Category: Products / pc hardware / pci stereo i/o
Added: 15-Dec-98 | Author: admin
New price: 699 | S/H price: Not listed
EMU APSThe soundcard war hots up as we reach the end of the 98.... Surely they will become more prevelent as the money market switches to PC's and more manufacturers get their chips onto cards... but... where are the compromises ?...
The emu APS is not cheap.... it Uses the EMU/CREATIVE soundfonts to load up samples.... ther is a bunch of EMU soundfont cd's which claim to feature the best of the Emu hardware product voices...
It also has a synth chip on board... someone will no doubt tell us the chip until I can talk to Emu & get the spec's... but in essence, you get a synth & sampler using soundfonts... all in all 64 note poly of samples.... but I dunno if that includes the synth voices too....
Well, the RA demo's at the Emu site do sound good... they are very convincing, one demo is decent US style garage , with nasty FM organs the lot... so we'll presume the EMU Vintage Keys sounds are on the card somewhere!....
The card comes with a h/d & sequencer s/w... and an editor... the Vital questions if I were a potential buyer are these:
- Can I edit the soundfonts to merge sounds from different sets to load up for tracks I'm working on?
- Can I access & edit the sounds, (both samples & synth chip) simply, 'ON-THE-FLY'.. that is... whilst the sequencer s/w is playing the sounds....So i can step thu sounds as a pattern plays... find one & edit it to fit better or change it?
- Once I've edited a synth sound, where can I store it?
- can I access these facilities whilst my current favoured s/w sequencer is playing?
- How well do the drivers work with my current Sequencer & H/D s/w ?
- Are the FX accessible by the audio tracks of my sequencer s/w ?...
- Can I put different amounts of revern say on each of say 8 audio tracks on cakewalk or Logic?
Finally, is it all-in-all efficient enuff to use at that price, or would I be better getting a hardware unit by Emu, & a cheaper Creative card to handle soundfonts ?
I will get this card to demo asap after new DT is online.... I want to try it and also the SBLIve... in a real world setting, with Cakewalk, Logic, and VST...
Its got a 96bd SN spec.... Active-X will be implemented in a near-future update.... maybe that means it's fx etc will be active-x from that point, appearing on the FX lists of our favourite sequencer s/w's......
It's got a front panel drivebay section to plug into which also features a phantom powered mic socket apparently......
it has s/pdif, but i think it is set at 48K which is useless.... there may be support in the future it says, for more outputs... currently it has stereo out analog...
so.... These question I need to know If i were to spend that much money on a card... IF they can do those things... then it starts to look very good.... a PCI card....
Comments please then ... especially from users who are encountering the above issues..... I'll have a chat with EMU asap & try to get one to use....
Product Manuals or Files
More choices in this product category from other manufacturers:
Last added comment
Looking for the manual? - Check this page above under the heading: 'Product manual or files' - We might have it!
[back to top]
Total stars: 23 | Total votes: 9