aaa MIDI Sequencer for Live PA - Live / PA / gigging forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Live / PA / gigging

Subject: MIDI Sequencer for Live PA

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 12-Sep-02  @  07:08 PM   -   MIDI Sequencer for Live PA

Scott Digweed

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I want a hardware MIDI sequencer to perform my material live. My first question is: what is the most reliable choice among these options?

- Yamaha RS7000
- E-mu Proteus 2500
- Roland MC-80
- Akai MPC2000XL

I currently have Logic Audio (PC) running the Virus, Nord, uQ, Machinedrum, and EXS-24.

My live PA configuration would hopefully be a hardware MIDI sequencer driving the synths, and MIDI sync'd to the Machinedrum.

FYI - I've used the RM1x for a few years and while it was OK, I had a big issue with it... when switching patterns ("Styles"), it never switched to the next Style cleanly - there always seemed to be a bit of a delay.

Please comment on my evaluation of these units below.

I checked out the Proteus 2500 and RS7000 at Guitar Center yesterday. The P2500 seemed to switch patterns (i.e. when I initiated the "next pattern" manually) quite cleanly, however, none of the demo sequences were 4/4 and were of different tempos, so I couldn't tell for sure if it was a seamless transition. I believe the P2500 OS on their display model was 1.17.

On the other hand, the display XL-7 had a very noticeable delay/stutter when switching patterns, even when they were of the same tempo. I found this rather disturbing. The XL-7 OS was 1.00, which I have heard was bug-riddled.

Then I tested the RS7000. like the RM1x, it switches from Section to Section flawlessly. But when you switch from Style to Style, there was still a noticeable sonic gap between the two Styles, albeit shorter than the RM1x. Note - I had the quantize pattern setting in Global set to 1 measure.

Now the MC-80. I've never played with an MC-80 and have no clue if it switches from pattern to pattern seamlessly or if it even has the facilities to switch patterns manually. Anyone here have the MC-80? The MC-80 is quite expensive, so it better have some razzle dazzle or I'm going to pass right over it.

And the MPC-2000XL. It has the "Next Sequence" button and everything. It would seem the MPC-2000XL is ready to do switch patterns (and perhaps entire Songs?) live. But I've never been able to try it out... Anyone?

Thanks,

Scott

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/38             14-Sep-02  @  12:28 AM   -   RE: MIDI Sequencer for Live PA

Scott Digweed

PS - good luck with your show tonight... if you have a webcast, shoot me the URL, i'd love to listen in and here those tweakz ;-)

Scott

synthysyzor@adelphia.net

Message 22/38             14-Sep-02  @  12:34 AM   -   RE: MIDI Sequencer for Live PA

errata

I have always used 2 sequencers running seperate gear for seamless mixes! it's the only practicle way I've found...

I don't think one sequencer can really do it. Besides, as you've said. The gear needs time to switch from one "performance" to another.

e

Message 23/38             14-Sep-02  @  02:03 AM   -   RE: MIDI Sequencer for Live PA

k

what you do mate is you utilise a midi channel which has finished playing for the new sound so it has time to switch. but some synths remain on one fixed sound mebbe too., such as some bassline or whatever.

Message 24/38             14-Sep-02  @  03:06 PM   -   RE: MIDI Sequencer for Live PA

xoxos

Link?: Link

i reckon.

q80 has 32 tracks you can punch in and out. there is no 'switching.'

don't know about switching between songs, never tried it.. i know you can write each song to play through and go to the next tho.

Message 25/38             17-Sep-02  @  05:10 PM   -   RE: MIDI Sequencer for Live PA

Scott Digweed

bump... so Ape, how did it go?

Message 26/38             17-Sep-02  @  08:38 PM   -   RE: MIDI Sequencer for Live PA

d

whaddabout having a tape deck with some
arrhytmic ambient noisey strangeness to use
as segues.

Message 27/38             17-Sep-02  @  10:54 PM   -   RE: MIDI Sequencer for Live PA

JX3P0

Link?:  Link

MPC if you haven't chosen already.Cause you
can bang on it and wank the slider.

sad reasons but fun

Message 28/38             17-Sep-02  @  11:42 PM   -   RE: MIDI Sequencer for Live PA

Scott Digweed

haha jx. sounds like something else i already have one of. LOL

Message 29/38             18-Sep-02  @  07:47 AM   -   RE: MIDI Sequencer for Live PA

Pongoid

The show went well, thank you.

To answer your question, you would have to move to the next set of tracks, called a Part, but it is seemless in doing that, and if you have two of mmt8's, then you simply switch parts on one of them, and keep playing the other elements you were playing with the other tracks on the other sequencer. Another option is to write another track right alongside it and punch one in and one out simultaneously, but you'll have to have your human timing pretty tight. it works for me, but if it's sample loops instead of fully programmed lines, you may want to switch [arts instead, as getting that kind of timing on requires EXTREME precision. Nothing impossible, but easier to notice human error.

Ape

Message 30/38             18-Sep-02  @  04:59 PM   -   RE: MIDI Sequencer for Live PA

99devils

RM1X's are only going for $250-$300 or so these days used.. You could have two of them for the price of an MPC.

-Craig

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 38 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot