you have a Virus, this is the quick route to chunky, smooth bass. Of course, some post synth EQ and Comp was necessary, but a minor detail.

Cheers fellas!

Regards.

Steve.

Message 15/32             30-Oct-02  @  11:47 PM     Edit: 30-Oct-02  |  11:48 PM   -   RE: Help! My bass sounds crap!

Steve Roughley

Oh yeah, Mr Bash. When you say you 'had' a Virus, I hope you don't mean that you replaced it for the Pentagon soft synth! The Virus can do almost anything you want baby. If you tickle it right, it will repay you in sonic gold!

Regards.

Steve.

Message 16/32             31-Oct-02  @  07:41 AM   -   RE: Help! My bass sounds crap!

Pongoid

Don't be afraid to try different things to mkae good bass patches. What works in a mix is highly contextual, ya know? If you're using tight punchy kicks, you can get away with much bigger fuller sounding basses like, dual and triple pulse wave stuff, more Low pass tricks, but for deeper kicks, you may find yourself much happier using bandpass style basses, and more FM to keep the mids more pronounced and characteristic. It really depends on both the rest of the mix, and the mood you are trying to set with it. Good luck.

Ape

Message 17/32             01-Nov-02  @  04:25 PM   -   RE: Help! My bass sounds crap!

Mr Bash

OK Mr Steve Roughley you've laid down a challenge. I'll bet that I can make a phatter bass on my Pentagon than you can on your Virus. We will both post MP3's and let the other DTers decide. Interested now?

Message 18/32             01-Nov-02  @  04:26 PM   -   RE: Help! My bass sounds crap!

k

Link?:  Link

let battle commence!!

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 19/32             01-Nov-02  @  09:23 PM   -   RE: Help! My bass sounds crap!

psylichon

I'll add a Nova edge to the contest.

Psylichon

Message 20/32             01-Nov-02  @  11:33 PM   -   RE: Help! My bass sounds crap!

JX3P0

Link?:  Link

I'm gonna add some micro q sampled to Akai
5000 in a DnB context.

H- The final rinseout?stay tuned
kiddies,coming soon to a yardie's site near
you.

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 32 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)