aaa Define "Live" - Live / PA / gigging forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

23-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Live / PA / gigging

Subject: Define "Live"

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Original Message                 Date: 04-Apr-02  @  04:21 PM   -   Define

Mindspawn

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

What I'm on about has been touched on in a lot of threads of late. Just what constitues "live" in the sense of an electronic performance? Is playing a DAT live? How about using a DAT for backing while you play live bits over the top? How is using a sequencer all that different? How much manipulation of yer bits does it take before you're "live?"

I know there's a lot of differences, including artist vs audience perception. Just wonderin' what y'alls take on this was...

From me own perspective what satisfies my definition of "live" is no pre-recorded songs or backing, no individual sequence in excess of 32 measures in length, and doing something a little more involved than hitting a button or a knob once every ten minutes. That's not to say if you don't meet my "criteria" that you'd get no respect, far from it actually... I'm just giving out my own definition of what makes it LIVE for me, and that ain't necessarily what makes it good by any means....

Peace

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 61/79             30-May-02  @  03:44 PM   -   RE: Define

milan

Link?: Link

people, please dont switch to laptops live just yet! its getting incredibly boring going to a show and watching a guy stand behind a small box the whole evening.

the best live act i´ve seen lately was 3-4 ppl based around a guy with SU700, SP808, and a drumpad, who´s giving the rythm and the base (not bass) for all the tracks and playing live percussion over the top via drumpad. add another synth guy, and a live bass player, and you are set. MUCH more interesting than lap top gigging, plus much more space for interaction.

cheers all, M.

Message 62/79             30-May-02  @  04:07 PM   -   RE: Define

Protocol Droid

Link?:  No link

Funny thing. Just recently at the Detroit Electronic Music Festival I saw a guy that was banging it out on a bunch of gear and wearing this tee-shirt that had a stick figure bending over a laptop, and a big red circle with a line through it around the whole thing. I would tend to agree.

- Nick

Message 63/79             30-May-02  @  04:15 PM   -   RE: Define

Protocol Droid

Craig,

what the hell you got in two racks? Why not just downsample everything into a sampler with shitloads of ram, and just bring like 2 synths to tweak + rm1x + sound reinforcement. This would be a good solution if most of that rack space is taken up by synths, which it sounds like it might be.

Just a thought. If the only reason you want to switch to lappy is because you are lazy, don't do it. I will drive over to wherever you live and shove the lappy up your ass, then sacrifice you to the Eternal Dark Lord of Front Line Assembly(TM).   In all seriousness, though, I did ALL this shit you are thinking about doing, right down to the same sequencer getting thrown to the wayside because I was tired of carrying stuff. BAD idea.

peace,

- Nick

P.S. - Experience has told me that women juice their panties when pa's have lots of knobs and buttons like that. They see just you + your neato laptop.... you can guess what they think then.

Message 64/79             30-May-02  @  06:44 PM   -   RE: Define

marianimal

Haha yeah, that's been my experience too.   I'm glad your experience has been so rewarding, Droid. I have to agree, I'd rather see/use hardware myself, but I think it's tasteful to have a laptop handy for a few things that can be thrown in with a few keystrokes or clicks. As long as no one's hovering obsessively over the damn thing.

Message 65/79             30-May-02  @  07:06 PM   -   RE: Define

errata

I somewhat fail to see what you're hovering over if your playing with a laptop. So much is automated! Or not as controllable. Besides, you'll all be cricked over in the back with sore eye's and crippled fingers after a few years of playing a laptop!!!

Long live racks o' gear! Lug it out and make it REAL!!! DJ's do the stand around thing better than we do... if you're going to show up, show the f*ck up... give people a reason to watch.

errata

My partner and I play out with one 8u rack, and 2 ultimate 3 tier stands... that's a sampler, 4 synths 2 RM1x's two 8 point sub mixers and a DJ mixer. It works!!! Nicely too.

Message 66/79             30-May-02  @  07:40 PM   -   RE: Define

Protocol Droid

marianimal, I agree that the laptop is handy when you have some practical, behind-the-scenes shit on it. But, all too often I see live pa's using nothing but that, and maybe once in a while they will have a doepfer box to tweak with and a little controller kb.

Ahh well, I'm just trying to save people from the hassle of going that route, because you will NOT be satisfied with it if you are the type that gets off on the visual as well as aural aspect of your performance. It's your world, I'm just gigging in it....

- Nick

Message 67/79             31-May-02  @  02:18 PM     Edit: 31-May-02  |  08:18 PM   -   RE: Define

99devils

Droid: That's all I'm bringing! 10 space rack with Virus, mixer, and Sony DPS-V55. The other rack holds a power conditioner and an S6000 studio. Then I've got the RM1X and Nord Keys. 2 modules, 1 sampler, 1 sequencer, 1 FX box, and a small mixer.

The other option I had in mind was to get the Virus and mixer into a pop-up mixer case, and put the Sony and Akai in one case, but that's gonna weigh a ton   That S6000 is fucking heavy.

-Craig

Message 68/79             31-May-02  @  10:14 PM   -   RE: Define

influx

WAY too much thinking and not enough doing.

me.

Message 69/79             01-Jun-02  @  12:14 AM   -   RE: Define

Protocol Droid

Craig,

dude, that is so not a lot of stuff. Plus, it's your own damn fault for buying that 50,000 jigaton sampler with the friggin 17" monitor on it and shit (read: I am jealous that you got the S6000   Seriously though, just use the rig you have now. That is a really nice setup, and very portable compared to a lot of pa's.

The Dark Lord commands it. The Dark Lord wills it. The Dark Lord doesn't want to see Craig weeping over his fried laptop with all the malfunctioning software in the middle of a big, possibly career launching show.

- Nick
(a.k.a Master of all things blown out of proportion...)

Message 70/79             01-Jun-02  @  04:18 AM   -   RE: Define

marianimal

Yes, exactly, why are they hovering over them watching the software run and ruining their backs but nevertheless I've seen this a number of times. Makes me feel like I'm in a library instead of at a party.

Pages: 1 ... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

There are 79 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)